Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've noticed that some of the older bullets in my gun room look... not so good.

Another handloader told me that bullets age. The metal changes. The jackets become harder and more brittle while the lead becomes softer and weaker.

Are there studies that show this? Do any of you have experience with this?

Yes, I have some bullets from several decades ago...

Thanks, Guy

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m watching this with interest myself. I think most of the Bitterroots I have are from the 70’s and 80’s.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have Sierra bullets from the mid 1960's.They still work as good as ever. Also have some Korean war surplus ammo that still works fine. How old is too old?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In today's time I sure would not hesitate to use any bullet if I can't see damage other than a bit of tarnish. I have some from the 60's.
Have a great day.
Jim

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have never heard of bullets going bad from age. I use bullets that are 30 years old and older and have never noticed any difference from new. Technology changes fast, but the bullet stays the same. Good shooting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ugly bullet kill like Purdue ones

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guy,
I would think the metal in slugs would be more conducive to change if powder is contacting the bullet (i.e. loaded cases). I have seen lead oxidize over time to look frosted. Just my $.02.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We've been shooting older Ammo for years! Shoots well and no visible problems!
Now does that mean were taking game, and hitting close to where we aimed, and still doing well?
Don't know! No complaints here!
We also use modern Ammo.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Metal is metal. It doesn't behave any differently than when used as electrical wire, fishing weights or anything else. Why would it behave any differently in an inert environment such as ammunition?

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
30 year ammo gives saggy ass boat tails. Have some ammo from the second world war that stills fires and hits the target.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I built a custom .284 Win and given my legendary frugality I used some very old Winchester cup and core 150 gr bullets in it that had been poorly stored over on the coast. I noticed that the bullets were almost acting like Partitions in various mediums, snow, sand, sawdust, wet phone books etc. Curious, I sawed a few of them apart and discovered that a gray corrosion had grown betwixt jacket and core, and gouging, prying, chiseling would hardly separate the core and jacket. The noses still mushroomed nicely, so I went ahead and used several of them on game with perfect success. Unique to the metallurgy of the core and jacket? I don't know.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hardness of cast bullet changes cast with wheel weights and heat treated, I believe in the first couple of weeks.
As far as jacketed bullets, if you keep them out in the barn where temperature and humidity changes greatly, the bullets will tarnish, even to affect performance, I suppose if long enough in these conditions.

I have all my components, ammo and guns in a climate controlled room.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/30/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I built a custom .284 Win and given my legendary frugality I used some very old Winchester cup and core 150 gr bullets in it that had been poorly stored over on the coast. I noticed that the bullets were almost acting like Partitions in various mediums, snow, sand, sawdust, wet phone books etc. Curious, I sawed a few of them apart and discovered that a gray corrosion had grown betwixt jacket and core, and gouging, prying, chiseling would hardly separate the core and jacket. The noses still mushroomed nicely, so I went ahead and used several of them on game with perfect success. Unique to the metallurgy of the core and jacket? I don't know.

Flintlocke,
Good illustration of they key lesson here.
Storage matters. If stored properly is a cool dry place ammo will stay good almost indefinitely. If conditions are hot, humid, or in other ways unfavorable, the story will be different.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Copper and lead are elements, I dont think they change. They might get tarnished but that is about it. I could be wrong though. As for me, I never noticed a difference. However, I used one of my dads old 22 lr bullets to kill a coon a few years back. It didnt sound very loud , but it killed the coon. I dont think we need to worry much . The 22 lr must have been from 1952 or earlier, maybe as late as 1960 though. It was at least 58 yrs old.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
These two bullets were 200 grain Lubaloy round nose from an 8x56 MS. The factory ammo was over 75 years old according to a couple of local collectors. I’m no metallurgist but they appear to have worked as intended. The cow moose wasn’t any too fond of the performance. The young lady who launched them was please with their performance regardless of their antiquity.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I knew how to post photos I would do a picture of a bullet I removed from a bison I shot with a 50-70 Government. I used a round of ammo loaded in the 1870's. Mushroomed just fine.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
If I knew how to post photos I would do a picture of a bullet I removed from a bison I shot with a 50-70 Government. I used a round of ammo loaded in the 1870's. Mushroomed just fine.

If you’d like I can send my phone in a PM and you can text the picture and I’ll post it for you.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any that are over 10 years old are likely to be bad. Send them to me so I can dispose of them. Primers and powder over 3 years old I will take also.

I'm here to help.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have some OLD (‘80’s ?) Hornady 115 gr HP’s with some exposed lead. The exposed lead is oxidized somewhat but the jackets look good. I think they would clean up ok with some steel wool or Scotchbrite pads.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If they get too crusty looking you can run them a cycle in a case vibrator and they'll be like new . I have some Speer Carcano bullets that are over 50 years old , they look old but shoot like new .

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 11/05/21.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,347
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.