-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I put the camper on the truck yesterday.... getting serious!!! <P>The annual Antelope Eaters Hunt is held each year at Seligman, Arizona. This area is home to some of the best trophy antelope in the world, and during birthing season, which is coming up right now, coyotes take a very high percentage of newborns. The hunt is organized into a contest and gathering of coyote hunters for fun, fellowship, competition, and to help the antelope. This year it is March 3-4, and I will be there. Good opportunity to look the antelope herd over (this is where I will apply for my antelope permit), and maybe get a critter or two.<P>Ariz Game and Fish says these hunts have made a notable difference in the survival rates of the calves....<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
GB1

C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sounds like a good hunt for a good cause. We need more across the country. The antelope are getting hammered up here too. I am amazed at the number of fawn parts that I find in dens while deening for coyotes in the summer here, but the game dept. seems to think nothing of it. They are trying to blame lack of habitat.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
M
M
Anyone ever do a "Hunter's for the Hungry" hunt? Years ago I participated in one in NC. A great cause (all meat taken during the organized hunts are for the homeless soup kitchens) and great people. I've thought of starting something similar out here in CA, but the animal rights people would probably have a cow! Oh well, screw'em if they can't take a joke. ~MarinePMI

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Critr,<P>The Jicarillia implemented a bounty awhile back for there mule deer herd due to coyotes. Apparently 70% of the fawns were being killed. This made the Jic's a bit mad, because a mature mule deer tag runs $10,000 dollars. Since implementing this the survival rate of fawns has gone up to 50% or so.<P>I would hunt the Jic but I would need there small games permit and who knows what that would cost. I am sure I could break even with the bounty.<P>Either way you look it coyotes are getting to be to sucessful. I hope you guys put a big dent in the population. And good luck on the tag draw. [Linked Image]<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That's a great idea, Critr. I may organize my own little effort along those lines up here - a one-man crusade. The coyotes have definitely had an impact on antelope in this area. What's the calling routine? Do you use fawn bleats, or the usual array of distress calls?<P>Good luck, <BR>Greggun

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good question, greggun. I haven't been able to get up to this hunt in the past. But usually a predator will go for anything that sounds like food, and is helpless.<P>Maybe I can tell you more after March 4....<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cheeeckkinnng OUT! Be back Monday. Ya'll behave, now.<P>Gone huntin' fer an Antelope Eater!!!!!!!!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] <P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Critr Gitr<BR>How was the hunt? Did ya get a bunch of them coyotes? <BR>YoungHunter

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It was a rough one. Rough on me, personally, because I found out how old I am getting. It was cold and muddy, really rough. Sinking in mud in afternoons, ground frozen each morning. My hands almost refused to participate in the hunt, and hurt when I forced them to operate. Extra-Strength Tylenol helped. Never had to do that before.<P>It was rough on my truck. Dragged axles in the mud, inside both truck and camper looks like a hurricane dropped a load of mud inside. Ran in mud and gravel so deep that the gravel was grinding in the disk brakes. Horrible sound!!<P>First mud (and just the beginning):<P> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=11922335&p=42822971&Sequence=0[/img] <P>Mud got so thick on the tires that it was rubbing off on the fenders. When I got home, the tires were clean and it didn't look so bad.<P> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=11922335&p=42822974&Sequence=0[/img] <P>I was hunting unfamiliar territory. Mud was so deep I couldn't get across high flats (where the antelope live), and parked Friday night on the edge of the flats, after climbing several ridges. Snowed 3 inches that night. Called there next morning, a pair came in and spooked before I could get a good shot. Threw 3 chasers after them as they departed. Retraced my route down the ridges, stopping to call every mile or so. Not good coyote territory, so I hoped for a cat.<P>Saturday at 12:45 a coyote came loping in, the AR-15 looked on while Fluffy bit 'im. Or was it the other way around......?????<P> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=11922335&p=42822961&Sequence=0[/img] <P>Actually, the 'yote came in, head down, intent on sneaking up on Fluffy, and gave me a perfect shot.<P> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=11922335&p=42822965&Sequence=0[/img] <P>Sunday I hunted a different area and saw nothing. The hunt effectively ended at noon, as we had to check in by 2 pm. Now that I know a little about where to begin hunting the area, I'd like to do it again.<P>There were 99 teams hunted. I probably was the only one-man team. A total of 100 coyotes were turned in, so that made me about average, I guess. But now that I know a little about hunting there, I could do better. But one team got 10 coyotes, one team got 8, two teams got 6 each, and some got 4 each. Where do you suppose that left a bunch of the teams................<P>One team got a bonus, a mountain lion!!<P>I could have done better hunting near home, but the adventure into new and different country made it worth it.... I think...!!!<BR>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)<p>[This message has been edited by Critr Gitr (edited March 05, 2001).]

Critr
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hey, Critr. <P>100 coyotes...<P>So how many antelope fawns you think that saved for the fawning season? I'd say a whole bunch. <P>Y'all done good!<P>Greggun

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hey there you old, old, old man... [Linked Image]<P>Whats this moaning crap...(?) Glad to hear you had some fun. Sure makes you appreciate dry maintained roads does'nt it. Looks like you need to get rid of the all terrains and get some bfg mudders if your gonna hunt in the mud.<P>I see that the pewney .223 killed yet another animal. You'll become a believer in it soon enough. [Linked Image] Like that decoy you got there. Looks like with all of that hair it would have some movement with a light breeze. Notice you took yet another picture with that darn mask on.<P>How large was the lion that was taken?<P>I noticed a few prarie rats were already out here in NM and CO. Cant wait to get after them. How has the weather been up there? Is it getting too hot, are the animals denning up yet?<P>I am suposed to meet up with some locals here from Abq. Maybe I will learn some tricks from them? This time of year though the calling is tough. Plus were gonna be in a highly called area. So it might be a dry run, but it will beat sitting in this big city. Let you know how things go,<P>Chad<P>

NM Kid<BR>
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wait another 40 years, you young upstart!! [Linked Image] <BR>Actually, needing to take a painkiller to function properly was new to me, and something that probably had more emotional distress than anything else......<P>Since this was a coyote hunt, other animals were not turned in. There were probably some bobcats taken, but no record of them. Likewise, nothing about the lion except word that some guys got one.<P>Maybe I forgot to mention that when I shot the 'yote, he got back up. [Linked Image] Knocked him down again, and he got back up. [Linked Image] Third hit and he stayed down. [Linked Image] Maybe those 60-gr V-Maxes are no good....??? [Linked Image] <P>It has been unseasonably cold and rainy here, as reflected in this trip. The desert floor has a nice green color all over it, quite unusual here.<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Oh yes, about the tires. I am not sure what to think. I had the truck frame dragging in the mud, and it just kept going. This happened on 4 different roads that I tried to use to get out into the antelope flats. Then I would back out. Really amazed that I didn't hang up completely. So,.... would more aggressive tires have helped, or just dug me in and really been stuck? Don't know. It was surprising to me how well it did with the tires I have.<P>Really makes me want a super-light 4WD utility of some kind, with GREAT BIG mud tires, to tow into the area and access those roughest, softest areas in. An older, cheap 4WD would do, maybe like a Suzuki Samari???<P>WHAT mask???<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hey there Critr,<P>Does your truck have a posi in the back? Glad to hear you did not get stuck, thats no fun at all.<P>Three shots to kill a coyote... Geez was on speed or something? [Linked Image] Sounds like you need some 50 grain pills. They shoot right at 3,300 fps. I really can recall only having to shot one coyote twice.<P>Well at least the weather is cooperating for you. All that gree grass should help the mice, and rabbitts have a good jump start. So the predators should do extremly well there this yr.<P>Heck just get a 4wd 4 wheeler. Hit the bad stuff in the truck. Unload it and get after them.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi, Chad. Yes, I ordered this thing with positraction, so there is none of that opposite wheels spinning junk. Probably helped a gob in that mud. I hadn't even thought about it...<P>Maybe velocity is the answer...??? Maybe a 6x45 is the answer..... [Linked Image] <P>You may have something in that 4-wheeler thought. I just hate the idea of riding out in the cold! Brrrr!!! [Linked Image] <P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hey There Critr,<P>Everything we get we make sure it has a posi. Makes a huge difference. And if you must go everywhere put an air locker up front. I have noticed other hunting partners with open rears are in 4 wheel drive when I am in 2 wd. Worth the extra 300 any day.<P>I have a Kawasaki 4 wd 4 wheeler. That sucker will go up anything you want. I have even gone across rivers, canals with no problems. As long as water is not to high and fast moving. <P>If you put an air shield up fron this will keep the wind off your face. This makes a big difference. Next they have electric - gloves that are attached to the handle grips. Keep your hands toasty and warm. Also I have seen contraptions that enclose the hole 4 wheeler, so in no way are you in the elements. I can run about 60 miles on a tank.<P>I am sure you could find a good 2 wd or 4 wd wheeler for cheap. They are everywhere. If you get one you can use it for other stuff to like big game hunting. Also the things are built so well now they will last for every if taken care of. <P>Well I am off, meeting two new guys, storm is a moving in, maybe the coyotes will be receptive?<P>Chad<P>

NM Kid<BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,524 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.