Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Interesting thread. I would just add the 155 Lapua Mega to the list. Mega has a really well designed mechanical lock to keep it together.

Interesting post on an interesting bullet.... I'm looking for something other than the Hornady 160 round nose for some shorter range hunting that needs penetration from hard angles. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

I'm no elk or moose expert, but, if you want to not worry about "hard angle" shots, why not use a caliber where you don't have to worry about "hard angle" shots?

I have more than one 6.5 man-bun. Love the caliber. But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie

I have more than one 6.5 man-bun. Love the caliber. But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

Based on?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

I can't wait for today's lesson.

🤣

I'm done with his lessons. Another candidate for the Ignore Button!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

Based on?

I always baffled by why would anyone intentionally shoot an elk (or deer) through the shoulders. Completely wastes the meat of the front end. Is all we are worried about anymore the antlers?

Anyway back to the OP, IF I ever draw another elk tag I plan on using my 6.5 CM with Hornady 140gr SST's. They zip right though deer, don't see why they would not work just fine on an elk.

Last edited by centershot; 12/16/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Things I have learned from Llama Bob in the past few weeks:

All Barnes bullets typically fail to expand
Nosler Accubonds and Partions are tier 2 bullets
The 30-06 is an inferior hunting cartridge
The 6.5x55 is slightly less inferior than the 30-06
NULA rifles are a terrible design
Mule Deer is generally an idiot
Simulation and load to velocity is a better way of load development than using manuals

I can't wait for today's lesson.

🤣

Thanks for the laugh

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Here's another clown with a reading comprehension problem. I already explained that often you find out what outfitter is missing an elk. Their guys aren't shooting FMJ, so when you see a pencil wound it's Barnes. This really isn't that complicated.

A truism in life is when everyone - and I DO mean everyone - thinks you're a fool, it might be time for some self-assessment...

Right on Brad. Textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by beretzs

And I’d wonder how doing an examination of an elk shot in October shows much of anything after rotting for a solid month in the mountains that’s really identifiable let alone being able to stand close enough to one really dig and lift on them.

Depends on how cold it was in October, and if the magpies or coyotes ate the bullet…..😊

I have done “bullet necropsies” on two, dead, unrecovered elk when they were a a day or so old ( on average I find a unrecovered elk once a year up at our high country place). Both occasions the bullets were armpit shots, both times the bullet didn’t make it past the first lung. A one lung elk can run a fair ways.

I’ve seen this bullet performance while guiding, with friends, and myself a long time ago. Which is why I continue to preach stout, premium type bullets.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Here's another clown with a reading comprehension problem. I already explained that often you find out what outfitter is missing an elk. Their guys aren't shooting FMJ, so when you see a pencil wound it's Barnes. This really isn't that complicated.

A truism in life is when everyone - and I DO mean everyone - thinks you're a fool, it might be time for some self-assessment...

Dunning-Kruger nails Ole Bob perfectly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by centershot

Based on?

I always baffled by why would anyone intentionally shoot an elk (or deer) through the shoulders. Completely wastes the meat of the front end. Is all we are worried about anymore the antlers?

Anyway back to the OP, IF I ever draw another elk tag I plan on using my 6.5 CM with Hornady 140gr SST's. They zip right though deer, don't see why they would not work just fine on an elk.

At least on the elk myself and the other folks I hunt with I’d bet that we usually pin at least one front leg on about every elk we take. The meat loss from everything from Partitions, Accubonds, heavy ELDs, Bitterroots, Sciroccos, TTSX, etc has been pretty small.

On deer I’d agree that hammering front legs is bad overall but on the mountain it’s nice to hike over and find them where they were hit or at least in close proximity.

Last edited by beretzs; 12/16/21.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

But Llama Bob knows all!

Apparently he's had the opportunity to kill hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of big game animals, enough to test the virtues and faults of every big game bullet.

Unfortunately, he apparently can't figure out how to post photos on the internet as evidence of his vast experience.

Nope, but I get to see what happens in the biggest (and arguably most accessible) elk herd in the world. And I get to see all the animals that weren't recovered at the end of November lying around on the ground. Some are too eaten to learn anything from. Some are not. There are three basic patterns in those animals:

1) Blowups that didn't reach enough vitals from Bergers, Scenars, SMKs, and the like leaving the heart and far lung intact (or very close). Usually this is the result of a rib impact. Sometimes you see this pattern with for example a core lokt or SGK on the shoulder too, but less. Most of those seem to get recovered, probably because elk with broken shoulders don't go as far.
2) Pencil throughs
3) Shots not in the chest, but this is rarer than you'd think - maybe 10-15% of failures to recover.

So the first thing to learn is that those who harp on shot placement are dead wrong. The vast majority of failures to recover follow a shot in the chest.

Now, with pencil throughs often times you don't know what happened - it could be some idiot ignoring hunting regs and using FMJ or small bore solids. But often times it's known what outfitter/client a given elk is associated with,and the outfitters are supposed to weed out the FMJ. In those cases it's..... Barnes.

Maybe Barnes has fixed the problem with the LRX, but given that this is their 4th attempt I stopped trusting them a LONG time ago.

Posts like this remind me of Formidilosus..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Thanks for the Dunning-Kruger reference. I wasn't aware of it, but looked it up. I found a good distillation of its main ideas: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/dunning-kruger-effect

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

And I’d wonder how doing an examination of an elk shot in October shows much of anything after rotting for a solid month in the mountains that’s really identifiable let alone being able to stand close enough to one really dig and lift on them.

Depends on how cold it was in October, and if the magpies or coyotes ate the bullet…..😊

I have done “bullet necropsies” on two, dead, unrecovered elk when they were a a day or so old ( on average I find a unrecovered elk once a year up at our high country place). Both occasions the bullets were armpit shots, both times the bullet didn’t make it past the first lung. A one lung elk can run a fair ways.

I’ve seen this bullet performance while guiding, with friends, and myself a long time ago. Which is why I continue to preach stout, premium type bullets.

I will also point out that our rifle seasons end at the end of November, not October. Last day you could legally shoot an elk with a rifle this year was Nov. 28. We're not super high up, so we see more action 2nd through 4th season (all November) than in 1st.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And alpinecrick you're exactly right, a one lung elk can run a LONG ways, and it's very easy for that to happen with a perfect shot if you use an imperfect bullet. The idea that it's somehow about shot placement is absurd. Shot placement matters, but bullet performance is usually where the failure occurs.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

At least on the elk myself and the other folks I hunt with I’d bet that we usually pin at least one front leg on about every elk we take. The meat loss from everything from Partitions, Accubonds, heavy ELDs, Bitterroots, Sciroccos, TTSX, etc has been pretty small.

On deer I’d agree that hammering front legs is bad overall but on the mountain it’s nice to hike over and find them where they were hit or at least in close proximity.

Yeah I get the feeling alot of people here have little or no clue about hunting elk. Given the choice of breaking the shoulder and losing a couple pounds of meat (on an animal that will yield 200+) but being able to recover the animal where you shot it, vs having them run up or down whatever crazy crap for 300 yards is a no brainer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What bullets do when they hit an animal is fact.

Yes, but judging by your last few posts, your description of what bullets do is not fact. It’s a guess, and based on very shaky ground, at that.

Nope, it's facts and that's what has the clowns all upset, because they can't opine against facts. Animals were shot. Barnes and target bullets failed. Those are the facts.

No, based on your posts the facts are that you have no clue what bullet was used in many, if not all, cases, or what the wound channel inside the elk looked like.

Here’s an actual fact (so you can see what an actual fact looks like): I have witnessed slightly under 150 BG animals killed with various X/TSX/TTSX/LRX Barnes bullets - and yes, I knew which specific bullet was being used before each animal was shot - and I haven’t seen a single case in which the post-mortem evidence and/or the animal’s reaction after the shot indicated a failure to expand by the bullet.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
LB is your basic bullshitter. Run into them all the time.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Y'all really are very amusing.

There's a reason Barnes keeps redesigning the X bullet, and it's because word gets out about the previous design.

Now, if you want to use them be my guest. They probably work right about 95% of the time and can be good when the twist rate on a gun won't allow heavy bullets but you still need deep penetration or the bullet you want isn't available. They work better in high velocity guns than in slow ones.

But don't pretend they don't fail, because not only have I seen 10s of failures, but it's been pretty well documented across the industry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by centershot

Based on?

I'd guess over 50% of the elk I've taken were shot through the shoulders. I prefer it, or tight behind the shoulder. Of course, when we say "shoulders" that encompasses a lot of real estate. Sometimes it's the only spot available, but it's the perfect spot to break-down locomotion and bust the lungs. I like a scapula/lung hit, or breaking a leg bone w/ lungs. Meat loss? meh...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is Llamabob perhaps ElkSlayer’s sock puppet?

They are both overly confident in there pronouncements, and are both generally FOS.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, clearly I'm all the people who've made y'all look like morons over the years. In fact I'm all of them at once. You've figured it out laugh

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 55 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.