Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Pints, seems like you've gotten good advice here from those that have actually used the 6.5CM/6.5x55 on elk and moose.

Of course, the Campfire being what it is, you've also gotten a fair chair of surmising (aka guessing), egoism/narcissism, and plain stupidity.

I often marvel that just because someone owns a 6.5 CM (or any cartridge) they somehow believe that gives them the authority to give advice on a game animal they've never taken with the round. I equate 6.5x55 experience as same/same. However, a 9.3x62/338 WM/ 300 Mag, etc., are not the same. Crazy concept, right?

I've owned sever 6.5 CM's, and have loaded and shot a variety of bullets into paper from it, but I've never taken one head of game with the round. Guess what? I don't have an opinion based on experience, and therefore have refrained from commenting.

What I've done instead is waded through the BS, noted the opinions of those with experience, and tucked away the info for the future. Am I special because of that? No, just endeavored to act like an adult... sigh.

Originally Posted by beretzs
I guess I just wonder in what world a well built bullet from the CM wouldn’t be okay for moose or elk out to 300 yards. But as Brad said, I haven’t shot either with a CM, only deer.

When my daughter or young son draw their first elk tag I’m betting they’ll have a 6.5 or 7mm of some sort and I’d bet they’ll do okay. Just like my older son did with his 7x57 and 150 Partitions.

Thank you fellas - I’ve definitely got some good advice to act on. Today I ordered a few boxes of Hornady 129gr IL & 127gr LRX - and yeah, I’ve never shot anything larger than 1 single deer with my 6.5 which hardly qualifies me to talk about things.

Minutiae - I know I’m new here & personally enjoy some BS among general small talk but for some, but when the line gets crossed too often I have a difficult time connecting with their opinions - probably like everyone at some level. Maybe they wish they had more experience than they do so they talk something up beyond what so many knowledgeable folks have obviously seen - BTDT rule - I don’t know. Personally, some of my life experiences, I wish I didn’t have and others I’m grateful for - often they are intertwined.

On here or pretty much everywhere, when I don’t know something I’ll ask as I did here. For me, I’m personally looking & hoping some for real-life experience and hopeful that the comments can add solid facts that we can all can grow from and perhaps drive our game to a new level.

I sincerely appreciate all of the responses even if I don’t understand some of them because they are not what I’ve experienced or can imagine experiencing. Just me probably.

The gun writer forum is my favorite & I really appreciate JB and others for their fact filled comments.

Big Green Egg is lit - I’m BBQ’ing for the family tonight with this weird, warm Vermont weather.

Be well all!

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I have see "X" bullets in 25-06 and 270 Win fail to expand.

Wait, that NEVER happens. Mule Deer, WAM and Smokepole are going to have to put on their clown shoes and dance around and pretend you didn't see what you saw because otherwise they'd have to admit
a) they're wrong
b) I'm right
c) they're stupid

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Dead elk.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dead elk

Including my daughter's 375 yard one taken with a single shot from her 20" .308.

Dead elk

Dead elk

Dead elk

To be continued....

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Dead elk

Dead elk

Dead elk

Dead elk

Dead elk

All taken in the last 10 years with .308 Win, 300 WM or 6.5 CM.

None with a premium bullet. Sierra Matchkings, Sierra Game Kings, Hornady ELD-X and Lapua Scenars were used.

None of these elk managed to escape.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice Mackay. Great stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by goalie

I have more than one 6.5 man-bun. Love the caliber. But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

Based on?

Based on me having "bigger" rifles that I shoot well.

😉

Gotchya. You seemed to have a strong opinion so I thought it was based on actual experience with elk shoulders and the CM.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
300 plus pound Caribou bull couldn’t stop a 140 NP from my Creed. Great bullet performance. There’s no need for high BC bullets at that range.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I intend to hunt a cow elk this month or next with a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. The rifle weighs less than 6 lbs. with sling & 1.5-5 Leupold & shoots very well. Will probably use Federal Fusion 140 gr. factory ammunition.

I consider this to be absolute proof of the adequacy of this round due simply & irrefutably to the fact that a man of my esteem is planning to use it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Humm, I used a 243 win with 100g partitions for cow elk....you will do very well!

6.5 Creed, 140g Speer gold dots are as premium as you will ever need!

Last edited by keith; 12/16/21.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I AM indeed, quite a big deal!

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Nice Elk & Daughter Mackay Sagebrush!
Shows fine hunting & parenting.

Wondered why you redacted your face. Assume you’re working undercover amongst the elk?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Heard he's actually Chuck Norris.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I consider this to be absolute proof of the adequacy of this round due simply & irrefutably to the fact that a man of my esteem is planning to use it.

At least you have the balls to be so honest! laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I have see "X" bullets in 25-06 and 270 Win fail to expand.

Wait, that NEVER happens. Mule Deer, WAM and Smokepole are going to have to put on their clown shoes and dance around and pretend you didn't see what you saw because otherwise they'd have to admit
a) they're wrong
b) I'm right
c) they're stupid

Man, you're setting the bar pretty low.... blush

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
300 plus pound Caribou bull couldn’t stop a 140 NP from my Creed. Great bullet performance. There’s no need for high BC bullets at that range.

Yes and so did a 143gr ELD-X for my caribou in AK back in 2018 - at 375 yards.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He doesn't realize that Mule Deer has reported a failure to expand with the original X bullet. He's a Woodleigh homer, like Varmint Guy and LFC with Leupold.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
He doesn't realize........

Could've stopped right there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice small sample. While he's generally an idiot, Mule Deer is right that many hunters don't understand statistics. You're one of them. I've seen 10+ bullet failures a year for decades. It's pretty obvious what's failing, and it is a statistically valid sample although collected as a natural experiment rather than a controlled one, And Barnes monos are one of the frequent failures. Match bullets are the other. You'd be better off with a Core Lokt than either probably, but since it's an expensive hunt don't be a clown and buy some TBBC/Terminal Ascents or A-Frames or Northforks.

WWP53D
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m thinking Skane is correct.

Any chance you and BSA’ are related?

Originally Posted by SKane
Nice small sample. While he's generally an idiot, Mule Deer is right that many hunters don't understand statistics. You're one of them. I've seen 10+ bullet failures a year for decades. It's pretty obvious what's failing, and it is a statistically valid sample although collected as a natural experiment rather than a controlled one, And Barnes monos are one of the frequent failures. Match bullets are the other. You'd be better off with a Core Lokt than either probably, but since it's an expensive hunt don't be a clown and buy some TBBC/Terminal Ascents or A-Frames or Northforks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lol

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,270
Posts18,525,479
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.