Campfire Oracle
B
,...studded tires on the pick up.

Let 'er snow.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
LOL! They still make studded tires? You got the chains on too?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hell, I ain't unhitched the shredder off of mine yet.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I used to work with this rather odd fellow. He’d bought two extra wheels for his truck and had studded tires put on them. Every year, on the same day, he’d swap these out for the rear wheels/tires on the back. He’d drive it until a certain date in the following spring, then swap them back. Most years it never even snowed here.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I used to work with this rather odd fellow. He’d bought two extra wheels for his truck and had studded tires put on them. Every year, on the same day, he’d swap these out for the rear wheels/tires on the back. He’d drive it until a certain date in the following spring, then swap them back. Most years it never even snowed here.

We’d be sunk without studded snows here. Of course some use and like Blizzaks and other softer, siped, winter tires.

I have two sets of four, all on rims, for each vehicle. Some people go twice per year to the tire shop for the seasonal swap.

But, studs don’t help any in snow.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,...studded tires on the pick up.

Let 'er snow.

A tractor with tire chains a blade and heated cab would have stayed busy on I-95 the other day!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Studs are illegal in the southern part of the province. Used to be illegal all over, but the north gets to -45 and salt doesn’t work after -15, so the roads get pretty slick. I guess they changed the law about 4 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

We’d be sunk without studded snows here. Of course some use and like Blizzaks and other softer, siped, winter tires.

I have two sets of four, all on rims, for each vehicle. Some people go twice per year to the tire shop for the seasonal swap.

Well duh, wintah taars and summah taars., everone knoes that. Sheesh.

January thaw here after the morning temp 3 days ago:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Monday the creek looked like this:

Yesterday this was the creek, after the thaw and the windstorm that blew one of my barrels into it. Good thing it hasn't gotten going good yet, or my downstream neighbors would be the proud owners of a new rainbarrel:

Last edited by Valsdad; 01/05/22.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to work in a tire shop many years ago. We sold studded tires. We sold extra wheels. If you bought both from us we would keep you summer tires in the back and we would put on your winter tires. Come spring we would swap them back out. We had some loyal customers.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Standard issue Fairbanks winter road:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
LOL! They still make studded tires? You got the chains on too?

I bought them off the internet.

My Dad made me a believer in studded tires back when I was a wee lad. We only had one vehicle when I was a kid. At the time it was a short bed, step side 2WD '56 GMC pick up. When we'd get a good snow he'd put studded tires on the back and stack the bed full of concrete blocks. It would crawl right through the snow.

More recently I had an '86 Toyota long bed 1 ton pick up. I was casting a lot of bullets back then, so when it would snow I'd put five 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights in the bed and strap them in place,..run studded tires on the back. We got a pretty big snow back then. A work buddy had a Nissan 4WD that he couldn't get out of the parking lot of the apartments where he lived. I hauled him to work in that 2WD Toyota pick up for a couple of days until the snow got cleared away.

Studded tires along with some ballast in the bed of a 2WD pick up is a very effective snow vehicle. I'm using a collection of 60 pound bags of sand in the bed of my trusty old F-150 for ballast these days.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This is what I'm using.

Nokian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't know where that was,
But most places that allow studs have a window.
Like November 15 to April 15. Outside th at window you get a ticket.

I'd bet some of our young cops wouldn't know what that noise was if
they heard studs on April 16. The weather isn't as bad, and the state
does a much better job these days. Couple that with front wheel drive and
all the 4 wheel traction methods, few run studs.

Quietly laugh at people ditching a good car to get "4-wheel drive".
Phuggers never even drive in the yard. But they "need" it for bad roads.
A set of studs is much cheaper, and better if the roads are really slick.
Get 4 and have a chance of stopping too!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yep, I have the four extra wheels/studded tires for our Tacoma. Ice covered roads are more frequent than snow around here,but they also help on snow packed roads after it really gets hard. We have good snow ties on it,but I have yet to put a set of chains on it with150 K miles.Deep snow, I take the big truck. Real deep snow I stay home.They won't plow the county road out front for 2 days,so nobody is going anywhere anyway

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got a set of studded General snow tires on 18” Ram 2500/3500 chrome steel wheels. Had all four on coming north out of Boise a couple years ago, to Missoula via 2. Snowing from White Bird on, we never slipped a tire, got over Lolo Pass and into Missoula no trouble at all. Sold the truck, fixing to see if those will work on the 2001 3500 for this winter. Put a couple on the front, pull the studs, for braking and steering. Mostly because front tires are due for a change already. Might as well use these if I can. On truly slick roads, there is nothing better, IMO. Chains are a pain in the azz, only use those if forced to en route. Studs and/or snow tires have always sufficed for me, Chain are and always were a precaution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chit...
If Bristo is driving it is studded....

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/05/22.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Snow just started. There's two systems coverging and will meet right here. The big one is swooping down out of the northwest. The smaller is coming up out of the south.

The weather people are all over the place on potential accumulation. I can understand why. They're having to track two systems and it's hard to say exactly what either one will produce and exact;y where they will meet.

I'm not a big fan of snow. But it wouldn't bother me if we got a big one right now. It won't last. Temperatures are expected to go back up in a few days--and I'd like to have some fun time playing with the blade on my tractor for a day or two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve gone to blizzaks vs studded tires.

I buy the extra rims to go with so momma doesn’t have to wait on a tire shop to swap em out.

Added bonus my lads are pretty familiar & competent at changing tires.

You’d be disappointed to find how many of their peers don’t have the first clue how to change a tire.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I’ve gone to blizzaks vs studded tires.

I buy the extra rims to go with so momma doesn’t have to wait on a tire shop to swap em out.

Added bonus my lads are pretty familiar & competent at changing tires.

You’d be disappointed to find how many of their peers don’t have the first clue how to change a tire.

We do the same, even though both mine and momma's daily driver rigs are AWD, siped/soft compound snow tires STOP so much better than all-season. On my F-250 I swap from pretty mild "summer" tires to "snow-rated" all-terrain Nitto Exo-Grapplers usually in mid-Oct. If it weren't for lots of gravel in the fall/winter hunting and ice fishing, I'd run Blizzaks on my pickup in the winter too.

My daughters are 13 and 9. Both know how to use a floor-jack and DeWalt impact driver as well as re-tightening in a proper "star" pattern. They can do everything except lift the wheels onto the studs.

Studded tires are of great benefit both stopping and going on ice/hard-packed snow. Studded tires are a hinderance to stopping on clear/dry pavement.

Last edited by horse1; 01/06/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Light them studded fuggers up on the pavement at night and watch the sparks!

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/06/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.