-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Less than $200 IIRC. The complete rifle was $265!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Can someone describe that safety?

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

Thanks. Sounds funky.

If you’re intrigued by the TCR83 Aristocrat, with its double set trigger and its shotgun-like take-down and handling qualities, don’t let the cockamamie safety put you off.
A couple observations about that TCR safety: It can be pretty quickly disengaged by pushing the safety with the thumb as the index finger releases the locking button. But, if that seems too much bother, the un-set trigger pull weight is about 6 pounds, more than the trigger pull weight of a full sized Glock which essentially has no safety (‘cause the blade in a Glock trigger sure don’t keep it from being pulled).

Every day’s an adventure.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Can someone describe that safety?

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

I had one once upon a time. It fit me poorly, and I couldn't get past the safety having a safety.

Bruce

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by ccd
I know sales reps and engineers for some of the gun companies at least visit this website. With the current infatuation with ultra lightweight rifles in the US market, I would love an American made jaeger block single shot rifle in the $2-2.5k price range.

Seems desirable but unlikely. I wonder, given the amazing number of custom rifle smiths we have today, if instead a company offered in the white actions single shot actions of a couple sizes and some barrel options that might allow a base of say $1K with the gunsmith of your choice finishing it for another $1-1.5K ?

Ruger used to offer #1 actions but I have no idea what they cost at the time.

Years ago, Falling Block Works did just that. The actions looked a lot like Winchester Hi-Walls, but they were different internally, if I recall correctly. I don't know how many they actually sold, but I've seen only a handful of rifles built on them in nearly 40 years of gun buying.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Didn't Mossberg make a single shot rifle back in the 1990's that you could get extra barrels for? I don't remember what they were called or how good they were. Anyone remember?

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Didn't Mossberg make a single shot rifle back in the 1990's that you could get extra barrels for? I don't remember what they were called or how good they were. Anyone remember?

Yes, they have the SSi. I have one in .223. It's a nice enough rifle but mine has a 7# trigger. I would like it lightened but I'm having difficulties locating anyone who wants to work on it and It's beyond my capabilities. It is a break open design that uses an under the receiver lever to break it open. It is also capable of switching barrels. I have not bought any additional barrels. Mine has been modified to .223 AI.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...mageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would love it to but have given up on new options and forging ahead with a stainless G2 contender in custom wood. .22 LR-.375 JDJ should cover all that I need doing as I’m not likely to go chasing big angry critters anytime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like a # 1 manufactured in 22 LR. Seems there was a false rumor of such about 4 years ago that had me really wound up.

1Minute
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd like a # 1 manufactured in 22 LR. Seems there was a false rumor of such about 4 years ago that had me really wound up.

And about 2/3 size. For rimfire and smaller than .473+- head size cartridges.

Bruce

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know it's single shot area but still...

I'd like to see a SxS - scaled to appropriate gauge.

I know there's maybe 1200 people total looking for a new one these days but still...

Would be neat.

Me

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would like to see the resurrection of the TCR Aristocrat, but with a better, easier to use safety. In a caliber like the 260 Remington, it would be an absolute joy to carry & shoot.

EDIT: Sorry guys. I didn't realize almost this entire thread was discussing the T/C 83. I have one with several barrels and with the right caliber, it's a great, fun gun to carry.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 12/26/21.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think you struck upon why it doesn't happen - the lack of buyers to make such stuff financially viable. We who cherish stuff like old-fashioned single shots are a small minority.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I would like to see the resurrection of the TCR Aristocrat, but with a better, easier to use safety. In a caliber like the 260 Remington, it would be an absolute joy to carry & shoot.

Yessir, I think I would belly up to the bar and drink some of that. Or not, because I have mucho plenty hunting rifles at a time in my life when hunting is becoming less attractive to me (physical limitations + age will do that), and my interests are shifting toward target rifles I can have fun with while sitting on my butt. A TCR-like kiplauf would fill the bill admirably for the former, not perfectly for the latter. But still.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm glad to hear someone else thinks the way I do. I'm not nearly as mad at the local deer populations as I am the coyotes, armadillos, skunks, pigs and steel plates. I didn't shoot a deer this fall because I just didn't want to deal with the cleaning. I do enjoy shooting and will do more as time goes on.
I have a TCR Aristocrat and some small caliber barrels. The rifle is a joy to carry and shooting 22 Hornet, 222 Remington and the 22-250 is enjoyable although I'm not going to win any matches with them.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Found .243 win #1 RSI a bit blasty.
Wonder howd they look if they did them w 22" ?
One in 260 rem would be pretty sweet.

The orig 20" would be better for lower pressure stuff IMHO

Dont mind a break open pistol but dislike them in rifle.
So even w safety change, no to the TCR.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/28/21.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio

I have 3 SSi-One actions and 6 barrels. They are all shooters except I still have a 12 ga slug barrel NIB. Triggers are heavy, as is the gun itself. It is substantial but well made. I have one set up as a slug gun and it shoots Copper Solids into 2” groups at 100 yards.

One is set up as a 30-06 and another is a 223 varmint barrel. At a quick glance the resemble a No.1. Barrel selection was limited to about 8 chamberings, the slug setup, and a turkey barrel.

I’m actually trimming down and planning to sell everything except my slug setup.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, a Kendrick Texas Contender in 221, and Contender carbines in 22 lr, 223, and 45-70. All were a joy to carry in the field and shot at least reasonably well. They're all gone. As I get older I find myself shooting more at the range than hunting these days. Break action rifles don't lend themselves to shooting from a rest at the bench. I still really enjoy single shot rifles, but am gravitating to falling blocks like Ruger No 1s, Dakota 10s, and single shot bolts like the Cooper 21. I hear some folks who say they can't get good accuracy from No 1s, but I have three that shoot extremely well; a No 1 B in 22 Hornet, a No 1 A in 30-06, and a 45-70. The 257 Roberts Dakota 10 is light, fits me perfectly and points like a fine shotgun. The Cooper is in 204 Ruger and is the most accurate gun I've ever owned.

I've never handled or shot a Blazer. They have a great reputation for reliability and accuracy, but not having the political gun limitations of most European countries, I'm done with switch barrel guns. My next single shot will likely be a High Wall.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What about the 1885 - they seem like a pretty good option give the lack of options in the American market. I’ve handled a few and like them - am working on an old low-wall in .22 LR and friend had a little .22 hornet that shot really well. Might just have to find one in .260 to try out?!

PennDog

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm glad to hear someone else thinks the way I do. I'm not nearly as mad at the local deer populations as I am the coyotes, armadillos, skunks, pigs and steel plates. I didn't shoot a deer this fall because I just didn't want to deal with the cleaning. I do enjoy shooting and will do more as time goes on.
I have a TCR Aristocrat and some small caliber barrels. The rifle is a joy to carry and shooting 22 Hornet, 222 Remington and the 22-250 is enjoyable although I'm not going to win any matches with them.

You need a grandson who loves to gut deer....mine enjoys it.....thankfully.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I would have bought a Luxus arms rifle. I was close many times

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.