Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by g5m
TRH, you could at least double your money on that!

That's as nice a Mauser as I've seen in many years.

Yeah, I lucked out, in that the employee at the store (this was a pretty big war surplus outfit on Long Island) who was unpacking the crate of Yugo Mausers and pricing them for the floor didn't realize that this one wasn't actually a Yugo Mauser but a captured and remarked German K98k Mauser.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I also got a pristine-looking Moisin-Nagant from a crate of rifles slathered in Cosmoline- - - -"You pick" for $79.95 each. I messed up and forgot to pick up the bayonet that was also included in the price!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I also got a pristine-looking Moisin-Nagant from a crate of rifles slathered in Cosmoline- - - -"You pick" for $79.95 each. I messed up and forgot to pick up the bayonet that was also included in the price!

My Polish M44 Mosin Nagant carbine (bayonet attacked) looks like it came from the factory yesterday. These things are going for about $700.00 now that the supply has dried up. I paid a little over a hundred for it back about fifteen years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Despise the origin, but they sure got that 98 action dead right. Rugged as a rock, tear down by hand. Does not Western Civilization have the modern machine tools to turn these out for the price of a Savage?
Oh well. Hey, it's great but the Enfield SMLE is slicker and quicker. And no Hande hoch! Sich anstellen! stuff.

Last edited by 5thShock; 11/29/21.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Look for a taller front sight.

It is a nice rifle.

Thanks. Odd how many military surplus rifles come that way, i.e., where the lowest setting still prints high at 100 yards. My Polish Mosin Nagant carbine is that way, too. On that gun, it's an easy fix, though, because the front post is a thin rod. You just need to strip an electrical wire of a section of its plastic jacket, and then pressure fit it over the front post. You can, that way, make the front post as high as you like.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

I've been told that was by design on military rifles, due to the vertical nature of the human form.
Made hitting a man easier, rapidly, at unknown ranges - in the torso.

I have had a few Swede 96 Mausers and they all hit 6" high at 100 yards. Aim for center mass was how they were trained I suppose

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm too old and stupid to post images, sorry, but visualize a bold black Vee on light background, pale or buff cardboard , much wider than you need in order to provide a consistent background light on each side of the rear notch, I suppose the Vee will be around 40 or 50 degrees of included angle, just like the printed Vee on this posting. Because of my ancient eyesight I make the legs of the Vee quite large...7 or 8" for 100 yards. Your sight picture should have the tip of the barleycorn just showing a sliver of white at the bottom of the black Vee. Be sure to staple your target as plumb as you can. This is not my idea of course. The Vee target was used forever by the US Army back in Trapdoor, Krag and 1903 Springer days.
Alternately you can make a big "X" with blue 2" painters tape, or your 2" black duct tape, and upend the target when one side gets too many holes. Not enough elevation precision for my eyesight though without the sliver of white in the sight picture.
Not knowing your ammo of course, but I would be very surprised if that beauty isn't able to hold around 2.5 moa with decent ammo. I have had several BRNO's and Yugo reworks and they all shot better than I could.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Very fine rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

My Polish M44 Mosin Nagant carbine (bayonet attacked) looks like it came from the factory yesterday. These things are going for about $700.00 now that the supply has dried up. I paid a little over a hundred for it back about fifteen years ago.

I bought a Hungarian M44 variant back in the day.

GOA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The WW I rifles from several countries had a minimum sight-in of 300 yards/meters. (Trench warfare, I guess) My first sporter conversion was a 29" barrel Swede Mauser that would shoot 6" high at 100 yards. Gun Parts Co. used to sell a tall front sight insert to bring those rifles down to a 100 yqrd zero with the rear sight bottomed out.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Battle Sight Zero (P, for people) for an AK 7.62X39mm put you right on at 300 meters. Closer, hold on the belt buckle. Maybe similar for Europe.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 39 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.