Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
If you can find any, 156gr SP Oryx Bonded Bullets

I've wondered about those, Steve, and would like to give them a try someday.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used Oryx bullets in 6.5mm, 7mm, .30 and 9.3mm. They work very well on game, and although the BC isn't high enough for some hunters, out to 300 yards that won't matter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Igloo
Don't think I ever ran across anyone as concerned about hypermasculinity and homosexuality as two groups. Anti gun folk and Creedmoor haters. It probably says something about them but I don't really care what. Or who this guy is lol.

I dont hate the.Creedmore I just didn't fall for the Hornady pushed hype.

Must have read this a couple dozen times online. Still never heard of this hype.

Looks like people talking about what 6.5 to 7mm bullets of 140 or so grains have always done, since the 6.5x54 MS. If 6.5mm bullets have stopped killing big game, thats absolutely news.

The passion with which people need to insist its "hyped" or "overhyped" is bizarre.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by LFC
Jordan,

But Llama Bob knows all!

Apparently he's had the opportunity to kill hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of big game animals, enough to test the virtues and faults of every big game bullet.

Unfortunately, he apparently can't figure out how to post photos on the internet as evidence of his vast experience.

You guys meeting at the OK Coral at high noon....

Pretty cocky for an Out'e door writer man.

LFC,

Well, gee. I happened to have killed hundreds of big game animals, and been next to family members and hunting partners who killed a bunch more. The total is now close to 1000, and I didn't just look at the exit hole (if there was one), or poke something into the entrance hole, to judge how they worked. Accomplished this while hunting in 14 different countries, often on culls. One in Africa lasted a month, and a total of 12 other guys took part, killing animals from pronghorn-size to eland and Cape buffalo weighing around 1500 pounds. That was the 3rd cull I went on in Africa, and since the other guys who went were mostly rifle loonies, a bunch of different bullets and cartridges were tested--including the Barnes TSX, which was pretty new then, and a bullet LB claims fails to open quite often. They were used in sizes from 140-grain .270 to 270-grain .375. One guy killed 24 animals with his .270 WSM and the 140, and gee, every one expanded--which I could tell by spending time in the skinning shack every evening to observe animals being taken apart. In fact none of the TSXs failed to expand.

But have also taken part in such hunts from New Zealand to Europe, as well as several U.S. states, probably 8-10 in Texas alone. Did this most frequently from around 2000 to 2010, when I spent close $100,000 on travel and hunting, in large part to find out how various bullets worked. This can be tested to a certain extent in various kinds of media, which I also have done considerably. But the best way to determine how big game bullets work is to shoot a lot of big game, then take them apart to find out exactly what happened.

Mule Deer,

The reactions I see you getting here sometimes really remind me of the ones I get sometimes when other actual experts comment.

Those who don't know better sometimes take it extremely personally and overcompensate, going to insults and trying to degrade with the "Oh, don't you just know everything" approach.

It says a lot about them.

Last edited by Igloo; 12/18/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Igloo,

Thanks!

By the way, I also never saw the early, massive publicity campaign that Hornady supposedly gave the 6.5 Creedmoor--and I'm in the business. Saw a few press releases, and an article or two in magazines, probably it was designed and introduced as a target round, not a hunting cartridge.

Finally started getting interested three years after it was introduced, in 2010, when a local gun store stocked a few Ruger Hawkeyes--hunting rifles in walnut stocks--and the word got out that they shot very well. Bought one and a few boxes of ammo, and mine did shoot very well, and eventually I wrote an article about it for HANDLOADER magazine, after hunting with it some.

At that time it still wasn't getting much publicity in the hunting sector, and in fact guys were warning others they might not want to buy one, because it might flop and brass would be hard to find. So as part of my article I described how to fire-form 6.5 Creedmoor cases from .22-250 brass, using the "Cream of Wheat" method.

Eventually word of mouth got around enough that so many magazines ran articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that there did appear to be a massive PR campaign--but from what I could see that occurred at least 5 years after the cartridge was introduced. At that point some magazine editors started refusing to run articles that even mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor because so many appeared in various places. One of those included the editor who bought my article in 2010. In fact I phoned him from the store, asking if he'd be interested, because otherwise I wasn't that interested in buying the rifle.

But Hornady certainly never asked me to wrote anything on the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I was well-acquainted with those folks--and was writing for far more magazines back then. I started "semi-retiring" a few years ago, dropping some magazines I'd been appearing in regularly for a long time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Personally experienced not that long ago an old time gun counter guy in a small town sporting good store get physically agitated, red faced, and hyperventilating over the fact I'd been wacking cow elk with a CM. It wasn't even his conversation, he just decided to interject his opinions into the conversation I was having with another hanging around the barrel of used stocks.

Thought I was gonna have to call the medics when I replied not only was I using the evil CM, but I was using cup-n-core bullets to boot.

The coup de gras was when I suggested that as the gun counter guy he needed to get out more... shocked

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's CDS, CBHS, sometimes both.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the local guys I know who started using the 6.5 CM is a big, burly young man, who'd been using the .300 RUM for a few years. Then his wife decided to start hunting, and he bought her a 6.5 Creedmoor, since obviously "girls" can't tolerate recoil. When he sighted it in (I was there) he liked both the accuracy (with factory ammo yet) and the lack of recoil. One thing led to another and....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own a 6.5 creedmor & with cheap factory loads & Zeiss phone app I’ve hit targets at 1100 yards so I’m fine with accuracy claims but it doesn’t out shoot either of my elk rifles a 7mm RM & 300 Weatherby that don’t wear target scopes.

Not being able to handle recoil is more common today than ever before. Younger hunters have laser rangefinders & better bullets so super flat shooting rifles aren’t really necessary. The difference is that less than perfect angles & distances are often part of elk hunting. If you have the discipline to pass the smaller cartridges are fine. I want to kill elk without waiting for the perfect shot so no 6.5CM for me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Igloo,

Thanks!

By the way, I also never saw the early, massive publicity campaign that Hornady supposedly gave the 6.5 Creedmoor--and I'm in the business. Saw a few press releases, and an article or two in magazines, probably it was designed and introduced as a target round, not a hunting cartridge.

Finally started getting interested three years after it was introduced, in 2010, when a local gun store stocked a few Ruger Hawkeyes--hunting rifles in walnut stocks--and the word got out that they shot very well. Bought one and a few boxes of ammo, and mine did shoot very well, and eventually I wrote an article about it for HANDLOADER magazine, after hunting with it some.

At that time it still wasn't getting much publicity in the hunting sector, and in fact guys were warning others they might not want to buy one, because it might flop and brass would be hard to find. So as part of my article I described how to fire-form 6.5 Creedmoor cases from .22-250 brass, using the "Cream of Wheat" method.

Eventually word of mouth got around enough that so many magazines ran articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that there did appear to be a massive PR campaign--but from what I could see that occurred at least 5 years after the cartridge was introduced. At that point some magazine editors started refusing to run articles that even mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor because so many appeared in various places. One of those included the editor who bought my article in 2010. In fact I phoned him from the store, asking if he'd be interested, because otherwise I wasn't that interested in buying the rifle.

But Hornady certainly never asked me to wrote anything on the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I was well-acquainted with those folks--and was writing for far more magazines back then. I started "semi-retiring" a few years ago, dropping some magazines I'd been appearing in regularly for a long time.

I remember when the .260 Remington came out. Few complained and belly-ached about that cartridge. But a ballistic twin comes out with a 1:8" twist rate and a little more room to seat long bullets, and its the most hated thing around. Some people just cannot accept technological changes.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

grin

Yep.

I was afflicted early on with this but it was bourne from my lack of study. Glad I put in the effort. Selling many magnums these days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Things I have learned from Llama Bob in the past few weeks:

All Barnes bullets typically fail to expand
Nosler Accubonds and Partions are tier 2 bullets
The 30-06 is an inferior hunting cartridge
The 6.5x55 is slightly less inferior than the 30-06
NULA rifles are a terrible design
Mule Deer is generally an idiot
Simulation and load to velocity is a better way of load development than using manuals

I can't wait for today's lesson.

🤣

i was enjoying reading this thread, until i came across your post and blew coffee outta my nose!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I laughed out loud at this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I remember when the .260 Remington came out. Few complained and belly-ached about that cartridge. But a ballistic twin comes out with a 1:8" twist rate and a little more room to seat long bullets, and its the most hated thing around. Some people just cannot accept technological changes.

One must remember however, that when the 260 came out there was not the same amount of internet "experts "out there!
The Creedmoor itself has always had a pretty good following with the crowd that uses it in the competitive discipline it was designed for, , but I am a bit surprised that it has taken off the way it did.
I have a friend who flattened a nice bull moose up north here a few weeks back at 212 yards, using ELDX bullets, 143's I think.
We see a lot of them at our range now, possibly more than the 308 even.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/19/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm inclined to believe that some people resent (subconsciously maybe) the "easy button" nature of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm inclined to believe that some people resent (subconsciously maybe) the "easy button" nature of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Possibly, yes.
I found it easy to load for in my match rifle, and factory ammo is very readily available in our stores up here.
There seem to be a large number of shooters at our club shooting factory CM ammo, expounding on how much better it shoots at long range than other cartridges. Many of these same people have never shot past 400 yards however, and have rarely shot many of the "other" cartridges they talk about! LOL
But one cannot refute that it is easy on the shoulder and easy to load for as well.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd say there's a lot to like about easy accuracy and low recoil, especially when it comes with good performance. That's one of the reasons I like the 6.5 CM. So far I've only used it on medium game like deer and antelope, but I have no doubt it would be effective on elk when used with good bullets. However, at this point I see no reason to abandon my .30-06 for use on larger game.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If your 30-06 is working well for you there is no reason to quit using it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
130 grain accubond from the swede worked well on a mature cow moose a couple years ago

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,268
Posts18,525,415
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.