Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Estimated to be 70 years to over 100 years old....

Anyway, nice job if you can get it....

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports...WtLk5KTQh-QrOsRvSPYc8uW0l5f-bCp6moWUflPc

[Linked Image from media.ktvb.com]

White sturgeon reside in the Snake, lower Salmon, and Kootenai rivers, according to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game website.

Each year, DuPont and other researchers with Idaho Fish & Game, Idaho Power and the Nez Perce Tribe spend time fishing on the Snake River in Hells Canyon so they can measure, tag, scan for previous tags, and evaluate the condition of the sturgeon they catch. This takes place between Hells Canyon Dam and Lower Granite Dam. DuPont said that work helps increase understanding of the growth, movement and mortality of the fish, and helps highlight areas of concern where the researchers may want to do more focused work in the future. One example of more focused research relates to the growth rates of juvenile white sturgeon.

However, one of the most frequently-asked questions is, "just how big do sturgeon get?"

DuPont said the biggest sturgeon researchers have sampled was 10 feet, 8 inches long and bottomed out a 500-pound scale.

White sturgeon can live to be more than 100 years old. DuPont said it's difficult to tell if the big fish from his most recent research trip are that old.

DuPont said, based on the growth rates researchers are seeing now, their age is largely dependent on whether they lived in Lower Granite Reservoir for part of their life or not.

"If they lived in the reservoir, they are likely around 70-90 years old," he said. "But if they lived in the river their entire life, they would be over 100 years old!"

DuPont has the following tips for anglers who want to go after big sturgeon:

Use heavy line. We like to use 60-pound test mono for the main line with 80-pound test leaders. Although you can fish with heavy braid (150-pound plus), I don't like to use it because when it wraps around fish it can cut into them.
If you hook a big fish, it is important that you follow it closely with the boat. It is almost impossible to land a 10-footer from shore. You will often have to fight fish of this size for over an hour, and if you don't keep the boat above it to keep the line off the bottom, the repeated wear on the line as the fish hugs the bottom will eventually cause you to break it off.
Use big hooks. DuPont says, "I prefer to use 12/0 circle hooks or 'J' hooks 10/0 or larger. I have found that with smaller hooks you often don't get a good bite into their lip, which will make it more likely that it will eventually pull out.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of tartar sauce...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imagine their potential growth rate if we still had the historic salmon runs making it as far as Idaho Falls.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you ever, ever get a chance to have smoked sturgeon, don't say no.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. That is for sure super fine grub.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool.

I wonder what the juvenile recruitment rates are though?

Saw a few below Lower Granite that fit the slot limit taken, and yes, they're tasty.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EdM caught a couple of nice ones.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by grouseman
If you ever, ever get a chance to have smoked sturgeon, don't say no.

We used to Smoke Lake Sturgeon from Lake Erie. Good stuff!

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Cool.

I wonder what the juvenile recruitment rates are though?

Saw a few below Lower Granite that fit the slot limit taken, and yes, they're tasty.

(Almost?) none. IDFG has a cooperative program with the Fish Hatchery at the College of Southern Idaho where F&G supplies brood stock and the students at the hatchery spawn and rear the juveniles for stocking in the various tributaries, and the excess gets sold to private growers.

Sturgeon are stocked in their native range, as well as outside their range such as below American Falls dam. Recruitment is almost nil because of the migratory nature of sturgeon and the various dams on the Snake river.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 10' is an old fish probably 50+ years. They used to catch some 12 '+ monsters on the Columbia below Bonniville dam. I think keeper size in Oregon and Washington is 38"-42" which is pre breeding age. Years ago I used to fish the lower Columbia for them, good eating BBQ'd with terriaki sauce and wrapped in bacon.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Different slots for different areas and different openings. see WDFW regs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Imagine their potential growth rate if we still had the historic salmon runs making it as far as Idaho Falls.

I don't believe salmon could get over Shoshone Falls which is just upstream from Twin Falls. The falls are over 200 feet in height. It's one of the largest waterfalls in the U S.

Last edited by MickeyD; 01/06/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Star falls I believe it’s called is up steam from Shoshone and I’m not sure salmon could get past that as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I fished for Sturgeon when it was legal to keep them the slot was 38"- 54" to protect the older breeding population. We also caught several "oversize" sturgeon that would have been in the 8-10 foot range each trip. Those things will wear you out and that much fight isn't healthy for them so we tried to let them go as gently as possible and as soon as possible...

They have had a couple short keeper seasons on the lower Columbia lately and I hope they continue to offer these fishing days. They have a fairly long season for keepers above Bonneville dam and in the John Day pool from what I've been able to research, but I've never taken part in that fishery...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
Star falls I believe it’s called is up steam from Shoshone and I’m not sure salmon could get past that as well.

Rock Creek in Twin Falls was the last spawning tributary of the salmon. The early settlers screened the creek where they could because the spawning salmon would stop up the irrigation works and stink when they died. It was the longest spawning run of any salmon, IIRC.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My buddy and I were fishing in my drift boat just downstream from Tippy Dam on the Big Manistee River. We were anchored on a gravel tailout from Suicide Bend. We kept feeling and hearing bumping on the bottom of the hull. Looking over the back of the boat in the 3 ft. of water was a sturgeon tucked up behind the anchor. It was over a foot wide at the head and looked to be at least 8’ long.
Amazing swimming dinosaurs. We watched it for a while, too captivated to fish. About 20 minutes later we hear a woman’s voice yelling at us to come to shore immediately! We finally spotted her in a Michigan DNR uniform in a popup blind.
I asked her why we needed to come to shore. She said we were harassing the sturgeon and she was there to make sure nobody messed with them.
I pulled the anchor and said she would have to meet us at the boat launch at High Bridge landing. She yelled something that I couldn’t hear. We expected to have company before we got to the take out, but we never saw another DNR person the rest of our float, nor was there anyone at High Bridge either.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 6 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.