-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn’t own a home until quite late in life, now I’m in a position to pay it off.

House paid off, what documents should I expect?

Does the lender send me the title?

Tks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should get a release of lien and an original warranty deed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
No, you already have the title and it is called a DEED. The bank, if the purchase was financed, will provide evidence of satisfaction of the Note, and will file a release of the Mortgage in the Registry of Deeds for the county in which you live. I'd then notify the local taxing municipality and your insurance provider as well. Some variation from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but that is the general idea.

Last edited by bluefish; 01/03/22.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liens should be public record and you can look at the court house, to make sure the lien has been released. At least that is how it works here. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A lot of loan ads, I bet!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's it, frame that fugger, you're a free man Birdie!!!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Make sure you go to your county recorder and verify release of lein and that the property is titled the way you wish. With the payoff funds you should you should specify how you want the title to read ie. You, joint with wife, trust, llc, etc. There may also be pro rated settlement amount for annual property tax and insurance depending on how it is set up. I paid off a mortgage once and the lender failed to update the county. Took about two months to get it staighted out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hope to pay mine off this year. Barring no major setbacks I should be able to.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Make sure you go to your county recorder and verify release of lein and that the property is titled the way you wish. With the payoff funds you should you should specify how you want the title to read ie. You, joint with wife, trust, llc, etc. There may also be pro rated settlement amount for annual property tax and insurance depending on how it is set up. I paid off a mortgage once and the lender failed to update the county. Took about two months to get it staighted out.

Hah! If it gets done quicker than 2 mos here in south FL, it's a miracle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The mortgage holder will send you a letter of "Satisfaction" on the loan yet the mortgage holder almost never releases the lien at your local courthouse. You can do this yourself after presenting the letter of satisfaction to your county recorder. BY all means don't lose the letter of satisfaction.....as shi* happens.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have an escrow account at the bank set up to pay for insurance and taxes make sure you close that out and are refunded any moneys you have in that account.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great variation from state to state as to the paperwork involved. Generally, if you got a title insurance policy when you bought the house, that policy remains in effect for your benefit after the house is paid off. You should be able to take the release of lien papers to the title company. The title company will, for a fee, get the release properly recorded in the proper county records and add a rider to the policy showing that you own the house free and clear.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Lansend

Great variation from state to state as to the paperwork involved. Generally, if you got a title insurance policy when you bought the house, that policy remains in effect for your benefit after the house is paid off. You should be able to take the release of lien papers to the title company. The title company will, for a fee, get the release properly recorded in the proper county records and add a rider to the policy showing that you own the house free and clear.

When I paid off the above referenced mortgage it was 6 months later I discovered the lien had not been released/recorded at the county. I had title insurance and going back to them they did that at no cost to me. That process took 2 months.

Last edited by MtnHiker; 01/03/22.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I got nothing when I paid mine off. After a few months I went to the Clerks office and got a copy of the lien release. Put in the lock box with my abstract copy. Called my insurer when I paid out and let them know mortgage was paid.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Release of lien

Go down to the Registrar’s Office

get it notarized by them and frame it.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I'm sure its different down there than up here, but we didn't get anything. I was a little disappointed to be honest, was hoping for a cool looking document or something. All we got was our last statement from the mortgage holding bank saying the loan was paid.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Well, it’s a milestone that’s for sure.

Tks to all for the info on here, I was able to find the county documents online, I didn’t realize how public this info really is.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Free at last, free at last, good gawd almighty, free at last. Yee Haw, Yee haw, Yee fuuuking haw!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.