Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Upon finding the most accurate load (whichever that parameter is for you) and once a load is found using a certain rest - will that "sweet" load hold upon changing rests?

I realize POI may differ. But will the load differ much? Hunting loads developed using sand or bipod, vs backpack or sticks in the field.
Thinking about 7mm RM, heavish barrel.
Load developed with suppressor and bipod. Suppressor took strike, and will go back. I'm going to try the loads again, without suppressor and sandbags, then in "field conditions" and but was wondering how "off" it may be

Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn’t the suppressor hanging on the end of the tube change harmonics of the tube?

Swifty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That would be heavy. I have a suppressor on a 16” barrel, it’s awkward

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try and do my load work up just like I am going to hunt. In other words, if I am going to hunt with a plain barrel (no muzzle device) that is how I work up my loads. I do not own a suppressor but if I did and planned on hunting with it, I would work up my loads with it on the barrel.
As far as changing POI changing rest, I have not seen this if the barrel is free floated and the new rest does not force or allow the stock and barrel to touch when the round is fired.

Last edited by pullit; 01/03/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm curious what brand and type of suppressor and the mounting system.

If you are having bullet strikes, something is not square. Either poor threading job, or something else.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I'm curious what brand and type of suppressor and the mounting system.

If you are having bullet strikes, something is not square. Either poor threading job, or something else.

Suppressor is a 30cal SiCO Harvester (already got order for sending back to them)

Barrel is an aftermarket X-Caliber 1:9" twist. Not sure what caused it, but was clustering shots together and then one thrown off about 4ft right, and noticed what appeared to be damaged baffles. Same suppressor clustered 243win shots.

To comments on harmonics and suppressor, yes, I would expect changes, and when worked load with suppressor was when planning on hunting with it.
After strike, will rework loads. Barrel is stiff and POI didn't change much with/without, but didn't try for accuracy changes at 400yds and different rest.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the gun is sighted in I figure its sighted in no matter what rest you use if you do your part...as far as suppressor on or off I couldn't say I've never owned one..

I hunt with a clean barrel and I want to know how the gun is going to shoot out of a clean barrel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I sight in a load at the range, the rifle has a bipod on it...

When hunting, I am still getting Minute of Game at a couple 100 yds or more... regardless of what temporary rest I might be using...
be it a tree to learn against, or over a log.. or over the hood of my truck...

Doing the same on water bottle sized sage rats, I'm pretty consistently hitting them out to 250 to 300 yds...

so I don't see a big difference, If that answers your question Doc.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pullit
I try and do my load work up just like I am going to hunt. In other words, if I am going to hunt with a plain barrel (no muzzle device) that is how I work up my loads. I do not own a suppressor but if I did and planned on hunting with it, I would work up my loads with it on the barrel.
As far as changing POI changing rest, I have not seen this if the barrel is free floated and the new rest does not force or allow the stock and barrel to touch when the round is fired.

This^^^^^ There have been some here claim they see a "1/2" difference" in poi shift at 100 yards, when switching from a sandbag to bi-pod in field positions. I find that laughable. For one thing, seeing a 1/2" difference in POI? Get real, and for another, you shouldn't be getting any poi shift if you are using a solid rest. Meaning the rifle should be capable of the same precision/accuracy, regardless of what rest you are using. It all boils down to having adequate freefloat and proper glass bedding: If you switch to a bi-pod (per se) and you see a shift in POI, that means the bi-pod is putting pressure on the barrel and your rifle obviously isn't adequately freefloated. Furthermore, when a rifle is not properly glass bedded, that action is skating around in that stock and causing issues. Its funny how many guys chose to not set up their rifles properly, and then blame it on the load or rest being the culprit for any inaccuracy or other issues they may have.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Bergara Wilderness this past summer that came with a muzzle brake. I shot a few rounds with it screwed on then started developing loads with it removed. Once I nailed down a good load I tested the same loads with the brake screwed back on. Not only did my POI change my ¾" 100 groups opened up to almost 1½". Your suppressor will only further exaggerate the shifts in POI / accuracy unless you build your loads with the suppressor installed. Your bipod / sandbags have minimal consequence on your loads so long as rest you choose is stable.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any change that allows the rifle to recoil differently can easily cause a point of impact shift and most likely will.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 16penny, 405winash, 35, 13 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,648
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.