Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Take a backpack and gallon ziplock bags into golden corral

Go up to the salad bar and put a hurt on them ham dices, get olives, cheese cubes, sunflower seeds, gummie bears
Bunch of yeast rolls

Eat your fill of everthing else, next day you make a bunch of mini calzone pies

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Most mincemeat I've seen since I was a kid has no meat in it. I've been told that in the real "olden days" it did.

Yeah, it did. Originally came out of medieval England I think. Nowadays it still calls for beef suet even if it has no meat. My beef (pun intended) with it is that I'm not a fan of cloves or allspice.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only real mincemeat pie, with meat in it, that I have ever eaten was at a B&B outside Bath, England and it was very good though I thought she had put a little too much of those bitter spanish oranges in it. The mincemeat fruit filling that you can buy at the grocery store is one of my favorite pies. I like the Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat Filling the best though. Hot with ice cream is wonderful too!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Most mincemeat I've seen since I was a kid has no meat in it. I've been told that in the real "olden days" it did.

Yeah, it did. Originally came out of medieval England I think. Nowadays it still calls for beef suet even if it has no meat. My beef (pun intended) with it is that I'm not a fan of cloves or allspice.

Well, if you don't like those spice, you certainly won't like mincemeat pie...........with or without some animal flesh in it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Allen917
The only real mincemeat pie, with meat in it, that I have ever eaten was at a B&B outside Bath, England and it was very good though I thought she had put a little too much of those bitter spanish oranges in it. The mincemeat fruit filling that you can buy at the grocery store is one of my favorite pies. I like the Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat Filling the best though. Hot with ice cream is wonderful too!

I think mom used the None-Such brand. I may look into Crosse and Blackwell if I can't find a ready made one and have to bake one myself.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was watching this one episode of Little House on Prairie

They was gonna put this posse together, they all met up. The one dude give everyone the run down on how badass the villains were they was gonna go chase

One guy says “no way, my wife is fixin a kidney pie, I’m outta here”

Anyway

I just remember terrabytes of obscure useless tidbits

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, if you don't like those spice, you certainly won't like mincemeat pie...........with or without some animal flesh in it.

Exactly.

I don't even like pumpkin pie if the cook is heavy-handed with the ground cloves.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I was watching this one episode of Little House on Prairie

They was gonna put this posse together, they all met up. The one dude give everyone the run down on how badass the villains were they was gonna go chase

One guy says “no way, my wife is fixin a kidney pie, I’m outta here”

Anyway

I just remember terrabytes of obscure useless tidbits

No doubt that's a result of all that smoking you did before the roofing jobs!

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love it, once a year I get to eat a whole pie. None of my family like it but the wife makes one special for me at Christmas.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Love it, once a year I get to eat a whole pie. None of my family like it but the wife makes one special for me at Christmas.

You apparently married well.

In it is contentment

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Like it. In small amounts.

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Oh Hell yes. The real deal with currants, meat, etc. Love it! Served warm with vanilla ice cream

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My aunt used to make a venison mincemeat pie. Haven't had anything that compares to it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Generaial turning. Some of us grew up eating mincemeat and fruitcake , some of you grew up eating Twinkies

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blanket
Generaial turning. Some of us grew up eating mincemeat and fruitcake , some of you grew up eating Twinkies

Grew up eating apple, cherry, blueberry, peach, and pecan pie. Twinkies are above mincemeat on my Nope List.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mincemeat pie ,my wife makes one for me at this time of year every year. Eating a strawberry ruhbarb pie right now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Love mincemeat pie. Our family has done a mincemeat recipe with green tomatoes as the the base. They are blanched and seeds removed then used as a filler pulp. Add raisins apples and spices. Wonderful stuff. I’ve done real venison mincemeat and like it but our family recipe is better.

The history on green tomato mincemeat is from depression days when there would be lots of green tomatoes at the end of the season. Venison was scarce and meat a premium. So the recipe came about to have a pie filling that could be easily canned and kept through the winter and a way to use up plentiful green tomatoes at the end of the season.

Mincemeat and rhubarb pies are my two favorites.

Last edited by mart; 12/05/21.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Grew up eating apple, cherry, blueberry, peach, and pecan pie. Twinkies are above mincemeat on my Nope List.

So your point is ?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Maybe you are from a different part of the country

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
Oh Hell yes. The real deal with currants, meat, etc. Love it! Served warm with vanilla ice cream

I've gotten two black currant plants from a lady at the farmer's market that will go in/near the berry patch next spring. I can' wait for them to start producing.

Perhaps I'll look up a recipe for REAL mincemeat pie then.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.