Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Mik123

How is the Defiance CRF action treating you? Any downsides? I'm looking at one myself.

If they offered an open type two lever trigger it would be pretty nice. As it is, just another almost good action with a dirt and icicle box strapped to the bottom. Oh, and needlessly round bottomed (motto: "We twist in YOUR stock") although the recoil lug is decent.

You have a lot of experience with triggertechs failing?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Mik123

How is the Defiance CRF action treating you? Any downsides? I'm looking at one myself.

If they offered an open type two lever trigger it would be pretty nice. As it is, just another almost good action with a dirt and icicle box strapped to the bottom. Oh, and needlessly round bottomed (motto: "We twist in YOUR stock") although the recoil lug is decent.

It's entertaining to watch an amateur take apart the work of a Master. Keep it up, Bob.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm in line for an Echol's receiver. I had a Satterlie, but Roger Vardy wanted it more than I. It would be very hard to beat either.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What is the price on an lx-1? Is there any info about it? I can’t find any on Echols site.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RinB

KK
Look under rifles-custom rifles. May be one second or third page i.e. not on first page.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/1941075662

Wow those are nice
What are they going to cost when they are in production?

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, there was some good info on accrelaoder. Anyone want to disclose the ballpark price?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How about calling to ask?

The way life should be.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m not in the market for a 30k rifle, maybe a 3-4K action. Id rather not waist Echols time if someone here knows the answer feel free to pm me if you don’t want to post it. Thanks

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hi guys. new to this forum. I have a story about the best action I ever had at least, My dad had 2 rifles built in the 60s. Both were built on 1951
Commercial belgian large ring mausers. ONE was a 270, other was a wildcat known as the 22-250 varminter. Dad built the stocks. they were really nice. with silver inlays. He had a little shop in santa fe where he would do costom work for people. little stuff, mostly reload wildcats, and glass bed rifles.. ,,,,,,,anyway, the 270 got stolen from our house in Denver in the 80s.... . . I ended up with the 22-250 and started loading it in 1991. I would take it out to the grasslands and shoot full pop cans. and water jugs. It was deadly accurate. I guess it had a douglas barrel on it. I started having pressure problems, but i didnt know thats what it was, so i took it to a smith way out in boonies named Greg tannel. he was just starting out building custom rifles, He scoped the barrel and said , I cant see the barrel. I said 'WHy'" He said because its packed with copper. So that day I learned how to actually clean. After i cleaned.....it I brought it back and he said the rifling was gone,,So i called Douglas barrel and asked them if they would put a new one on for me, and they said send it to JIM McCoullough down in Selma Alabama. So I did. and he turned it into a 6mm rem ..with a 1 in 8 twist. I had a few more great years with that old 1951 mauser until i started buying stainless steel tornado brushes, Over the span of 2 years i ruined 3 barrels,, including the 6 mm rem,,, the barrel was so rough i was getting 3 to 4 foot groups at 25 yards, I spent months trying to smooth it out, and i finally got it to shoot ok again. . ,most painful and difficult lesson i ever had to learn.. I dont shoot it much now, dont know what to do with it. thought about selling the barreled action and putting the stock on a wall. . So,,,,,hi to everybody. my first post. { ps , that dude out in the boonies greg Tannel, moved to rifle colorado.GRE-TAN Rifles..Still building rifles and custom dies.. See ya.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Happy Thanksgiving, Jason. Welcome to the Fire. I have a couple of those FN actions...not an Echols but I like them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
thanks

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GFY.
Now you are welcome here.

The way life should be.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bat action

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JASONMAUSER
Hi guys. new to this forum. I have a story about the best action I ever had at least, My dad had 2 rifles built in the 60s. Both were built on 1951
Commercial belgian large ring mausers. ONE was a 270, other was a wildcat known as the 22-250 varminter. Dad built the stocks. they were really nice. with silver inlays. He had a little shop in santa fe where he would do costom work for people. little stuff, mostly reload wildcats, and glass bed rifles.. ,,,,,,,anyway, the 270 got stolen from our house in Denver in the 80s.... . . I ended up with the 22-250 and started loading it in 1991. I would take it out to the grasslands and shoot full pop cans. and water jugs. It was deadly accurate. I guess it had a douglas barrel on it. I started having pressure problems, but i didnt know thats what it was, so i took it to a smith way out in boonies named Greg tannel. he was just starting out building custom rifles, He scoped the barrel and said , I cant see the barrel. I said 'WHy'" He said because its packed with copper. So that day I learned how to actually clean. After i cleaned.....it I brought it back and he said the rifling was gone,,So i called Douglas barrel and asked them if they would put a new one on for me, and they said send it to JIM McCoullough down in Selma Alabama. So I did. and he turned it into a 6mm rem ..with a 1 in 8 twist. I had a few more great years with that old 1951 mauser until i started buying stainless steel tornado brushes, Over the span of 2 years i ruined 3 barrels,, including the 6 mm rem,,, the barrel was so rough i was getting 3 to 4 foot groups at 25 yards, I spent months trying to smooth it out, and i finally got it to shoot ok again. . ,most painful and difficult lesson i ever had to learn.. I dont shoot it much now, dont know what to do with it. thought about selling the barreled action and putting the stock on a wall. . So,,,,,hi to everybody. my first post. { ps , that dude out in the boonies greg Tannel, moved to rifle colorado.GRE-TAN Rifles..Still building rifles and custom dies.. See ya.

Greg Tannel is absolutely one of the best if not the best for building a highly accurate rifle. He's built about 20 rifles for me since about '95. I think these days he's exceptionally busy with a couple of Swiss Screw machines making firing pins, bolt shrouds, cocking pieces and small parts for a whole slew of custom action manufacturers, it seems. If'n you can convince Greg to take on your custom project, you're a lucky man. Can't say enough good about him. He pioneered the tooling and techniques all the big-name smiths now use (and often take credit for!).

Tarquin
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The NULA is precise and accurate in its dimensions--all bolts interchange, for example, within a model. I understand that Nosler retired a NULA action after 3 million rounds.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope he can sell enough LX-1 actions to bring the price somewhere in the 2x cost of a defiance range or something. I'd have a hard time paying more than about $3000 for an action. I'm all for him being compensated for his time and knowledge I just hope he can spread those costs over more actions.

I'd love to have an Lx-1 30-06 and another in 375 h&h. A 22" ss #2 on the 30-06 and a 22" ss #4 on the 375. Both nitrided. I love that he went 416 with a 4140 bolt, I think all actions should be that way and in my world I much prefer ss barrels too. I like them nitride when I want a darker look.

Admittedly I'm more of a 700 clone stainless synthetic accuracy guy. However, I spent several Saturdays at Dean Zollingers before he passed and I've I aways dreamed of a pair of more traditional rifles for Africa in traditional chamberings. I decided years ago they would be 30-06 and 375 H&H. I prefer the ruger round but my first African hunt was with a Brno 602 in 375 h&h.

Bb

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've also committed to a LX-1 in LH chambered in .300WM. In many ways I followed the same process as Ric owned customs from the likes of Gradous, Borden, LRI, Biesen, Lex, and others. After a few friends acquired Legends and continually trimmed large collections to own 2 or 3 it became apparent there is something to this perfect hunting rifle approach. The mechanical performance, balance, durability, and accuracy are outstanding and increase lethality in the field. As primarily a hunter and an increasingly a traveling hunter a no compromise approach to all of my equipment has taken center stage. I don't know of a better system being built today than this.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Well I am late to the party with a bottle of cheap rye in a paper sack! I am going to say pre-MCA Steyr MS rifles have a pretty well set up action. I have a 1950 and 1952 and I believe that they are nicer than the Pre-64 Model 70 or even the Brno Model 21F small ring. I have heard from others that they have lots of little parts but running on is an amazing experience. JMV but they have to be in the running.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.