L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

But Llama Bob knows all!

Apparently he's had the opportunity to kill hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of big game animals, enough to test the virtues and faults of every big game bullet.

Unfortunately, he apparently can't figure out how to post photos on the internet as evidence of his vast experience.

You guys meeting at the OK Coral at high noon....

Pretty cocky for an Out'e door writer man.

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

David Allen Coe needs to write a song about girly guns and manly guns.

Dont be afraid the kick will only hurt for a little while.....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Don’t hold back.

Ok..

You Creedmore girls are about as sensitive as the idgits that shoot turkeys with Tss size #9 fairy dust sized shot....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC

The major reason is that 6.5 bullets, of the same make and weight, catch up to .270 bullets around 300 yards--and at closer ranges they have sufficient energy and penetration to not matter.

That is some mAgic chit right there.....

Naw, it’s simple Newtonian mechanics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't think I ever ran across anyone as concerned about hypermasculinity and homosexuality as two groups. Anti gun folk and Creedmoor haters. It probably says something about them but I don't really care what. Or who this guy is lol.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Asking mule deer to expound on the 160 Hornady rn bullet please. I have shot a couple of whitetail and had good expansion pass through on both
This with 260 rem at 2550 fps or so.
Thank you sir.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fury,

I have seen the 160 do that, including both shoulders--and also seen it not reach the far ribs on a broadside lung shot. Phil Shoemaker, the Alaskan bear guide/outfitter, has also seen it do similar things.

The rifle I used was a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine, with the bullet loaded to a muzzle velocity of around 2200 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you sir. So it is erring on the too soft side at times yes?
Maybe the 260 has just enough speed to push all that expansion on through in my case.
We’re you shooting the 264 or the 268 version in your Mannlicher?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Its Newtonian alright....

https://youtu.be/YgftpXlD3DI

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Igloo
Don't think I ever ran across anyone as concerned about hypermasculinity and homosexuality as two groups. Anti gun folk and Creedmoor haters. It probably says something about them but I don't really care what. Or who this guy is lol.

I dont hate the.Creedmore I just didn't fall for the Hornady pushed hype.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM
There’s a few here that claim to be tripping over lost/dead elk every year around here.

Dam sure couldn’t tell much on the few I’ve found through the years.

Based on my findings, this was a target bullet that blew up on a rib.😆

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Llama Bob,

I just posted up 10 years and 10 dead elk, plus a bonus 11th elk of the kids.

Not one was shot with a premium bullet. All were shot with the exact bullets that you say fail. Lapua Scenars, Sierras, etc.

This is called "Backing what you say" aka credibility.

Speaking of credibility..

Where are the pics of all these dead elk laying all over the ground for as you say decades? In the age of cell phones, surely you, someone in your family, your neighbor would have taken pics.

I’d have to agree with SLM on this one...It’s a clear case of a Berger rib grenade.

Hold into the partitions

😝🦫

Holy smokes. That made my ribs hurt I laughed so hard.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC
Jordan,

But Llama Bob knows all!

Apparently he's had the opportunity to kill hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of big game animals, enough to test the virtues and faults of every big game bullet.

Unfortunately, he apparently can't figure out how to post photos on the internet as evidence of his vast experience.

You guys meeting at the OK Coral at high noon....

Pretty cocky for an Out'e door writer man.

LFC,

Well, gee. I happened to have killed hundreds of big game animals, and been next to family members and hunting partners who killed a bunch more. The total is now close to 1000, and I didn't just look at the exit hole (if there was one), or poke something into the entrance hole, to judge how they worked. Accomplished this while hunting in 14 different countries, often on culls. One in Africa lasted a month, and a total of 12 other guys took part, killing animals from pronghorn-size to eland and Cape buffalo weighing around 1500 pounds. That was the 3rd cull I went on in Africa, and since the other guys who went were mostly rifle loonies, a bunch of different bullets and cartridges were tested--including the Barnes TSX, which was pretty new then, and a bullet LB claims fails to open quite often. They were used in sizes from 140-grain .270 to 270-grain .375. One guy killed 24 animals with his .270 WSM and the 140, and gee, every one expanded--which I could tell by spending time in the skinning shack every evening to observe animals being taken apart. In fact none of the TSXs failed to expand.

But have also taken part in such hunts from New Zealand to Europe, as well as several U.S. states, probably 8-10 in Texas alone. Did this most frequently from around 2000 to 2010, when I spent close $100,000 on travel and hunting, in large part to find out how various bullets worked. This can be tested to a certain extent in various kinds of media, which I also have done considerably. But the best way to determine how big game bullets work is to shoot a lot of big game, then take the animals apart to find out exactly what happened.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Factually I agree with the humor and most of the criticism anent the attack on Barnes x bullets. However it is not good that we eat our own so willingly. Both directions by the way. Save that ammo for those after the whole of us.
Some facts to add: shot a lot of game withe original 180 x 30 caliber bullet in a 30-06. Perfect performance every time. Bragged on it to my buddy a lot. He was a 165 grain fan so I bought two boxes of those and loaded him up a very accurate load in his rifle for Christmas gift. That original 165x was very streamlined and we had several act like jmj’s on white tails. That means land where they were aimed, tip and tumble a percentage of the time and exit in a caliber sized hole When they tumbled we usually recovered the deer. When they, we presume, didn’t expand and didn’t tumble, we last a couple. Having used fmj, a lot in 223 caliber I recognize the issue. Wasn’t long before Barnes changed that bullet to a blunter profile and opened up the tip. My 35 Whelen 225 x original was as good a bullet as ever made. Hammer of Thor. I would not hesitate to use the current Barnes tsx or ttsx in any of my hunting rifles from 264 to the 450 grain tsx in the 458wm. The 500 grain tsx eh, not so much.

Last edited by Fury01; 12/18/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you take the hyped up 6.5 Creedmore

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LFC
Did you take the hyped up 6.5 Creedmore

If you’re going to whine, at least spell it right.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

...the best way to determine how big game bullets work is to shoot a lot of big game, then take them apart to find out exactly what happened.

THIS is what some folks need to understand. Looking at an entry or exit tells you squat. A bullet can perform beautifully, expand as designed and -- due to a variety of factors -- leave a small exit hole in the hide.

Also, I'll add that one example of bullet performance is virtually meaningless. Odd things can happen when high velocity metal strikes flesh and bone. Far too many will see what they think is poor bullet performance, stop using them and then condemn them evermore to anyone who'll listen. Or they'll get a dead-in-the-tracks results and declare that bullet the best thing since sliced bread...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you're not using a Nosler Partition for anything bigger than deer-sized game, you're using the wrong bullet.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pretty sure we got it right, but waiting on confirmation from LB.

Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM
There’s a few here that claim to be tripping over lost/dead elk every year around here.

Dam sure couldn’t tell much on the few I’ve found through the years.

Based on my findings, this was a target bullet that blew up on a rib.😆

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Llama Bob,

I just posted up 10 years and 10 dead elk, plus a bonus 11th elk of the kids.

Not one was shot with a premium bullet. All were shot with the exact bullets that you say fail. Lapua Scenars, Sierras, etc.

This is called "Backing what you say" aka credibility.

Speaking of credibility..

Where are the pics of all these dead elk laying all over the ground for as you say decades? In the age of cell phones, surely you, someone in your family, your neighbor would have taken pics.

I’d have to agree with SLM on this one...It’s a clear case of a Berger rib grenade.

Hold into the partitions

😝🦫

Holy smokes. That made my ribs hurt I laughed so hard.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
120+ monos
130-140 bonded cup/core

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you can find any, 156gr SP Oryx Bonded Bullets

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 65 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,267
Posts18,525,375
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.