Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by hikerbum
it is a bit funny that for 50 years there were not stories ( or very few) of these trigger issues to a couple people filed a law suit.

It was hundreds of lawsuits and 10s of people who died. Remington was aware of the issue for years, but kept it quiet. The only difference now is that it's not quiet any more. The rifles were faulty from day 1 and remain so.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
New Triggertech was just delivered to my porch. Thanks for all of your advice and I hope my story helps others do the right thing.

I honestly never knew it was a problem waiting to happen. I vaguely knew of the lawsuits, etc, but I thought it was overblown, anti 2A, media hype. I also assumed that most problems were caused by operator error or at-home gunsmithing......

Thankful that no one was hurt.

Originally Posted by RickinTN
‘Ya know, if the rifle is pointed in a safe direction, as it always should be, the is no danger of injury to anyone.
True, and it was and always is......but it's just not a chance I'll take again.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I posted earlier about 3-position safety's. I don't know all the mechanics behind them, but is there a reason they're not more popular, or the standard for that matter?

It just seems that for a hunting rifle, locking the bolt is a nice feature and then allowing the bolt to cycle, but the trigger not be active is another nice feature. Kind of makes me wonder why it's not the norm for all new gun designs. On a military rifle, I might understand the 2- position safety for simplicity, but for a hunting rifle, a 3-position seems like a much better design.

In today's litigious society, it seems like a 3-position would have become the norm. Maybe with the Savage and Ruger RAR, the blade on the trigger serves the same purpose and adds another level of safety?

Last edited by gsganzer; 01/05/22.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington shoulder lower the price on their schitty guns by $150, because you need to buy a trigger for them too.

Had same thing happen with X-mark, scared the crap out of me. Remington just shrugged and told me to send it in. I just bought a Timney instead.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Remington has stunk for many years!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I put one of these in my Rem700.. I love this trigger......... https://triggertech.ca/collections/bolt-action $$ but worth it... Here is one for the mod 7 .. https://triggertech.ca/collections/bolt-action/products/rem-model-7

Last edited by Cigar; 01/05/22.

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've had it happen twice, once on a new unmolested rifle when disengaging the safety, and a second time closing the bolt on a smith-lightened trigger. Only have Triggertechs now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
2 men that I have worked with had their 700s fire flipping the safety off. Both triggers had been adjusted by someone that didn't know what they were doing. I have one I adjusted following instructions years ago. I can take the safety off and pound the butt with a rubber mallet and it won't fire.

Mine was the same way Hogwild. Beautifully done BUT....will hand my 6mm down to my son one day and just felt better putting in a Trigger Tech. The one thing about it, and I am the only one who seems to have mentioned, or perhaps encountered this, is that the safety on-off is very light. Not much of a positive feeling click to it. That and I had to take out a tiny bit of wood in the stock to get it to fit right. No real skill involved.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
2 men that I have worked with had their 700s fire flipping the safety off. Both triggers had been adjusted by someone that didn't know what they were doing. I have one I adjusted following instructions years ago. I can take the safety off and pound the butt with a rubber mallet and it won't fire.

Mine was the same way Hogwild. Beautifully done BUT....will hand my 6mm down to my son one day and just felt better putting in a Trigger Tech. The one thing about it, and I am the only one who seems to have mentioned, or perhaps encountered this, is that the safety on-off is very light. Not much of a positive feeling click to it. That and I had to take out a tiny bit of wood in the stock to get it to fit right. No real skill involved.

I don’t care for the feel of the safety on the triggertech either. My singular complaint about them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Safety = Model 70 , Ruger MKII . Mauser 98. Style . Real safeties as in they block the firing pin and the trigger becomes irrelevant.
A”safety” that blocks the trigger from being pulled instead of blocking the firing pin from moving ain’t much of a safety.

And yes, the only Remington rifle I own has snapped on an empty chamber. Sportsman 78 in .243.
I’m looking for a stainless/synthetic rifle to replace the Montana I sold. Any Remington is not even a consideration.
OP glad no one was hurt or killed.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
. will hand my 6mm down to my son one day and just felt better putting in a Trigger Tech

Yeah I think this is where I’m at too. No idea who adjusted the thing so no way of knowing their competency. Oldest son will likely get to start using the rifle next year. Even if it is safe, I’m not sure I like it for a kids first rifle. The way it was adjusted, it doesn’t really move at all. The gun just fires when enough (and not very much) pressure is applied, with no other feedback from the trigger. I think I’d rather have it a little heavier and with some discernible travel for this rifle so replacement makes sense from all angles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ccard257
. will hand my 6mm down to my son one day and just felt better putting in a Trigger Tech

Yeah I think this is where I’m at too. No idea who adjusted the thing so no way of knowing their competency. Oldest son will likely get to start using the rifle next year. Even if it is safe, I’m not sure I like it for a kids first rifle. The way it was adjusted, it doesn’t really move at all. The gun just fires when enough (and not very much) pressure is applied, with no other feedback from the trigger. I think I’d rather have it a little heavier and with some discernible travel for this rifle so replacement makes sense from all angles.

Yeah maybe I am buying in to hype but not all are making up stories about misfires. Mine was solid and perfect and passed the butt tests I gave it but. - a little caution makes me sleep better. I didn't have to settle for a lesser feeling trigger pull so...

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ccard257

Yeah maybe I am buying in to hype but not all are making up stories about misfires. Mine was solid and perfect and passed the butt tests I gave it but. - a little caution makes me sleep better. I didn't have to settle for a lesser feeling trigger pull so...

. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Another misadjusted or dirty trigger, and Mike Walker gets the blame……..sigh.

The great thing about the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent.

The downfall of the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent……..

Mike Walker himself quite publicly said it was defective. Remington agrees. They also agree the X Mark Pro is faulty. Were Mike and Remington wrong?

I remember one X-Mark Pro recall because they said too much bonding agent was used in assembling them or some such, but that was nearly 10 years ago. 8 maybe?

Have there been other recalls or unsafe situations since? Not that big a fan of the X-Mark to begin with anyway.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Did Walker say it was defective.... or that it could be made safer?

Aint the same thing.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How can you identify a Walker trigger in a Rem 700 or Model 7?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JUst pulled this up for you. If trigger is prior to 2007- likely a Walker.
To determine if your Remington 700 has the Walker firing mechanism or the X-Mark Pro, look at the trigger itself. If the trigger has grooves, it is a Walker. If it is smooth, it is an X-Mark Pro.

. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Tinmey in my Model 7, no problems. The combination of a factory trigger, then ‘lightened’ may of been to much.

The standard test is, apply trigger pressure with the safety on, then take safety off & tap the butt of the gun in the floor. This is an unloaded gun of course.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No substitute for safe gun handling no matter what kind of trigger you have. If your adjusting your engagement to assist in a lighter pull you are the unsafe factor. Any trigger needs to be kept clean and maintained as required. Way I see it ...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,819
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.