Print Thread
Hop To
G
greggun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I live in a lion-rich area, and there's always the chance I'll see one (or call one in) when I'm in the mountains attempting to call bobcat. I'm new to varmint hunting, and I'm carrying a 22-250, shooting a 55 gr. factory load soft point. What say you guys with more experience? Is that caliber adequate for lion at normal ranges? Or, if I'm going out specifically after one, would I be better off carrying my trusty -06? Let's assume I'm a decent shot (sometimes that seems like a mighty big assumption), and will place the bullet in the heart-lung area only from a reasonable distance for the caliber. Thanks, all, for any perspectives you can share on this. By the way: I followed a lot of you over from "that other place," because I've learned so much from you about varmint hunting. Thanks to you all. I truly appreciate what I've picked up. First stand I ever made, I called in four coyotes. What a thrill - it's the equal of any flock of geese I've ever had sit down on me, or any herd of elk I've ever had come in on my position. One more addiction!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi, greggun. Welcome to the campfire! Yes, coyote hunting can be really addictive. i hunted big game all my life (well, since I was 12 years old) until I really got into coyotes. Haven't hunted big game for 12 years now. <P>They kill treed lions with small caliber handguns, like 22 mag. Seems a well-placed shot with a 22-250 should be quite adequate, and less likely to do a lot of damage to the hide than a 30 caliber. I imagine you will have to track it a bit after a 22-250 hit, but then unless you break the shoulders, you probably would have to track a ways after a 30 caliber hit.<P>Lions do not come in like coyotes. They come in very slowly (usually!). Just do not move a muscle until the cat is just where you want him, then begin raising your rifle very slowly. When he sees you move, he will freeze in place. and it should be no trick to place your shot. Good luck!<BR><P>------------------<BR>-------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Greg,<P>I read some interesting litterature concerning bullets. People have a mis conception that you have to have a big bore and a big bullet to take large game. This is due to poor bullets in most cases, and people making poor shots. [Linked Image]<P>I read an article about a 22 Hornet and its popularity it is gaining in Africa as a big game hunting rifle, yes thats right big game. Loaded with 45 grain Barnes X Bullets the author had taken some 600 big game animals and most were one shot kills. These animals ranged in size from Impala all the way to Cape Buffalo. <P>I think you have plenty gun at hand. Just use a bullet with good integrity and there should be no problem. Load up some X's and bring the kitty on. [Linked Image]<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
G
greggun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks, Critr. I visited your website when I was doing research trying to decide what rifle I wanted to get to start hunting varmint. You're obviously very proud of your grandson Nicholas. Good for you. One of the reasons I'm hooked on the outdoors is that my grandpa took me fishing so much. He's been gone many years now, but those memories are as bright as yesterday, brighter really. <P>I'm feeling better about the adequacy of the 22-250 for lion. Setting aside bullet construction, the 55-grain bullet is larger proportionately to the task of a thin-skinned, narrow-bodied lion at, say, 130 pounds, than is a 180 grain 30-06 round to that of putting down an elk, and I do that without a doubt about the outcome. <P>Whew! Glad I got that settled. <P>My folks winter in Arizona - Scotsdale. They're not fans of these Idaho winters anymore. Any good hunting in the Phoenix/Scotsdale area? I might have to take my rifle down the next time I visit. <P>Thanks again. - Greggun

G
greggun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
NM Kid - Thanks. Interesting story about the 22 Hornet in Africa. I'm sorry, but Cape Buffalo? With a 22 Hornet? The guy's got moxie, doesn't he? That's like hunting elk with a pellet gun, except that the elk is unlikely to come out angry and stomp you into mush. Nope, when I go to Africa (and I will someday soon) I'm using serious voodoo on buffalo, in the 375 class or better. Or, maybe you and I could start a new trend, and kill one of the boogers with a Wrist Rocket! You game? As a gesture of courtesy, I'll let you have the first kill...<P>I've seen your posts here. As one of the people said, you are bad medicine when it comes to coyotes. I hold up your results as a goal. <P>I'm not reloading yet (well, I reload steel shot, but that's another topic), so I'll have to shop around for something other than the CXP1s I've broken into this game with. <P>Thanks again. Good hunting to you. <BR>

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, greggun, whadda ya expect from a guy that goes around getting coyotes all upset with a little 222??? [Linked Image] <P>Hi, Kid! Welcome back. Things have changed a bit here since you posted, haven't they?<P>Naw, greggun, not much to hunt here. Other than quail and doves, just a bunch of coyotes, some foxes, a few bobcats, and an occasional lion. Not much. Oh yes, deer of course.<P>Ask NM Kid about coyotes in the Phx area. [Linked Image] <P>And yes, I was pleased with my grandson. Go to the home page of this site and read his article about getting started shooting and hunting.<BR><P>------------------<BR>-------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
G
greggun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Read it, Critr. You have the kid hooked. As far as his moving away is concerned, at least now it will be perfectly plausible to have him come for two-week visits, and a great reason to organize incredible safaris for his benefit. Could be fun, if no substitute for being around the corner. <P>NM Kid - Will you share the Where and When regarding the Phoenix/Scotsdale area the next time I'm headed there? I'd sure appreciate it. <P>Guys, I know I'm picking your brains without giving a lot back, but hey, the fields seem to be fertile, the crop rich - I can't resist. Any advice on a good starting kit if I want to reload my own rounds for my 22-250? Cabela's, where I spend too much time and money, has an inexpensive starter kit from Lee, and kits that are about four times as much from RCBS and Lyman. Any preferences? Is there a better source for reloading equipment, supplies and components?<P>Thanks for any insights you care to share, light you care to shed. <P>Greggun

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please, correct me if I am wrong. A friend of mine who hunts cats with hounds near Dark Canyon NM. Tells me he uses .22 rimfires to kill treed cats. He shoots them through the heart / lungs. His reasoning is the cat will stay in the tree until it dies, hitting the ground stone dead when it falls out. He says that large calibers knock the cat out of the tree with enough life left to take out a few dogs. As for myself, as much as I believe in the killing power of center fire .22's ( I hunt whitetail deer with a 220 Swift ) I would want a little more stopping power if I were calling varmints where the big cats live. I think a 12 ga. with # 1 buck shot would be just about right for anything that weighs 100 pounds or more and might want to bite back. Any experienced cat hunters out there have some advice on this line?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I know laws vary from state to state, but in Wyoming lions are considered trophy big game, and nothing smaller than a .243 rifle or .357 maximum is allowed. I think the 22-250 is certainly adequate, but here its not legal.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
G
greggun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
CCW - The regs here in Idaho prohibit taking big game with any rimfire weapon (get this) except mountain lion. So not only can we use a 22-250, we can go out and shoot at them with our .22 rimfires. I know this is for the benefit of the houndsmen, but it seems to be they could've taken a bit more care in writing the regs. At the same time, we can't use a shotgun with anything smaller than #00 buck. So go figure: I can go out there and call in a lion in on myself toting nothing more than my Marlin Model 60, and be absolutely kosher in the eyes of the Idaho F&G; but if I go out there and do the same thing with Prairie Dog Shooter's 12 ga and #1 buckshot...well, hey, I'm undergunned!<P>An interesting read would be a rundown of all the illogical regulations a close examination of all the states' fishing and hunting regs turned up. I'll bet there are some great ones. Anyone else have any?

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Greggun,<P>Actually I was a bit skeptical of the 22 Hornet and its big game ability. But then my dads new work partner shoots for Barnes and is a staff member and author for there reloading manuals. He showed me pictures of animals he had taken with the hornet. The largest animal he had harvested was a Zebra.<P>Try this test out. Load up some X Bullets and your other coyote rounds or whatever you want to use. Then line up about 5, 1 gallon milk jugs full of water. Go back to 25 yds and shoot. You will be surprised at the differences in penetration.<P>On the capoe buffalo it was a one shot kill. There were guides on stand by with the 375's loaded up with solids. Apparently due to the light report of the hornet, and the fact the kinetic energy is not so high. The animal does not get shocked as hard. The author stated the bull went down within 75 yds.<P>I know it sounds crazy, I think Barnes will provide you with this litterature if you request for it. I should be home next month and I will loook for the article. [Linked Image] <P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.