Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It's getting to be that time where my truck is in need of some new tires, so I thought I would ask for some input on this and what better place to do it than a hunting forum. My truck is a 2001 GMC Sonoma and I use it just like a regular hunter would, traveling down some minimum maintenance roads to get to that hunting spot without wanting to get stuck, right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
While I dont have any on my current truck I like Michelins.....get all terrains.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear great things about those Revo's. I've been impressed with the durability and lack of road noise from my factory Goodyear ATS tires. They have 43,000 miles and look great. My truck weighs near 6,000 lbs, so that isn't too bad. Off-road is not really much to brag about, as I have buried them up several times. New tires won't be cheap for my Ford, as decent 275/70/R18's typically run about $200+ per tire.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Toyota Tundra goes in tomorrow for a Goodyear Fortera 265 70 R16 transplant. Another friend is already using them on his Tundra.

Check: http://www.tirerack.com/

for tire info...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dayton Timberlines are what I've settled on. Great milage (with regular rotations), quite (for a mud tire) and reasonable priced. Lots a good tires out there, but I've found these the best "balance", at least on my Toyota 4x4's.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice is checkout the General Grabber AT2. Its a pretty aggressive all-terrain tire, much more so than pictures give them credit for. I have them on my 05 Ram Quad-Cab, and they have been dynamite, some road noise but not excessive at all. They also carry a 50,000 mile warranty [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 09/11/07.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was going to recommend Bridgestones when I saw your thread and then saw that you already have them.

I think Bridgestone tires represent excellent value compared to many other brands.

The only thing that I mightt suggest is,..getting some 8 ply tires instead of the more standard 6 ply.

I had some 8 ply Bridgestone tires on a pick up for quite a while and they're very resistant to punctures. I found quite a few nails and screws which had stuck in those tires and had obviously been there quite a while,.. but they never were able to penetrate the belts and cause a leak.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dayton300
right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.

Revo's are great.

One of our company work trucks(F250 diesel) has a set of them that just keep on going.
I was so impressed I bought a pair for my personal truck and haven't been disappointed. Finding a better tire may be tough.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
ThomasMagnum, I have checked into the General Grabber's, so how do they handle on the highway and have you had a chance to use them in the snow yet? The General Grabber's would run me about $100 cheaper versus going back to the Bridgestone Revo's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always buy Michelins for my Tundra but my father loves Hankook Tires on his Ford F250. He gets good wear, good grip, low noise and are a lot cheaper than most. I'm not sure what style he buys but they make one that looks very close to a Michelin AT tread. I may give them a try next go around.

RH

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have BFG Long trail TAs on my 99 nissan Frontier. First set went 74,000miles, have 40k on the second set. Great in rain, snow, and moderate off road. wouldn't want to try mud, though.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Discount Tires, buy your truck a set of GoodYear Wranglers, get the road hazzard insurance, never buy another set of tires. My truck is past 160,000 miles on the first purchase. Every replacement tire cost 18 bucks for the road hazzard fee. Nobody has better customer service than Discount Tires.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Chevy Silverado with To-yo M/T I like them allot balance nice and the price is not to bad under 200. Also had great luck with the To-yo A/T I would recommend aether.

Last edited by Horsefly80; 09/11/07.
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's getting to be that time where my truck is in need of some new tires, so I thought I would ask for some input on this and what better place to do it than a hunting forum. My truck is a 2001 GMC Sonoma and I use it just like a regular hunter would, traveling down some minimum maintenance roads to get to that hunting spot without wanting to get stuck, right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.
Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain no question!

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Michelins...
I go through tires on my work truck like crazy...Three or Four sets a year...Generals are junk...Firestones are ok but I had a set of Michelins that lasted a year plus...Goodyears ain't on my list of tires to buy either...
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's are good tires if you take care of them...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have Pro-Comp all terrains on my Tacoma. I am at 50k right now, and could use a new set before the snow flies.

I am convinced the only tire good in mud is a mud tire though. Never had a set of any brand of AT that was worth dick in mud.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BFG A/Ts

I've never had a set on a 1/2 ton rig that didn't go at least 50K miles. IIRC I've had 5-6 different sets. I currently have them on my '99 S10 Blazer. I'd also have them on my Dodge 3500 if they came in a 10 ply in the size I want.

They have great traction in just about anything other than deep mud,and really aren't all that loud.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If they have a Peerless Tire store in your area I would start looking there. I run them on my vehicles and get good service & they are a decent value. I just put 4 on my pick up & with road hazard waranty, mount & balance it was about $404.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have Pro-Comp all terrains on my Tacoma. I am at 50k right now, and could use a new set before the snow flies.

I am convinced the only tire good in mud is a mud tire though. Never had a set of any brand of AT that was worth dick in mud.
I agree the all terrains are not good but the xtreme all terrains do well.

Scott

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I used to swear by the BFG T/A KOs... these are probably the #1 tire used by most Jeeps.

The last two set of tires I bought were the new compound and design by Yokohama. The Geolandar MT+ is a seriously agressive looking tire that is well behaved on the road. I took them in the snow, mud, sand, rocks, grass, gravel, and pavement - they never let me down.

Several times I was asked by other guy's who made them and what I thought of them. I will buy them again. If I needed a set that was less aggressive looking and more of a street/light trail tire I would check out the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.