Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hsell you look up Ruger cs # on the net you punch menu #'s as instructed you get a cs rep and explain the problem they will send you a shipping lable for your boxed rifle you have to take it to a UPS hub to ship no ffl needed. I am waiting my lable for mine which was improperly chamber also ( short throat).
.mb

What’s the details on your rifle( I assume)?

HR IC

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by hseII
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by ldholton
Being left handed I bought a Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08 as a lighter weight Hunting & truck rifle.

We Found some dies on clearance at midway & they also had some 7mm Hornady 150 ELD-X so we were off to the races.

I loaded rounds to mag length with a few different charges of W760 in resized .260 Nosler brass & have just determined these loads will not allow the bolt to close.

Naturally I assumed I did something wrong but after referring to all the reloading manuals the brass is under sized, most of it 2.015” & at the diameters it should be.

All I can figure is the head space was not set correctly. I am now in search of some Go-No Go Gauges.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Bullet seated too long , refer to manual and see COAL , if you dont have tools the check distance to lands , or brass not properly reformed / sized

4 went into the Ruger Magazine & would cycle except for the bolt closing once in the forward position.

2.915” to the lands.
book COAL is 2.800. How did we determine distance to lands? And you have yet to mention your loaded ammo COAL

Hornady comparator with the threaded casing from Hornady.

COAL was originally 2.835” & I moved it all the way down to 2.795”.

2.795 is only .005 shorter than 2.8

As suggested sharpie the bullet, easily slip the cartridge into the chamber and attempt to close bolt but not hard.

Easily retract bolt and look at the bullet. I bet you see the marks from the lands.

Yessir,

I also sharpied the bullet along with the case neck & no dice. I’ve tried all the “tricks” I’d seen or read about & so far no change.

No marks at all?

No factory ammo available to try?

I bought some from Norma at an Ungodly price just to have a base line- they took my money 2 weeks ago but I’ve not received a shipping label yet.

There is none to be had at a brick & Mortar from Texas to Georgia along I-20. I stopped and/or called every place & on the maps I could find.

Thanks Hiden.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried going shorter than 2.795?

That is only .005 shorter than the SAAMI Max of 2.8.

I would go deeper before trying anything else. No harm in doing so.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No dice as in no marks in the Sharpie? Does the bolt close on an empty chamber? Rail screw a bit long?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
No dice as in no marks in the Sharpie? Does the bolt close on an empty chamber? Rail screw a bit long?

Or on an empy brass.

I would also be interested to know where Hornady loads their factory loaded ELD-X Precision Hunter to as far as overall length goes.

Just looked in an older manual, not an ELD-X but they were loading their sleek bullets, SST & A-Max to 2.755.

Just food for thought.

Another thought, did you sharpie the shoulder really good and see if it is set back far enough?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/11/21.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couldn't see it on my dark phone screen but it looks like the bolt is closed in one of your pics so disregard the rail screw thought.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You said left hand 7-08 and are sizing .260 brass, by any chance will a factory 7-08 chamber! I didn't read every reply. But I think that information is crucial, before any conclusions can be drawn! Or am I missing something by not reading all the replies?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
H sell , mine is a Ruger American predator model in 6mm Creedmoor. It will not accept Hornady factory ammo either the 108 gr eldm or 90 gmx loads. Saami spec is 2.800 according to Nosler manual or Hornady #11. Ammo is loaded to 2.78" and will not chamber easily as the bullets are being forced into the lands. I put a round in and it came out sans the bullet with the action full of powder. Had to knock the bullet out with a cleaning rod. I put a round in my inertia bullet puller and whacked until I had the bullet far enough forward iron the crimp.out then seated by trial and error until it chamber easily at 2.69". That's .09" shorter than the factory ammo. It simply wasn't throated to the correct length. ...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/11/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought one for my son. I'll measure the chamber after xmas. You guys have me worried...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I bought one for my son. I'll measure the chamber after xmas. You guys have me worried...

Wouldn't worry. There was another thread somewhere in here of somebody else having an issue w Hornady ammo.

Hornady factory not an issue for the OP but Hornady bullet.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/11/21.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why would you make 7mm 08 brass out of .260 Remington brass?

I would use .308 win. and neck it down to .7mm 08.

I dont think its as simple as just running a .260 case through 7mm 08 sizing die and depending on the expander button to make things right...your neck thickness could be off. That's a hard push and pull for an expander button.

If it was that simple we wouldnt be having this conversation.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Ruger is great about handing problems. The snag is you'll have to get a FFL involved for return shipping.

Maybe the gun store will help.

The "snag" is going to happen when he tells Ruger he was making 7mm 08 cases from .260 Remington cases and they won't chamber in his gun....

People at Ruger are going to think this is a prank call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC

Years ago i made some cases from other cases....usually when you go up in size you fire form don't you ?

Same parent case, only difference is neck/bullet diameter.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I edited and added to my post after you captured it......there's a little more to it than it being the same parent case.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
LFC is right about 1 thing the op needs to try some factory ammo before complaining to Ruger. Period. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by LFC

I would use .308 win. and neck it down to .7mm 08.

I dont think its as simple as just running a .260 case through 7mm 08 sizing die and depending on the expander button to make things right...your neck thickness could be off. That's a hard push and pull for an expander button.

If it was that simple we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Are you saying the new Nosler brass being upsized could be off but down sizing it wouldn’t do the same?

I’m not sure I follow.

Norma finally Sent an email With tracking info so I’ll have some $3/ round Factory Norma ammo for a base line sometime this coming week.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by LFC

Years ago i made some cases from other cases....usually when you go up in size you fire form don't you ?

Same parent case, only difference is neck/bullet diameter.

That was my thoughts also: maybe LFC is on to something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger is great about handing problems. The snag is you'll have to get a FFL involved for return shipping.

As long as they use the same receiver, they can ship it directly back to the owner.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Being left handed I bought a Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08 as a lighter weight Hunting & truck rifle.

We Found some dies on clearance at midway & they also had some 7mm Hornady 150 ELD-X so we were off to the races.

I loaded rounds to mag length with a few different charges of W760 in resized .260 Nosler brass & have just determined these loads will not allow the bolt to close.

Naturally I assumed I did something wrong but after referring to all the reloading manuals the brass is under sized, most of it 2.015” & at the diameters it should be.

All I can figure is the head space was not set correctly. I am now in search of some Go-No Go Gauges.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Box up your rifle and call RUger they will come and get the rifle and probably have it fixed within a week and returned back to you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Wrong. see my post

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.