Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Maven has an excellent 18 x 56. I haven’t checked them out, but the reviews are good.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SLM
Looked at a twin spotter set up once and couldn’t imagine packing that thing around.

Gemby, do you guys pack them around, or how do you utilize them mostly?

Have you compared a twin spotter set up to a BTX?

we pack them, my personal set has a titanium bracket, really cuts down on the weight, but cost alot more than aluminum

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by SLM
Looked at a twin spotter set up once and couldn’t imagine packing that thing around.

we pack them, my personal set has a titanium bracket, really cuts down on the weight, but cost alot more than aluminum

Realize that all Pa l/r hunting is done from a fixed location.
Wether you hike to a location, or drive a vehicle to it, once there you remain there till for whatever reason you decide to leave. If you move to another location, same thing applies, you stay till its time to leave.
As for the Twin spotters, pretty much all Pa hunters are using them.
The weight can vary considerably based upon the scopes used and the design of the bracket.
I personally have 6 different sets of them from 50 mm to 77 mm objective size.
You cant compare even the very best large hand helds with them for all day glassing.
And we have compared them side by side on the same day looking at the same things.
Having the ability to change eyepiece power is in itself a big plus for them
I will put a set of my older 50 mm spotters next to a set of 15x56 Swaros and really enjoy watching the sweat roll off the Swaro owners brow over the massive cost difference.
And what do you do if they should happen to get knocked over while on a hunt?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by yobuck

Pick them up.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SLM

The sheep guide I used to work for had Doctor bino's that were similar to a twin spotter but the glass was not as good as his true twin spotters. We tried the Swaro BTX and it is fantastic, but has a big down side........it only comes in angled. If Swarovski were to make a straight BTX it might make twin spotters obsolete

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Maven has an excellent 18 x 56. I haven’t checked them out, but the reviews are good.

I put a link on my first post on this thread if you want to check them out

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by SLM

Realize that all Pa l/r hunting is done from a fixed location.
Wether you hike to a location, or drive a vehicle to it, once there you remain there till for whatever reason you decide to leave. If you move to another location, same thing applies, you stay till its time to leave.
As for the Twin spotters, pretty much all Pa hunters are using them.
The weight can vary considerably based upon the scopes used and the design of the bracket.
I personally have 6 different sets of them from 50 mm to 77 mm objective size.
You cant compare even the very best large hand helds with them for all day glassing.
And we have compared them side by side on the same day looking at the same things.
Having the ability to change eyepiece power is in itself a big plus for them
I will put a set of my older 50 mm spotters next to a set of 15x56 Swaros and really enjoy watching the sweat roll off the Swaro owners brow over the massive cost difference.

I agree, there no hand that will compare to twin spotters for all day glassing I take my spacemaster 9 out of 10 times

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elkrazy,

Am in the middle of a coues wt hunt. Two friends joined us to help glass yesterday. Both of them have the Swaro NL pure12x42 you mentioned. They both sold their older 15X swaros for these. I looked through them and man what resolution! I must add they both have tandem Swarovski spotting scope setups with a custom bracket they own too. With those pairs of optics they have no need for 15X.

I still glass with my 15X and not considering any changes.

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/23/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am reading this thread with enthusiasm, as I am contemplating getting some 12X glass.

A few times this past week I left my 15X56 Meoptas at camp and took my 10X40 Zeiss instead, just playing around to see how big of a difference it would make while deer and elk hunting. Lately I have been leaving my spotter behind since I don't need to count points or determine full curl, ect. for legality. Three separate times in the last week with my 10Xs I was wishing for my 15Xs as I just could not 100% tell if I was looking at something with antlers or not at the ranges I was glassing---but my buddy with his 15X56 SLC could easily tell.

The more I hunt even moderately open country with my 15Xs the more everything else gets left behind, but I am curious if a good pair of 12X would work for me as well.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am reading this thread with enthusiasm, as I am contemplating getting some 12X glass.

A few times this past week I left my 15X56 Meoptas at camp and took my 10X40 Zeiss instead, just playing around to see how big of a difference it would make while deer and elk hunting. Lately I have been leaving my spotter behind since I don't need to count points or determine full curl, ect. for legality. Three separate times in the last week with my 10Xs I was wishing for my 15Xs as I just could not 100% tell if I was looking at something with antlers or not at the ranges I was glassing---but my buddy with his 15X56 SLC could easily tell.

The more I hunt even moderately open country with my 15Xs the more everything else gets left behind, but I am curious if a good pair of 12X would work for me as well.

I have a pair of 12.5 Tract binoculars and they are excellent, for me they do not replace my 15s which I use the most

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've owned and used both. Both worked well, but a few times at long range I was wishing for more power than the 12's. I've never felt that way with the 15's. Yes the 12's were useful with a monopod where the 15's not really, but I use a tripod with either so its a moot point for me. YMMV

Bill

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have 12x and 15x and employ in different scenarios.

The 12X on the neck harness when I am backpacking in the back-40 and a compact-ish spotter in the bag both used on a lighter weight carbon tripod.

The 15x and a bigger spotter on a heavier tripod when I am covering ground from one vantage point to another.

But as MD said, the Duovid is an intriguing option which I have thought about for some time, however, Leica after-sales support seems hit or miss which prevents me from
jumping on the Duovid.

-D

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess im from the old school. I believe 15x60 will always be better than 15x56, but that option sadly has gone away unless you buy the oldies but goodies lol.
I also believe 12x50 or better when it comes to 12x, i think 12x42 would lose early morning and late evening glassing light minutes. I could be wrong especially with the newer coatings and such.
This weekend i spent some time glassing a unit i havent been in. Gotta tell you, i found glassing more comfortable with the 12x50 than the 15x56s. However, i had to switch over to the 15s on occassion to identify what i was looking at when i glassing beyond the distance i should have lol.
All in all ive never said i wish i had less power but i have said dang i wish i had a little more magnification. Even at 300 yards my 15s suck with the narrow fov, but im ok moving my binos a little more compared to my 12s.
Cant go wrong with either if you are chasing big deer, big racks will be visible with either. If you are a meat hunter, seeing spikes might be an issue at long range tho.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a set of 20 year old Burris glasses that are 12x50s. They are the American made "signature series". They have been exceptional. I have actually never felt the need for another set of binos in the "all around" category. I bought my dad a set of Swarovski 10x about 12 years ago or so and in comparing them in the field, there are times when the Burris12x have just a slight edge.

If I could find another set of American made Burris binos I would snatch them up just for backups if the price was reasonable.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm a little different than you. I'm wanting to go from 10x to 12x. I older I get the more power I want in scopes and binoculars.

Kirk Furniss
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.