Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is a treasure I dug up while visiting Berit. Finn was writing a book, not sure which one, but apparently didn't like what the editor had done. Seems Finn took a real offense to printing something not exactly true with his name attached. Some folks would just go along, but it seems Finn was a man of his word. I am unsure who this was sent to, or the project this letter was involved in. I hope ya'll will enjoy.
Charlie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CharlieSisk; 12/28/21.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool, Charlie.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finn sure expressed his disappointment & frustration eloquently. Thank you for sharing, Charlie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had previously noticed that a couple of those examples seemed a little screwy; it is good to know why.

Aagaard is my favorite gun/hunting writer of all time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great letter Finn always said what he thought and believed so no doubt in my mind why he was irritated at a know nothing editor screwing with his work. Seems to me as I recall Ken Howell liked to stick his 2 cents worth in every article in Rifle and Handloader bet that didn't make any article authors happy either....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That is awesome. I can understand his consternation with the editor. He knew his PH friends and those that had “been there” would be his worst critics and didn’t want to be embarrassed by words he didn’t write. Classic Aagaard. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never understood how an editor can "know" what a writer intends to say.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shows that Finn was an honorable man.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charle;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you and yours are keeping well, warm and dry and had a good Christmas.

Thanks so much for sharing that with us, I very much enjoyed reading it. It confirmed my opinion of him for sure.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Shows that Finn was an honorable man.

It sure does. It's a good lesson for everyone. Not just writers and editors. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very disappointed to learn that Aagaard's Africa was so altered from Finn's original wording, as I have just received a copy of that book. Now I will wonder if the events in the book happened as described. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to reading it.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There Ya Go,

I just checked my copy of AAGAARD'S AFRICA, inscribed to me by both Finn and Berit, with nice notes--though she signed it after Finn passed away, as I recall at a SHOT or SCI show. (Finn and I had swapped hunting books, probably my LIFE OF THE HUNT, which appeared about the same time.) Anyway, evidently Finn didn't see the book until it was already printed, as all the mistakes and ham-handed "editing" are in it.

This procedure is highly unusual. The normal deal is for the author to get to look over the edited manuscript and make addition changes or corrections before the book gets printed. Back when I was still writing books for other publishers, I always got to do this--except on one occasion, when the company publishing SHOTGUNS FOR WINGSHOOTING thought it needed to be on bookstore shelves by the end of summer in order to sell well. They'd already made a deal with Barnes and Noble, so I never got to see the edited copy, which did result in a few mistakes by the editor, though nothing like Finn's book.

Have encountered a few magazine editors who somehow feel qualified to rewrite manuscripts about stuff they know little or nothing about, but they worked for lower-paying magazines, so it wasn't difficult to simply not write for them again....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not a writer of any sort, but the kind of stuff that was done to Finn with this book would seem way out of line, even to me. I am impressed that Finn was able to be as measured in his response as he was. I think I'd have been a LOT more angry than he let on. But then I'm a redhead, so...

Hopefully the book still overall communicates in typical Finn fashion his experiences in Africa.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's definitely worth a read!

And so is the follow-up book, published by Safari Press (which did not publish the first one) AAGARD'S AFRICAN ADVENTURES, which contains both AAGARD'S AFRICA and an equally long section by Berit, from her perspective.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

And so is the follow-up book, published by Safari Press (which did not publish the first one) AAGARD'S AFRICAN ADVENTURES, which contains both AAGARD'S AFRICA and an equally long section by Berit, from her perspective.

Would be interesting to know, based on the letter Charlie found, whether AAGARD'S AFRICAN ADVENTURES has Finn's original manuscript that he prepared for AAGARD'S AFRICA.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Great, now I'm really disappointed. Should have done a bit more research before buying AA; now I can't get Berit's recollections without doubling up on Finn's! And that's too bad, because one of my favorite pieces in Selected Works is "Liver and Onions" where Berit's account of a late season deer hunt is interspersed with commentary by Finn.

Edit to add: Just checked on AAA; yikes! Too rich for my blood. Maybe I need to learn to enjoy digital books. Hope something works out for you with regards to a compilation of Finn's letters; can't think of anyone better qualified to take on such a project.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 12/29/21.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for posting.Very interesting that the editor would have the gall to change Finn`s written word.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Thanks for posting this. One of the more interesting things I've read lately.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Isn't Phil Shoemaker still working on a book? Hope this doesn't happen to him when he gets it done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately, editors like that are all too common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.