Print Thread
Hop To
T
ty98zr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Has anyone here been on guided Texas varmint hunt or have any recommendations. I would like to go down there on varmint hunt for gray fox and ringtail cats. Others varmints would be fun too but just looking to shoot some oddball things we don’t have in my neck of the woods.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Contact Bruce Williams at Hang 'em'High whitetails. He has a FB page, I dont know if he has a website.Ive hunted with him a few times and gotten the critters you are after. Particularly Grey Fox.

Both these pics were taken after I killed the 3 fox on one stand...It happened frequently.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ingwe; 12/17/21.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Contact Bruce Williams at Hang 'em'High whitetails. He has a FB page, I dont know if he has a website.Ive hunted with him a few times and gotten the critters you are after. Particularly Grey Fox.

Both these pics were taken after I killed the 3 fox on one stand...It happened frequently.

I didn't know you knew Bruce!

Heckova guy!

Known him for many years. He lives and breathes hunting! smile

https://www.facebook.com/Hang-Em-High-Whitetails-598867296937692/?ref=page_internal

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe

The scopes on your rifles look like regular glass. Does the guide have lights sufficient for night shooting? Any opinions on lighted reticles or dots?

I've done very little night calling and mostly less than successful, as i just didn't invest in the equipment. Is there a learning curve to spotting fox and such on these hunts?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, this sounds awesome.. I think I must try this.. Thanks.

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by johnw
Ingwe

The scopes on your rifles look like regular glass. Does the guide have lights sufficient for night shooting? Any opinions on lighted reticles or dots?

I've done very little night calling and mostly less than successful, as i just didn't invest in the equipment. Is there a learning curve to spotting fox and such on these hunts?

At that time they were standard glass, guide used white light, and it worked fine, even worked good under red light but since I have switched to illuminated reticles, which make target acquisition quicker, even when using a red reticle with a red light.

I also shoot hogs at night and lit reticles are nice for that.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I didn't know you knew Bruce!

Heckova guy!

Known him for many years. He lives and breathes hunting! smile

https://www.facebook.com/Hang-Em-High-Whitetails-598867296937692/?ref=page_internal

I had alot of fun with Bruce and he even gave me the ultimate compliment...wanted me to go on one of his coyote calling contests cause he really liked the way I shot. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe

At that time they were standard glass, guide used white light, and it worked fine, even worked good under red light but since I have switched to illuminated reticles, which make target acquisition quicker, even when using a red reticle with a red light.

I also shoot hogs at night and lit reticles are nice for that.

Recommend an Illuminated reticle scope for a svelte Sako L461.222?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Recommend an Illuminated reticle scope for a svelte Sako L461.222?

OK here goes...Best bang for the buck is the SIG Whiskey 3 in 3x9 with Firedot( I think they call it..) reticle about $199 from Doug At Cameraland

Next is a Hawke Endurance 3x9 with their lighted reticle About $159 and after that is the Hawke Vantage 3x9 with lighted reticle-goes red or green...also about $199 from Doug.

The SIG Whiskey....

The Hawke Vantage..

The Hawke Endurance...

Last edited by ingwe; 12/24/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just off the phone with CLNY

Ordered 2 of the Hawke Vantage 2x7-32 AO IR scopes. They're 3 oz lighter than the Sig Whiskey, and trimmer, of course. They were also priced to sell so in addition to the .222, I will also give it a workout on my RAR .17 HMR

Does anyone you've hunted with in Texas use or recommend the HMR for fox or bobcat?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just off the phone with CLNY

Ordered 2 of the Hawke Vantage 2x7-32 AO IR scopes. They're 3 oz lighter than the Sig Whiskey, and trimmer, of course. They were also priced to sell so in addition to the .222, I will also give it a workout on my RAR .17 HMR

Does anyone you've hunted with in Texas use or recommend the HMR for fox or bobcat?

The HAWKE 2x7s have the best eye relief Ive ever seen, used one on my Ruger #1 in .222

As for the HMR, I think it would be near ideal for called grey fox....not sure about bobcat. I know it will work, but you need it to work well when the cat comes in.And often they don't come in close.

2x7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a hawk vantage 3x4-40 AO. On the ruger mark II .223 rem Non luminated gots the M.O.A marks on the reticle...

Crystal clear, tracks exact, focusses good, eye relief exellent. Good fit on the trim ruger.

Weather has not been conductive to killing stuffs, snow, high winds, snow plowing and such....

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 13 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,638
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.