Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Another post I complained about the car dealers BS.

One of the things that they demanded when I was buying the car for cash, was to run a credit report.

One of my hot-button issues is when people lie to me and think that I will just accept it. Initialy it was for them to be able to "verify" who I am. I made it clear that is not what a credit report does.

After speaking out of both sides of their mouth for a bit including talking out of their a55es, they had given me 3 or 4 different reasons and explanations.

When I protested I was met with the idea that everyone just accepts it. It is just standard and no one protests.

Montana MOFO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they are sneaky

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have paid cash for every car we bought for 20 years.
Amazing how hard they make it.
The more professional the stealership, the worse they are.

Dumb as hell how you tell them it's cash, they keep
trying to finance.

Holy F', why would a guy who can afford to buy, want to borrow.

Anyone want to enlighten me on investing and using other people money,
soak your head in a toilet. That mentality is one thing wrong in today's world.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dealers make bank on financing. Even more on service plans. Probably as much as they do on the initial sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dealers make bank on financing. Even more on service plans. Probably as much as they do on the initial sale.

Yeah they do. They like that kickback on the dealer suggested financing. If you have a CU or a bank that you have a solid relationship with and go into the dealership knowing where you are. You will be lite years ahead of wondering around a dealership until the salesman pops up and offers to see “what he can get you in to” LOL

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have paid cash for every car we bought for 20 years.
Amazing how hard they make it.
The more professional the stealership, the worse they are.

Dumb as hell how you tell them it's cash, they keep
trying to finance.

Holy F', why would a guy who can afford to buy, want to borrow.

Anyone want to enlighten me on investing and using other people money,
soak your head in a toilet. That mentality is one thing wrong in today's world.

With good credit you can get an interest rate low enough that you’re better off leaving your money in the market. It’s not as though anyone paying cash has it sitting in a safe at home or in a savings account at a bank. To state the obvious you’re paying cash with money that you’re taking out of the market that is working for you.

Similar to being in a rush to pay off a home mortgage or student loans. There’s real value in peace of mind and having it paid off but financially speaking those loans are usually low interest enough that dragging them out while inflation does it’s thing over decades and the market outpaces it is a better idea from a pure financial standpoint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It ain’t 1985. There’s a front end and back end.

Like points on a store card…. Pay with the card to get the discount and points, walk over and pay it off at customer service or pay it off when you get the bill.

Use dealer financing through manufacturer finance co, get a better out the door price from the dealer, get the first statement and pay it off if you’re making less on your cash than the interest.

It’s not rocket science. You coulda gotten it cheaper than paying cash.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep. I work my credit card for a couple K a year. I pay it off monthly. They pay me for using it.

I bought a new F-250 in 2018. 42k drive out. I saved another $1,500 in rebates by financing for 3 months.

It's a game and sometimes you have to play.

The dealership gets points for financing and a "good" dealer will guide you to make sure it is a mutually productive deal.

The original Frito Bandito!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know why everyone thinks that paying cash will get them a better deal, be it at a car dealership or a gun store. They act like a dealer has never seen anyone able to pay cash and will bend over backwards to make the deal. If you really want to pay cash, pretend like you are financing the entire deal. Work the price and keep mentioning financing and extended warranties. They make money on those things and *may* come off the price a tad if they think you are on the hook for them. Then write a check for the purchase price and decline the extended warranty.

Last edited by K1500; 11/18/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
I don’t know why everyone thinks that paying cash will get them a better deal, be it at a car dealership or a gun store. They act like a dealer has never seen anyone able to pay cash and will bend over backwards to make the deal. If you really want to pay cash, pretend like you are financing the entire deal. Work the price and keep mentioning financing and extended warranties. They make money on those things and *may* come off the price a tad if they think you are on the hook for them. Then write a check for the purchase price and decline the extended warranty.

And how many would walk into a chain supermarket and announce “I don’t need sales, coupons, store points, cash back, rebates, card points, miles, or any of that crap, I’M PAYING CASH!”

Store clerk thinks- “Yeah dude, the Turkey is $2.99 a pound, if you swipe this free barcode thingy that goes on your keychain it’s 29 cents.”

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tarkio

One of the things that they demanded when I was buying the car for cash, was to run a credit report.

One of my hot-button issues is when people lie to me and think that I will just accept it. Initialy it was for them to be able to "verify" who I am. I made it clear that is not what a credit report does.

After speaking out of both sides of their mouth for a bit including talking out of their a55es, they had given me 3 or 4 different reasons and explanations.

When I protested I was met with the idea that everyone just accepts it. It is just standard and no one protests.

We are picking up a new minivan for the wife today...

I am 58 and have never bought a car/truck on credit before... NEVER. Owned 40+ vehicles and have ALWAYS paid cash.

USAA offered 2% financing over 6 years... no chit... 2% in a time where inflation is running 6.2% (OR HIGHER... WAY HIGHER for the next 6 years).

SO... I financed... total no brainer.

USAA ran my credit and it was 820 or so... I asked if that was good and he said "Yes, quite good... many people carry too much debt and have lower scores."

Good luck on you purchase Tarkio... maybe shop around? Not that I am giving advice on something (car loans) that I know absolutely nothing about, but maybe starve the azzholes that lie to you?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Usually when you finance, the salesman makes commission for 3 months. They’ll tell you that you can pay it off after 90 days….

Dealerships have to be one of largest scammers going.
They’ll clear codes, and act ignorant.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio

It is your cash, if they don't accommodate you it is a simple thing to take your cash elsewhere.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If you're the type of person who rarely ever uses credit for purchases, don't be surprised if your credit rating score isn't as high as what you think it should be...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500

Several LGS have credit and cash prices. On the tag.
Credit card companies charge them up to 7%.
So, they pass that on to the customer that causes the charge.

I often use that to get a better cash deal on bigger purchases.

"I have a rewards card, I get cash back. But I know using the card costs you.
Any way you could do better for cash?" When dealing with an owner run
business, it's never failed. And the discount is often better than expected.

Stealership get too much money out of financing, they don't like cash
and the less crooked ones will tell you some version of that.

Worked in one in the 80s. Even then there was more fat in the deal
then in selling the new car.

Huge markups on dealer installed items
Warranties
Finance

Srewing you on your trade. Screwing the guy who bought it.
We could buy one car per year for a little over cost.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You'd be surprised but a lot of time it is cheaper to take the lowest credit offer assuming you qualify and incentives to finance, then just pay over a few months or so. Take a 1.9% and 3000k rebate or pay a cash discount that doesnt equal the rebate or incentives you may have received. You can save a couple grand vs cash a lot of the time.

I also have a hard time shelling out all the money at once on an item that devalues as soon as I drive it off the lot.

No if you have bad credit...oh well.

Last edited by killerv; 11/19/21.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
It’s not as though anyone paying cash has it sitting in a safe at home or in a savings account at a bank. To state the obvious you’re paying cash with money that you’re taking out of the market that is working for you.

Plenty of people have the cash to buy a vehicle sitting in a safe or a savings account, to some folks that’s walking around money. A guy with several million in the market will usually have at least $50k or so sitting in cash somewhere for quick access, it’s only smart to do so. Who wants to have to take out a loan for a quick deal that pops up? I once got a great deal on 80 acres of land because I had the cash on hand to write a check for it right then, I wouldn’t have gotten it if I had to go through the BS of financing, appraisals, etc.

You should always have cash somewhere for flexibility. I’d never tie up everything in the market or other investments that take time to liquidate. If nothing else have a line of credit that can be quickly accessed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
It’s not as though anyone paying cash has it sitting in a safe at home or in a savings account at a bank. To state the obvious you’re paying cash with money that you’re taking out of the market that is working for you.

Plenty of people have the cash to buy a vehicle sitting in a safe or a savings account, to some folks that’s walking around money. A guy with several million in the market will usually have at least $50k or so sitting in cash somewhere for quick access, it’s only smart to do so. Who wants to have to take out a loan for a quick deal that pops up? I once got a great deal on 80 acres of land because I had the cash on hand to write a check for it right then, I wouldn’t have gotten it if I had to go through the BS of financing, appraisals, etc.

You should always have cash somewhere for flexibility. I’d never tie up everything in the market or other investments that take time to liquidate. If nothing else have a line of credit that can be quickly accessed.

Don't have several million in the market, but can relate to having the walking around cash. Credit is great for buying gas with.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I bought my Dodge truck in '05, I had gotten a quote faxed to me. The dealer had to send someone a couple hours away to get the truck. We I went to get it, there was an additional $500 charge on it. When I asked, I was told the original price was based on me buying it through their credit department, not cash. I walked out. The owner of the dealership called me the next day complaining, and when I told him why, he said no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 222Sako, 10ring1, 219DW, 36 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.