Page 5 of 1,842 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
benp, welcome!!

first post? wow!!

Don't know if you've followed the campfire forums at all in the past but it's a good forum, lots of nice folks sharing info/stories/what ever.

Yeah I hear ya on the styrofoam seat, nothing beats a cheap styrofoam seat. And we'll need it pretty quick!

I've started a log book but i've been slacking on it. I've just been exhausted & can't keep up with it.

Northern MN?

Cold & windy up here this morning huh?

Dave

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't see why she wouldn't heat. Might be able to find a barrel stove used or somthing too, easier and probably cheaper than maknig one.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
benp, welcome!!

first post? wow!!

Don't know if you've followed the campfire forums at all in the past but it's a good forum, lots of nice folks sharing info/stories/what ever.

Yeah I hear ya on the styrofoam seat, nothing beats a cheap styrofoam seat. And we'll need it pretty quick!

I've started a log book but i've been slacking on it. I've just been exhausted & can't keep up with it.

Northern MN?

Cold & windy up here this morning huh?

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, she was a little cold this am. Wiped out on the deck from the frost. crazy Nice way to start the morning. Coffee one way, me the other.

Woodstove wise, a barrel stove would honestly be my last consideration. Just due to their inefficiency and they are not exactly the safest stoves with kids or intoxicated adults around.

Do they throw the heat. God yes. Run you out in a heart blink. I will give them that.

You should be able to find a good stove in the classifieds or hear of someone getting rid of one for a decent price.

Good luck.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Anybody see you wipe out? smile Cause you know, that's the worse....

I don't know about the stove quite yet, I was just looking at a Vogelzang boxwood deluxe last night at a local hardware store. One of my uncles bought the standard version of that stove & is very unhappy with it because the thing is like a run away train, it has such a huge gap at the bottom edge of the loading door that it draws a constant healthy draft, you can't slow it down. The "deluxe" version of the same stove which i looked at last night looked much better, much tighter fitting door & a spin type draft control on the door. they want about $250 for it. looks like this.
[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A cook stove top. Nice.

$250 isnt too bad.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a future project of some non-slip topping on that deck. My dad took a fall on an icy cement front porch at camp once. Luckily he woke before he froze to death!

I painted the edges of my steps with white paint so I could see them in the starlight. Figured it saved me a fall or two while drinking with the Captain.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 09/13/07.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
ahh the captain... strange how he finds his way this far from big water.... I guess he just preferr's our company? But yes, precautions are a good idea when dry land sailing with ole cappy.

I just scored a slightly used barrel stove... made with a 30 gallon barrel so it's not so big. It will do until I can find something better...

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
looks like my last shack pics posted are "pre-gable end" pics.

so, here's some current: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
looks like a 2 tone huh? Some of the ext wall sheeting was like that earlier on too, the sun seemed to balance the rest out, I hope this stuff takes on the same color as the rest of the front.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NDave-this is one super thread, can't believe I just caught on to it.

Sure is super what you've taken to doing with that young lad as well.

What part of northern Minne? I think I've asked you that b4 but if you wish just pm me.

I am going to DL (Detroit Lakes) for the first week of Oct to fly fish for pike/mushky at my parents lake home.

Seems to me like you might need some elk horns to hang up there somewhere. I you wish I'll try to find you a nice set of sheds this spring for my contribution.

Keep up the good work

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Elk sheds would be great!!

Hard for me to bring them home from CO (where we elk hunt) when I get out there (if I were to find some) beings we are from out of state & the horns would be transported during season we don't dare, could be hard trying to convince a warden how we "found them". We have actually come across small spike bull kills that people have either lost or somply walked away from when they discover the bull isn't quite legal. The thought of snagging one of those horns for a knife handle or something has crossed the mind.

We've faced the decision before & even fought over the topic amoungst myself & my much yunger brother who see's no problem risking my truck & rifles for his interests smile

If you look closely at the out house pics Dober you will see that the door handle is an elk antler tip.

My cousin's boy who I mention so much in this thread lives not far from DL. All of the structural lumber in the shack project came from the menards home center in DL as a matter of fact.

I'm actually a few hours north of DL.

Good luck with the muskies in DL. It sounds like the muskie fishing is picking up on that lake, pelican is supposed to have some too but from talking to my cousin's boy who hits the water pretty hard, DL is his local choice for muskies.

Dave

Last edited by northern_dave; 09/13/07. Reason: can't spell for beans.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave- my parents live on south shore of Big Detroit and those big toothy buggers cruise right out front of my parents place. From time to time mom and or dad will go down to the Doc in the morn and see a big old boy they call "Marvin" just a cruising and giving the sunnies a beating.

I may go to Reeds in Walker one day while I am back, you close to that place? JElky and I have chatted about trying to meet up there.

You guys gonna use it for your deer opener this year?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah we're gonna use it for opener for sure, hell we'll use it for opener of small game & archery which is this weekend!!! smile

Reeds, love that place. They got a big store in brainerd now too I think, new one.

You better get down to that dock with a bucktail & catch ole marvin. If you catch him, give a poke in the eye & tell him it's from Dave for the 1000+ casts he's made with nothin to show.

"fish of a thousand casts"

phhfttht!

musta meant to say 10,000!!

I sent you a PM.

Later,

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck I was it was more than that, I had on two last fall that I couldn't even begin to handle with my fly rod.

Macrabbit from here tied me up some flies I used last year and they worked well. I didn't work so well...grins

I'll be gunning for him, I'm thinking of AI'ing my 9 weight to see if I can't get a bit mo distance out of it.

If you think I can meet up with the kid I'll bring a present for you guyz to cook up for your night b4 opener dinner?

I nuked a nice fat cow (elk) the other morn and its been in the hayfields all winter. Frying up some chicken fried elk steaks might just be a way to go for a night b4 dinner.

Just a thought.

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave,

They just closed the Brainerd Reeds store, Gander Mtn bought them out.

Be careful with that Dobrenski fella, he only fires a few rounds the day before season at a paper plate, no practical experience at all!!!!;)

The camp is looking great!!!!!!!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolHey quit talking about my Uncle that way...grins

Dober

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, that new reeds didn't last long.

27 this morning when I left home for work. glad I picked all my tomatoes & peppers last night.

might try camping out at the shack again tonight.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey guys, I was just over on a thread Blammer started about his cousin age of 41 who just passed away. It brought fresh a lot of emotion that is, well, rather recent, rather current you might say with my dealing with my own cousin & best friends death as mentioned early on in this thread.

I mentioned something that I don't think I have shared over here on the birth of a deer camp thread.

One month to the day of my cousin's death I got a tattoo on my left shoulder blade.

It's a black heart that has been run through with a long sharp dagger. Red blood drops run from the heart & off the tip of the dagger. The black heart is my heart, always the black sheep & a bit cold emotionally from my hard start at life with unfavorable childhood, young marine off to experience war, etc.

The heart is forever impaled with uncurable pain, though damaged & hurting it remains alive just barely. Above the heart & dagger a simple banner with only a date "06-28-07"

A tear runs off the corner of the banner.

Funny I haven't thought to mention the ink till now.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I'm actually a few hours north of DL.

Dave, that would put you around my neck of the woods. I live north of Bermidj.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My wife was down to "Bermidji" on Wed for some training.

"down to bermidji" that cracks me up.

jeesh, how far north is "northern dave"?

pert near as far north as he can be without being a Canadian smile

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Up in Baudette? That area? Across the bog?

When you come to the "big city", lol, you only drive a few miles from where I live.

My road is off of 71.

Page 5 of 1,842 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.