Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2Shot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Which of these factory loads would you choose for Mule Deer and Elk at 400 yards and under? Before you say whichever shoots the best, I’ve shot them all and they were all pretty similar groups. I know I’d be fine with any of these but I have to pick one.

Barnes VorTx 150TTSX, chrono 3290fps, .350” group

Barnes VorTx 165TTSX, chrono 3110fps, .375” group

Nosler Trophy Grade 180AB, chrono 2930fps, .4” group

Federal Premium, 180 Trophy Bonded Tip, chrono 3040fps .4” group

These four shot the best out of my custom GA Precision 300WSM, I tried others but they didn’t do as well. Thanks!

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d vote for the 180 Trophy Bonded myself. It’s been nothing but excellent for our hunting crew on deer and elk. All things being the same you can’t make a bad choice.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So, you are saying you confirmed the ammo shoots .4" at 100 yards, but you don't know how it does at your intended 400 yard range? Sorry, but I'd confirm at that distance and get back to us. Otherwise, use the federal premium. I don't trust the Barnes Vortex ammo. A buddy of mine used it and damn near blew up his rifle. I pulled the ammo apart and found the primer pockets to be oversized.. Your risk though.. Barnes makes awesome bullets, but they are severely lacking on their loaded ammo..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Man you are in fat city if those are your choices. They're all good. I'd be inclined to drop the 150 TTSX from your choices, given the others.I did kill one elk at 600 yards with a 300 mag accubond load; the bullet only made it through one shoulder and just barely into the other shoulder and I ended up shooting the animal again.

2Shot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
So, you are saying you confirmed the ammo shoots .4" at 100 yards, but you don't know how it does at your intended 400 yard range? Sorry, but I'd confirm at that distance and get back to us. Otherwise, use the federal premium. I don't trust the Barnes Vortex ammo. A buddy of mine used it and damn near blew up his rifle. I pulled the ammo apart and found the primer pockets to be oversized.. Your risk though.. Barnes makes awesome bullets, but they are severely lacking on their loaded ammo..

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would not say 400 is my intended range, I’d prefer to keep at 300 or less but if the conditions are right, I feel fairly comfortable at 400 yards. I’ve only shot these out to 250 yards and it was about what I expected, groups around 1.5” for all, it was a little windy and I didn’t have the best rest that day. (Honestly I did have one 2” group with the Nosler ammo but it was my fault)

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
At 400yds and under it doesn't matter. I've witnessed the lowly 308 win go break a large bull moose's neck at a confirmed 423yds destroying and shattering vertebrae and creating much carnage with bone frags using cheap Federal 180gr cup and core factory ammo. Cheap ammo and a rifle that wasn't a GA Precision and it couldn't shoot pencil lead groups. Still it worked from the hands of a highly disabled person and took down a big critter like a bolt of lightning as if his a switch was turned off.

Same person used the same 308win and rifle to take a nice bull elk at just past 300yds with a side lung shot. Success. That elk had two old bullets in scar tissue we recovered and two broadheads healed over in his spine. Little 308win took it down. I can only imagine the 300WSM being "more better" and being a Hammer on nearly anything with the loads you shot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
165gr TTSX!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
That elk had two old bullets in scar tissue we recovered and two broadheads healed over in his spine. Little 308win took it down. I can only imagine the 300WSM being "more better" and being a Hammer on nearly anything with the loads you shot.

Wow! The amount of pain that animal endured must have been incredible but it’s a testament to the tenacity and toughness of wild critters. Any idea what bullets (caliber & construction) were in the scar tissue?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.