-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will hunt with my bushnell elites until the day I die. They down break.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree with Jeff on the VX3i. That one is not a good representation of what the better Leupolds are capable of.

We have found the newest Leupold's are holding the their own in any circle. We sell at least 50 Leupold to one Night Force and they are flawless for the last 5 years. Night Force has all but fell on their face with the new NX8 models. We have sold 3 of those and once people got to look through them they were done with NF.

It was the VX3 that had the occasional retical at a slight angle but even those (one) if we sent it in on Monday we get a postcard Wednesday saying it would be done in two weeks and then get it back the next day on Thursday. The exact same experience we had with a really old VX3 that the guy kept overtorquing the knobs on till it broke letting the knob spin.

The new ones have the open turrets with a locking button so it can't turn while being carried. They also offer a bunch for FFP scopes for the guys into that sort of thing. I don't compete so SFP works best for me. The glass is so good I never turn it down. My son grew up on Leupold so he never turns any of his scopes down.

Even the low end models compare favorably to scopes that cost 3 times more. The have made the erectors a lot more robust with a lot more spring tension so tracking is right on. The glass is getting better all the time. I really like spending time just looking through it like a spotting scope. I run a VX6 7-42x56 on my 375 Chey Tac. This is my experience with the current Leupold lineups.

Now if they would bring back the US made Gold Ring Binoculars. I don't want to even look at the imported stuff.

Last edited by HiredGun; 12/06/21.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Case closed

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Calvin
Going from leupold to burris probably isn’t the best move if reliability is your goal.

I had a Burris or two when they first came out didn't care for them then....I sure wouldn't buy one now.

Burris started making scopes in 1971, 50 years ago. Please explain how this relates to Burris scopes now, since you have zip experience with them since then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Calvin
Going from leupold to burris probably isn’t the best move if reliability is your goal.

I had a Burris or two when they first came out didn't care for them then....I sure wouldn't buy one now.

Burris started making scopes in 1971, 50 years ago. Please explain how this relates to Burris scopes now, since you have zip experience with them since then.

LMAO. TOUCHE'

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by LFC
Case closed

Where have I heard that before?

Originally Posted by renegade50
I'm an Oracle ...
You are a bug....

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had 2 brand new Zeiss Conquest go bad just sitting in the gun safe . Brand new scope . Mounted and put it in the safe . Couple months later took it to the range to site it in . It would not track . Sent it back to Zeiss. They replaced it promptly. The replacement did the same thing . I’m done with Zeiss.

Last edited by dpd; 12/06/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HiredGun
I agree with Jeff on the VX3i. That one is not a good representation of what the better Leupolds are capable of.

We have found the newest Leupold's are holding the their own in any circle. We sell at least 50 Leupold to one Night Force and they are flawless for the last 5 years. Night Force has all but fell on their face with the new NX8 models. We have sold 3 of those and once people got to look through them they were done with NF.

It was the VX3 that had the occasional retical at a slight angle but even those (one) if we sent it in on Monday we get a postcard Wednesday saying it would be done in two weeks and then get it back the next day on Thursday. The exact same experience we had with a really old VX3 that the guy kept overtorquing the knobs on till it broke letting the knob spin.

The new ones have the open turrets with a locking button so it can't turn while being carried. They also offer a bunch for FFP scopes for the guys into that sort of thing. I don't compete so SFP works best for me. The glass is so good I never turn it down. My son grew up on Leupold so he never turns any of his scopes down.

Even the low end models compare favorably to scopes that cost 3 times more. The have made the erectors a lot more robust with a lot more spring tension so tracking is right on. The glass is getting better all the time. I really like spending time just looking through it like a spotting scope. I run a VX6 7-42x56 on my 375 Chey Tac. This is my experience with the current Leupold lineups.

Now if they would bring back the US made Gold Ring Binoculars. I don't want to even look at the imported stuff.

I'm glad to hear that the newest crop might be doing better, even if it is in the form of what appears to be a Leupold PSA. I'd like to see them get the ship righted. At the very least, competition in any market is good for the consumer, so I'd hate to see another scope company, especially one with USA roots, go under.

Unfortunately, the issues I've experienced with Leupolds can't be undone. I've moved on, and I've been exceedingly pleased with the products I've moved on to.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would be willing to bet, there are 10,0000 leupold sold to 1 nightforce, and probably 100,000 -1 to ss…. I’m sure there’s a stat somewhere…

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nearly killt with this one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh just stop it big Ed!!!! Guys like us just don’t hunt hard enough!!! 😂😂

Ctsmith will be along to tell me, my new pioneer 700 is hard on scopes, though me, and several Pards have more miles with leupolds riding on racks than him and every other dumb Alabaman could hope for. That southern huntin is fuucking hard on gear!!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This shiit is very hard on gear!!! It was only a 1 minute ride!!! Haha

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]waffle house wilmington nc menu

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oooops, rode around in the back of a sxs for 4 days after not being shot for over 6 years!! Haha

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cry me a river and tell me how fuucking luck “we” are. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by stringnut
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So you drank the campfire Koolaid? This site has more than it's share of Leupold bashers. Interestingly that is not the case on some of the other sources of info. Not trying to change your mind just take what you see with a grain or two of salt.

Not entirely. Just want to look at other options. So far neither my brother , or I, have an issue with our Leupolds. We both have other scopes, but, have always preferred Leupold since we could afford them. We have never bought the cheapest line and maybe that is why we have had good success.

Unless trying a different load, or moving a scope to a different rifle, we are mostly a set it and forget it family.

Shot a lot, hunt quite a bit, used to shoot archery competition pretty seriously. Have combined to make me fussy about reliability.

The only issue I have is the Leupold shuffle, I've heard when going to the 5s or 6s that doesn't happen, but I've also had swarovskis that less than impressed, they wouldn't shoot the box either, and had to go back for shifting POI's after sitting idle in a safe.
Great glass though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Poor worthless leupold ghosted a bigger muley that 99% of the haters with ever kill…. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, but it looks like you fell and bent your bolt handle so who are you to talk???

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry if a bolt handle confuses you…. Bolts ain’t that hard to work

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice old 600/Mohawk action? And great buck. What stock did you get that 600 into, Judman?

This has been a bad Leupold year for me, but I'll continue to hope. They're light and the glass is good.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you think Leupold makes a $hitty scope, just imagine how bad they would be if they built them to the standard of the average Campfire critic.

The last place to get medical advice, look for experience or find any valuable information is the 24hourcampfire.

Wabigoons, Fireballs, steelheads and any number of other vocal blabbermouths add nothing to the intelligence that continues to evade the Internet.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TX35W
Nice old 600/Mohawk action? And great buck. What stock did you get that 600 into, Judman?

This has been a bad Leupold year for me, but I'll continue to hope. They're light and the glass is good.

McMillan model 7, I inletted for a 660…

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.