Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I had PRK in 2016. Hated glasses, doctor made it sound like it was very simple and virtually painless and I’d be back to normal in days. Total BS. The first week sucked, couldn’t see anything clearly, lots of pain. First month I was functional and could see better but not perfect. Lots of fluctuation, some days good some bad. Sometimes one wye but not the other which sucked. Lots of dry eye the first year, eye lid sticking to my eye when waking up etc… anything gets in your eye is extremely painful.
Took a solid year to get to the point that I’d say I’d do it again.
To this day, still sensitive to touch. Also gas issues with clogged oil ducts on my eyelid and getting little styles on my eyelid that I’d have to have lanced (3 times?). First year driving at night sucked. Light trails bad on head and tail lights, hard to follow traffic because of the red lights.

These days, very few issues and extremely happy I went through the hell I did. But go into it eyes wide open about what you’re going to go through. Doctors sugar coat it because it’s damn good $$ for them.

That’s not lasik though.

I had lasik 20 years ago. Went from 20/400 to 20/10 in the blink of an eye. Super easy and painless. Can only imagine they’ve gotten better

You asked about Lasik, PRK was also mentioned, while the procedure isn't the same, they both do correct vision problems. There is info on the internet about PRK studies in the military. If you google about those you will see......"In general, PRK is acceptable, but LASIK is considered disqualifying for active duty in any Special Forces (air, sea or land) capacity, and for naval aviators. LASIK is not disqualifying for general duty positions."

I'm not advocating one over the other, cost seems similar, but I do recommend talking with your optometrist about both. A reputable eye surgeon should make an honest recommendation based on your eyes, age and what you are the better candidate for.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ex-wife had it done in 2005. She went from 20/540 to 20/15 two days later when they did the follow up. I'm sure it's only gotten better in the 16 years since. The only caution I'd make is this isn't the place to be cheap, stay away from the $399 doctors and do your research. Find the doctor with the best reputation that's within an acceptable distance. In our case I took her to Birmingham which is 150 miles away and it cost around $5000. It was the best eye doc in the southeast and well worth the price.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had mine over 30 years ago, both eyes. Got rid of my bifocals, and my astigmatism .
My employer's self funded Med. Insur. had a huge surplus and they offered Lasik free to anyone who wanted it.
30 years later the only thing I need now are some over the counter reading glasses.
Best money my employer ever spent !!

"The older I get, the better I was"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Ex-wife had it done in 2005. She went from 20/540 to 20/15 two days later when they did the follow up. I'm sure it's only gotten better in the 16 years since. The only caution I'd make is this isn't the place to be cheap, stay away from the $399 doctors and do your research. Find the doctor with the best reputation that's within an acceptable distance. In our case I took her to Birmingham which is 150 miles away and it cost around $5000. It was the best eye doc in the southeast and well worth the price.

+1. it's your vision. Definitely do your research.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had it done in 2000. It was the best thing I ever did. I just had PRK last year. Technology is just amazing!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had it done in January 2000. I was 20/200 and in minutes I was 20/20. I'm needing glasses now because of my age and the prescription in my eyes have changed but I only wear glasses when I read or work up close.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear they won't do Lasik if you 60 yrs old or older? Supposedly they rec lens replacement or something like that. I just turned 61 and have never worn glasses except readers and am interested myself.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Docs don't want to do lasik on you and then just turn around and replace your lens for a cataract. I've done both and they tell me it is harder to get your lens replacement done as well when the eye has already had lasik. The lens replacement corrects your vision, itself, so bypasses the need for lasik.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had PRK done in June. The vision clearing up has been gradual rather than instantaneous like Lasik. It didn't get me to 20/20 so I go back in 2 weeks. It was rather uncomfortable for about a week.

Fogging up my glasses because of wearing a Covid mask is what finally pushed me over the edge to get it done.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had it done in 2000. Was $5000 both eyes. Money well spent. Took a couple weeks to settle in.
After a few follow ups, I haven't been to an eye doctor since.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bookmarked

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nearsighted in seventh grade, glasses for two years, contacts/glasses for 30.

When the Dr says close your eye slow, close it slow. Like a sloth. sALOOOOOOWWWWW.

No regrets.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had it done about 4 years ago. Recently went to an eye doctor and my vision has actually improved in the last year or so from when the surgery was done. I have a mild halo left from lights at night but nothing I ever notice. Slight astigmatism in one eye, not enough to be correctable. I do use reading glasses more and more. But that been in the last 6 months. And is more age related. Initially my right eye didn’t correct as well. Which was how it was with glasses as well. However in the last year or so my right eye is now my best eye. Helps for shooting!

Yeah I would do it again

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Find out if you have even a hint of cataracts. If you do, hold off until they get bad enough to fix. Cataract surgery is better and more permanent than Lasik plus insurance will cover it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn’t read all the pages in the thread. I know little about it other than ex wife had it. She could see long distance really good which se couldn’t before but still had to were readers which the dr said would be the case.

Rumors I’ve heard about LASIK. Very few eye doctors get it, long terms you are worse off which I have no idea if right or wrong. Also heard rumors about shooting sports and LASIK don’t mix, if you shoot a lot don’t get it. Never could figure that one out either.

Someone chime in and comment.

Thanks Billy

Thanks, Billy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had cataracts and glaucoma with very high pressure in both eyes…. Had it all corrected last year including paying the extra tariff for the lenses that serve dual purpose… Both for reading and distance. Pressure now in both eyes is about 12 and my vision was corrected to about 2025. Best money I ever spent.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never heard the rumor about Lasik and shooting. I had mine done 30 years ago and have shot trap before and after, after being much better as I don't have to wear prescription shooting glasses.
I shoot between 6 & 7K rounds each year, never a problem.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I assume that any supposed problems with shooting would be from the recoil. I've never heard of any problems with it, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Has anyone here with an astigmatism had lasiks? I have 20/60 vision and an astigmatism that makes red dot sights unfun and night driving on wet roads a challenge. For those of you that had an astigmatism was there a significant improvement after lasiks?

I had astigmatism in both eyes but they said I was still a good candidate. The correction took me to 20/15 which is one line better than 20/20 and 15 years later it still is perfect.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
Also heard rumors about shooting sports and LASIK don’t mix, if you shoot a lot don’t get it. Never could figure that one out either.

They do actually have to cut a flap on the eyeball but it heals very quickly. Don't go out the same week you got Lasik and decide it's time to shoot those 40 rounds of .375 you've been saving and all should be well.

The military thought that incision could create problems in low pressure situations that aircrew face and for years stuck with the stone age PRK, which has a much longer healing period as well as potential side affects. After 30 years of data they finally realized the incision caused no problems and finally went to Lasik.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 54 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.