Print Thread
Hop To
#16695 02/07/01
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Questions------if you do not have any rabbits in the area------how does a yote know the call?????? If you have a cold & use mouth calls does that effect the result???<P>Being new to calling-----I have 5 different wounded rabbit calls-----I have yet to bring in a yote. I attribute this to my lousy calling ability. Then I started thinking----when I plant for elk & deer I always plant what is natural for them----in my area it is wheat---alfalfa & clover------My neighbor has tried all kinds of foreign crops-----corn---that high dollar clover advertised---barley-- oats -nothing comes to eat on his place-----<BR>So that is why I ask about the wounded rabbit----if we don't have rabbits why would they come to the call?????? Now we do have woodpeckers & turkeys-----I have brought a couple in with my turkey call. Any advice would be appreciated.<BR>I have thought about getting a fawn bleating call. Thanks<P><BR>

GB1

M
M
Although my varminting experience (read coyote) is limited, I'd have to say follow mother nature's lead. They're probably are rabbits around you just don't see them, but maybe I'm wrong, you would know better than I. A couple questions though, 1. What range (read terrain) are you hunting in? 2. What type of rabbit call (cottontail or jack)? If your range is relatively close you may be callin when they're close enough to know that ain't a real rabbit dying. Your point about the turkey call is interesting...Maybe you just need a mouse sqeaker for when they're close? Oh well, I'm probably confusing the issue, hope someone else can give you better pointers (can't be much worse [Linked Image]). ~MarinePMI

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The predatory animal seems to respond to the sound of an animal in anguish. While the coarseness, shrillness, or other sounds which indicate a size of the prey seem to affect responce, we must remember that, no matter how keen the animal's sences, it is devoid of reasoning. The sound of an animal of appropriate size in distress sets the predators juices flowing, whether it has ever heard that sound before.<P>Some of my open-reed calls do not sound like anything I can identify, but when blown with feeling, the bring foxes, coyotes, and cats.<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.