Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16561 12/05/00
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When I am out varmint hunting (hence this category) I sometimes see a highway sign that catches my attention, and is worthy of a photo. How about you? Have any good/unusual sign photos to share?<P>This sign was spotted while I was shooting prairie dogs in the Thunder Basin National Grasslands in Wyoming..... Guess such as Chevys, Toyotas, and Dodges are not allowed! [Linked Image]<BR> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=10030561&p=34751234&Sequence=1[/img] <BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
GB1

#16562 12/12/00
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, here's another one. In most parts of the country, there are signs announcing a game crossing, and sometimes even for a specific distance, ie, the "next mile" or something like that. Here in "The Arizona Outback", as the area from Wickenburg west to the Colorado River is called, the distance from town-to-town is often more than most folks are accustomed to. And there is a very good population of wildlife, which crosses the road wherever it chooses, at unpredictable locations. So, you find signs like this. This particular one is the greatest distance I have noticed.<BR> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=9854820&p=34740640&Sequence=1[/img] <BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A> <BR>

Critr
#16563 12/14/00
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey, NM Kid! How about that!! NO MASK!!! [Linked Image] <BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
#16564 12/14/00
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't have a photo of this one, and it really wasn't a road sign, but it fits loosely into this group, and is worth telling. After shooting prairie dogs near Zortman, Montana for a couple of weeks, we were headed east on a highway across the east Montana prairies. The landscape was open and clean. With almost no fences, cattle moved about munching grass wherever they pleased, and acted as if they knew they had the right-of-way. The roadsides were so clean that when I saw an old kitchen stove off to the side, it really looked out of place. As we passed by it, it was sitting on the shoulder of a gravel road leading from the highway. The oven door was open, and a large hand-painted sign leaned against the stove, with the following in large lettering "OPEN RANGE". [Linked Image]<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
#16565 02/05/01
M
M
I don't have a picture of this one either, but in most places around the country you see "Deer Xing" signs. Well if you ever venture onto a Marine Corps base (incidentally, these bases are open to civilians on a lottery basis and usually have outstanding hunting) you will see a sign that says "Tank Xing". Talk about big game [Linked Image].<p>[This message has been edited by MarinePMI (edited February 05, 2001).]

IC B2

#16566 02/07/01
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Critr,<P>Glad to see your showing your face a little. That Ford did a great job while I was down there hunting with you. So have you been doing any guiding lately? I am back at school so it looks like I wont be doing any calling for awhile. It will be time to wreek havoc on the p-dogs in a couple of months. Well need to run, talk to you later.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
#16567 02/08/01
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey, Chad. I have hunted PDs a few places in NM, most recently near Springer. What area do you hunt them?<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
#16568 02/09/01
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Critr,<P>I hunt the p-dogs about 20 miles from Farmington on the reservation. I go and clean house, go back the next day and there are coyotes all over the corpses. <P>There is a good town located about 60 miles from the house too. Its nothing like what I have heard people talk about. But I can usually get 30-40 in an afternoon. Plus it gets me out of the house.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
#16569 02/10/01
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That doesn't sound half bad. You know, I have some prairie dog ammo that is getting a bit old..... Maybe if we went out there and.... Then I could bring my calling gear and AR-15.....<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
#16570 02/10/01
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Critr,<P>Well I have not been calling in a long time. Last time I went I tried for a bobcat and had no luck. I did find some areas with lots of tracks. The tracks were a fair size bigger than my female I got earlier this year. I am thinking this is a mature male maybe in the 40 lb range.<P>The area were he hangs out at is near a small lake were I hunt geese. Several times I would leave a bird for him. Only to come back the next morning and be gone. His tracks would be all over the place. Need to get an electronic caller and a woodpecker tape. Sure would be nice to call this one in.<P>Outside of that the coyotes have litteraly vanished. I think its due to the mating season. Hard to say.<P>Prarie dogs should be coming out soon. I hope there is a good population of them this year. <P>I guess the Jicarillia apache reservation is having a guided p-dog hunt. For 500 bucks you get three days of hunting in. There are thousands of them and they are hardly ever hunted. Boy it could be alot of fun. I would say 1,000 rounds at a minumum for that hunt, and at least three rifles to interchange to cool the barrels off. You could make one heck of a vhs tape.<P>So how hot is it getting in Phoenix? I am sure its hit in the 80's by now. Before long you will be ready to head to the mountains to cool off. You should go to Monticello Utah on the blue moutains and call yourself in a lion or bear. Lots of them up there. Not uncommon to see a bear a day. Lots of deer for them to feed on. I have seen several cat kills too. Well need to run,<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
IC B3

#16571 02/10/01
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Chad. It's still colder than usual here; only got up into the 50s today. Still lots of nice weather to come. Maybe this spring we can give that cat a try, then head over to an area in NM where you can squeeze off all the rounds you want at PDs. Last time I was there I shot up to 350/day, and I shoot single-shot, very slowly, and spend more time cleaning than shooting. Basically all shots were inside 200 yards. And the cost??? Well, the ranchers were happy to have me rid them of some of the pests! [Linked Image] And I didn't have time to get to all the places I was told about to hunt. [Linked Image]<P>Hang in there! Summer is coming.<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
#16572 02/12/01
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Critr,<P>Well yesterday it hit the high 50*'s and today will be in the low 60*'s. So it seems like we are starting to warm up just a bit. <P>What parts of NM did you hunt prarie dogs? I think Springer is on the eastern side of the state, not sure though, have to look at a map and refresh my memory. I can only imagine shooting 350 prarie dogs in a day. Must be thousands of them. If you want to hook up when it warms up and go and a prarie dog massacre I am all for it. I have a few rigs that would like to see the duty. Of course I would have the .222, Rem 700 Bull Barrell 4-12 power 25-06, and the Ruger No. 1 in 22-250 with a 6-18. That should cover most of the ranges.<P>I get out of school in early May. Then I am somewhat free until school starts up again in August. <P>Oh, just about forgot.. NM may be passing a conceal carry permit, its about time. Should know here very soon. An armed society is a civil society. Well need to run, talk to you later.<P>Chad<P><p>[This message has been edited by NM Kid (edited February 12, 2001).]

NM Kid<BR>
#16573 02/14/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite sign from Camp LeJeune and I always said I would bring one home and just stick it up somewhere was " Warning Artillery Fire over Roads Day & Night". I was in Artillery and know how bad we could miss. It never failed to have me paying attention. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
#16574 02/14/01
M
M
Lone Eagle, You weren't one of the batteries that dropped a round out on Lyman road were you [Linked Image]? Back in '90 some arty guys gave my platoon a working over on the G-4 range. Nothing like waking up at 3:04am to short 155mm rounds landing around you! I still think that was the fastest I ever dug a hole! LOL (Luckily, no one was hurt. Except maybe ringing ears) ~MarinePMI

#16575 02/14/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wasn't me I didn't get there 'til mid-92. I almost think it was 3/10. Not sure. 1/10 just explodes rounds over their own heads. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
#16576 02/15/01
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hey Critr,<P>Check this link out... NM is paying a 2,000 bounty on Mt. Lions...... I am going to try to hook up with some locals who run hounds. If they pay that ammt out that would cover the tanning or full mount. I am going to be seeing these guys this weekend. I guess the quots is one a day too... So it sounds like there a bit thick right now. Well need to go,<P>Chad<P><A HREF="http://www.possecountry.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001729.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.possecountry.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001729.html</A><BR>

NM Kid<BR>
#16577 02/20/01
M
M
Lone Eagle, Mid-92 huh? Did you know Cpl Tanghe over at Regt Comm (or Sgt Baker for that matter)? Give a holler if you want to get in touch with him (Tanghe) still got his number somewhere around here...~MarinePMI<p>[This message has been edited by MarinePMI (edited February 21, 2001).]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 16,265 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,202
Posts18,543,596
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.