Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Can someone explain the similarities and difference between the actions in these two rifles? Does the Kimber .257 Roberts use the same action as is used in the .243 ? I can't see why a base model Cooper costs twice as much as a wood stocked Kimber so I'm asking.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Kimber guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy?

Swifty
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The biggest similarity is that they are both bolt action rifles, outside of that they are two very different action designs. You would be better served by doing some specification/design research on them and handling them rather than trying to determine the difference on others opinions.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I will save you a lot of wasted time.Buy the Cooper.It will shoot good.If you buy the Kimber,its a crap shoot.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think they're different action designs and also scale of economy. Kimber made many many more rifles while Cooper is pretty small. Also if more gaugeing and checking specs and details is completed thru manufacturing that raises prices considerably. Attention to details is often built into pricing

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why does anything cost what is cost.

Cooper is a push feed action. Kimber is CRF. I know that the Cooper 7x57 is built on a longer action or at least not a true short action to allow seating the bullet out. I’d have to believe that .257 Roberts is also. The Kimber 84M is obviously a “medium action” also.

S
S
The Cooper Rifle for 257 Roberts is built on the Model 54 short action (308-243 size). I have one in 243 so I tried a 257 Roberts loaded cartridge in the Cooper magazine and it works OK, but not a great deal of room to spare.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a Kimber 84M Classic Select in .257 Roberts and a Cooper Model 22 Classic in .257 Roberts. Both have been excellent in their accuracy and function. The Kimber has Mauser-type action, feeding from a magazine with a dropping floorplate below the stock. The Cooper is a push feed single-shot, no magazine. Kimber has a short action, in the .308 case family. The Cooper action can accommodate longer cartridges. I have had no problems whatsoever with rounds loaded to the length indicated by the throats of the rifles.

The Kimber is very light with a 22 inch slim barrel. The Cooper has a thick stock and a thick, almost varmint type, 24 inch barrel. I like them both and use them both for hunting deer in Georgia and South Carolina.

Last edited by SeeDepp; 11/13/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SilverState
The Cooper Rifle for 257 Roberts is built on the Model 54 short action (308-243 size). I have one in 243 so I tried a 257 Roberts loaded cartridge in the Cooper magazine and it works OK, but not a great deal of room to spare.

Until about 2007 there wasn’t a model 54. The model 22 was and still is chambered in 257 Roberts.

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Gun shops around here suck. I've seen one very plain Cooper and one Kimber Select. I thought the Kimber was far more expensive looking. I've also seen exactly one Sako 75 laminated. For two hours in every direction it's the the same plastic junk and lots of AR's and hand guns. Must be nice having a real gun store that carries nice rifles and shotguns near. I get the Cooper might have had more man hours in it, but it sure didn't show. I've not seen the higher grades----they look sweet on the website.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Gun shops around here suck. I've seen one very plain Cooper and one Kimber Select. I thought the Kimber was far more expensive looking. I've also seen exactly one Sako 75 laminated. For two hours in every direction it's the the same plastic junk and lots of AR's and hand guns. Must be nice having a real gun store that carries nice rifles and shotguns near. I get the Cooper might have had more man hours in it, but it sure didn't show. I've not seen the higher grades----they look sweet on the website.

Don't agonize over intagibles and buy which ever one suit your fancy, unless you are dying in the near future you can buy one and if you don't like it then buy the other.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by drover

Don't agonize over intagibles and buy which ever one suit your fancy, unless you are dying in the near future you can buy one and if you don't like it then buy the other.

drover

Not agonizing over anything. It's a simple question.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 11/15/21.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SeeDepp
I have a Kimber 84M Classic Select in .257 Roberts and a Cooper Model 22 Classic in .257 Roberts. Both have been excellent in their accuracy and function. The Kimber has Mauser-type action, feeding from a magazine with a dropping floorplate below the stock. The Cooper is a push feed single-shot, no magazine. Kimber has a short action, in the .308 case family. The Cooper action can accommodate longer cartridges. I have had no problems whatsoever with rounds loaded to the length indicated by the throats of the rifles.

The Kimber is very light with a 22 inch slim barrel. The Cooper has a thick stock and a thick, almost varmint type, 24 inch barrel. I like them both and use them both for hunting deer in Georgia and South Carolina.

Thanks that was helpful. I suppose now you would have bought the Cooper as a repeater?

Last edited by dimecovers5; 11/15/21.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
to be honest, I did not understand that the Cooper 22 was a single-shot when I ordered it. It was my first sporter rifle ever. I selected it by reading a lot about the quality of Cooper and the perfection of the .257 Roberts for the game in my part of the country. It was meant to be the first and last sporter I ever bought, so I put price out of consideration (though it was a real reach for my pocketbook, to be honest).

When the Cooper arrived about ten months later, I was not upset that it was a single -shot, having read meantime all the benefits of the solid, magazine-free, receiver. Plus - and this has nothing to do with my skill - I've never needed a second shot on an animal. In my world, the ranges are short, and the game lightly constructed. I hunt on a rest inside a sturdy blind. Its a matter of selecting the deer, not hunting any.

The Kimber was purchase as a result of reading too many posts on 24hourcampfire. Hearing so many fights for and against the brand and model, I had to find out for myself what the deal was about. In my case, an absolutely gorgeous Kimber showed up after months on order. The thing shot as well as I could, but its just about too pretty to risk banging up in the truck. Its taken a deer; however, it will likely just be that one, as I will put the rifle aside for my daughter. The Kimber is lovely and just the right size for a smaller person. The .257 Roberts cartridge could not be a better match.

If anyone wants my opinion on the two makes of rifle, I'll only give my experience. The Cooper is unpleasant to carry. The thing can't decide if it wants its barrel down or up. The point of balance is awful when on a sling. I have removed the sling, carry it in my hands, and shoot it with joy from rested positions. It is heavy and I enjoy the steadiness that confers.

The Kimber is graceful - has spare rounds in the magazine, but not one has been needed. It's great looking, except for the black cap on the forestock. I'd get plain wood if it were available, like the Cooper Classic stock. Most seem to think the addition of an end cap on the stock something special; I just don't.

To confuse things all the more, my favorite, most used, highest game count .257 Roberts is my Ruger Hawkeye - without a 1913 rail or blown out threaded barrel. They grandly messed up when they stopped making those rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget about the guns.

What do you want this gun for?
Everybody goes off on a bunch of BS, figure out WHAT you want it for.
Barrel length, weight, accuracy requirements? Safety? CRF? Are you willing to
tinker to get it shooting better?

Can you see the bargain that a Kimber is?
Can you accept that a $600 barrel job to get a lemon shooting still
gives you a Mauser actioned, 3-position safety, great barrel, nice stock,
gun at a fair price?

Now to get personal.
Why these brands?
Pride of ownership? Snob appeal?
Or, just an appreciation for well done gun building?

Answer these, honestly.

Then you will know the answer.

Or, buy a Tikka.😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can someone explain the similarities and difference between the actions in these two rifles? Does the Kimber .257 Roberts use the same action as is used in the .243 ? I can't see why a base model Cooper costs twice as much as a wood stocked Kimber so I'm asking.

I've had multiple Kimbers that shot lights out. All carried and pointed like a wand.

I've seen Coopers that shot well and were pretty, but every one of them handled like a '70 Lincoln Town Car.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SeeDepp
to be honest, I did not understand that the Cooper 22 was a single-shot when I ordered it. It was my first sporter rifle ever. I selected it by reading a lot about the quality of Cooper and the perfection of the .257 Roberts for the game in my part of the country. It was meant to be the first and last sporter I ever bought, so I put price out of consideration (though it was a real reach for my pocketbook, to be honest).

When the Cooper arrived about ten months later, I was not upset that it was a single -shot, having read meantime all the benefits of the solid, magazine-free, receiver. Plus - and this has nothing to do with my skill - I've never needed a second shot on an animal. In my world, the ranges are short, and the game lightly constructed. I hunt on a rest inside a sturdy blind. Its a matter of selecting the deer, not hunting any.

The Kimber was purchase as a result of reading too many posts on 24hourcampfire. Hearing so many fights for and against the brand and model, I had to find out for myself what the deal was about. In my case, an absolutely gorgeous Kimber showed up after months on order. The thing shot as well as I could, but its just about too pretty to risk banging up in the truck. Its taken a deer; however, it will likely just be that one, as I will put the rifle aside for my daughter. The Kimber is lovely and just the right size for a smaller person. The .257 Roberts cartridge could not be a better match.

If anyone wants my opinion on the two makes of rifle, I'll only give my experience. The Cooper is unpleasant to carry. The thing can't decide if it wants its barrel down or up. The point of balance is awful when on a sling. I have removed the sling, carry it in my hands, and shoot it with joy from rested positions. It is heavy and I enjoy the steadiness that confers.

The Kimber is graceful - has spare rounds in the magazine, but not one has been needed. It's great looking, except for the black cap on the forestock. I'd get plain wood if it were available, like the Cooper Classic stock. Most seem to think the addition of an end cap on the stock something special; I just don't.
if
To confuse things all the more, my favorite, most used, highest game count .257 Roberts is my Ruger Hawkeye - without a 1913 rail or blown out threaded barrel. They grandly messed up when they stopped making those rifles.

Funny you say that. I'm only interested in these two rifles because Ruger stopped making the 77 with a tang safety. I like classic lines and walnut and agree about the ebony tip. I think I'll look for a Kimber and I'd like to get one from the new Alabama plant if and when they do a run.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pretty accurate analysis.

Didn't Cooper start out working at Kimber ?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
According to pages 236 & 237 of Frank de Haas and Wayne van Zwoll's Bolt Action Rifles, 4th edition, Dan Cooper and some others from Kimber of Oregon started the Cooper Arms company. The present Kimber rifle company has a different story and different products than the defunct Oregon iteration. I recall only rough outlines of the history.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned a couple of Kimbers and handled a few Coopers. Scheels loves to put Coopers on the floor, I've noticed. No idea if anyone buys one. My thinking is much that of the Town Car quote. I don't see anything about them that makes me want to own one at half the price. My Kimbers have always handled and functioned and shot very well and I felt they were very fairly priced.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,331
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.