Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Ozarker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Which McMillian stock pattern is closest to the Kimber Montana?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hunter’s compact pattern in edge (hunter’s edge) done as an adl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 11/04/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Thanks for the information.

+1!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'll have to dissent with my friend AK.

While the Hunters Edge is similar in weight and size, the comb is nothing like the Kimber. The Hunters Edge has drop in the comb, the Kimber has negative drop. The Kimber handles recoil VERY well, the McMillan does not. I quite literally despise the Edge fill McMillan Compact and its antiquated design, and got rid of the last one I'll ever own last year.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad

I'll have to dissent with my friend AK.

While the Hunters Edge is similar in weight and size, the comb is nothing like the Kimber. The Hunters Edge has drop in the comb, the Kimber has negative drop. The Kimber handles recoil VERY well, the McMillan does not. I quite literally despise the Edge fill McMillan Compact and its antiquated design, and got rid of the last one I'll ever own last year.

Brad is absolutely correct, the Hunters Edge is an antiquated design and is significantly different from the Kimber.
The Mcmillan stock which compares most closely to the Kimber is the Mountaineer, while the KS stock is somewhat comparable. Not sure if Mcmillan will still make either of those, plus those options had limited mold availability. You'd do best looking somewhere other than Mcmillan for a modern design open grip hunting stock (read: comb at the proper height for cheek weld), such as the Manners EH8.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Brad and prairie goat are absolutely correct wrt more drop on the compact than the Kimber.

My mind automatically went to “currently available” but no where did the OP state this. I probably should have also asked the OP for more clarification on what he meant by closest.

The ks is my favorite McMillan offering and IMO the best adl they ever made; it is also nearly 3 inches longer than the montana stock in the forend and it wears a cheek piece.

The mountaineer is a nice stock but feels very different in the wrist compared to a montana. Done as an adl, it has a pronounced flat spot just in front of the trigger guard (almost as bad as the MR done as an adl) but it is definitely very close wrt the comb.

Neither of the above to are currently available through McMillan.

The privateer Don linked is a great stock and nearly identical to what was used on the fieldcraft sans the cheek piece, but it has a more closed grip than the Kimber stock.

A brown precision without the cheek piece will also be quite close if options extend beyond McMillan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FYI that older sticky above "Photo essay of McMillan stocks for Model 70" has pictures of several Model 70 stocks and a Montana on template for comparison.

I have M70 Hunter Compact Edge, but I haven't shot a Montana to compare. At least to me both the Legend & Brown PoundR (with cheek piece) have less drop than Compact Edge.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I usually find myself in agreement with Brad but my experience is different. My 375 H&H has a Hunters Edge stock. It weighs 7.5# w/o shells and sling. For me it handles recoil very well. Also it will accommodate a much larger barrel than that which McM suggests. I have just ordered one to use on my 6.5 Asp which will be seeing a lot of use.

I have owned three Kimber lw bolt guns and just didn’t like the dimensions of their stocks. I tried to like them but they didn’t fit me as well as the Hunters Edge.

Last edited by RinB; 11/04/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad
The Hunters Edge has drop in the comb, the Kimber has negative drop. The Kimber handles recoil VERY well, the McMillan does not.

Urban legend hatched by gun scribblers.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"The ks is my favorite McMillan offering and IMO the best adl they ever made; it is also nearly 3 inches longer than the montana stock in the forend and it wears a cheek piece."

I love the McM KS on my .338-06. Best stock I've ever had.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kimber, drop at comb .43", drop at heel .54"

Edge, drop at comb .625", drop at heel .875"

~.195" difference in comb height. ~.335 difference in the drop at heel

I've always felt the Edge stock handled recoil well. I wouldn't mind a higher comb on the Edge stock, but unless shooting prone, I prefer it to the Montana stock. The drop at the heel may be beneficial to some people.

Everyone has their preferences.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB

I usually find myself in agreement with Brad but my experience is different. My 375 H&H has a Hunters Edge stock. It weighs 7.5# w/o shells and sling. For me it handles recoil very well. Also it will accommodate a much larger barrel than that which McM suggests. I have just ordered one to use on my 6.5 Asp which will be seeing a lot of use.

I have owned three Kimber lw bolt guns and just didn’t like the dimensions of their stocks. I tried to like them but they didn’t fit me as well as the Hunters Edge.

Same here Rick. It might be a bit blasphemous but I haven’t noticed any recoil difference going from the Legend to the Hunters EDGE on my Mashburn and it’s a lighter package now.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I need a rifle stock that handles many situations pretty well. The Hunters Edge does that. It is versatile. On any day I may shoot prone, offhand, crouching under a bush, and in contorted positions that happen. I like a stock that has zero cast at the heel and at the toe. A little more drop at the heel than the nose of the comb helps in the more upright positions and yet the stock is straight enough that it works for prone. Lastly, it isn’t a fat ugly pig.

The PRS and tacti-cool stocks aren’t versatile. Just read about some character who wanted a “portable” rifle for hunting in the Middle Fork area of the Salmon. He concocted an 11+ pound monster as his light weight and portable outfit. Mostly he is a gong banger certainly not a back country hunter.

Last edited by RinB; 11/04/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here Rick. It might be a bit blasphemous but I haven’t noticed any recoil difference going from the Legend to the Hunters EDGE on my Mashburn and it’s a lighter package now.

Interesting. Dober one time asked me what I thought of the Compact Hunters Edge. I told him I thought it might be the worst stock I’ve ever used. He looked surprised and said, “I thought I was the only one that felt that way!”

He might hate it more than I do…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Rick, that only goes to illustrate we’re all individuals!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Kimber Montana has the nicest stock I’ve ever handled. The only other one that has felt as nice to me is the Rem 700 mountain rifle pattern. The sako Hunter is one I wouldn’t mind trying though either.

Last edited by Model70Fan; 11/04/21.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Brad,
Regarding Mark…remember he shot out multiple 340’s…on chucks. Could have rattled his processor. Laughing.
Trust all is well with you.
R

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Brad,
One thing both stocks have in common…no cheekpiece. I don’t care for the things. Useless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,414
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.