Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can vouch for what Brother Kieth says about Armstrong in NWO. Jan 1st of 1974 it went to -52 in Nipigon and everyone remarked it was so much warmer than Armstrong or White River. Both Armstrong and White River used to be regular towns—now they are just little hamlets of a few dozen people each.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
- 39 C this New Years morning

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 338Rules
- 39 C this New Years morning

Wow, you Albertans have been getting hammered this winter too. Our oldest lives in GP and they have been getting -30 and lower for a week now. Its only -10 here in the southern lakes region this morning but looks like we are going back in the deep freeze next week. We are also getting record snowfall. Last summer we had the highest water levels anyone has ever seen and lots of homes flooded. Looks like we see a repeat of that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Just out of curiosity, what is the preferred outer wear in Canada? Here in pennsylvania we wear carhartts.

Wool jack shirts and Carhartts work for me until the temps drop below -15c, then it is wool Mackinaw and fur hat time!
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The warm water in the Gulf of Alaska has created havoc over here. Our area and Mat Su have been declared disaster areas because of extreme snow and winds.
I got two feet of snow and then a heavy rain followed by another foot of snow and now it's -40........tough for people but our wildlife is in real trouble. A couple folks have been trampled by moose
that are seeking plowed driveways to avoid snow. Our bison herd is hanging out on the Alcan Highway.

It's a long time until spring!

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by VernAK
The warm water in the Gulf of Alaska has created havoc over here. Our area and Mat Su have been declared disaster areas because of extreme snow and winds.
I got two feet of snow and then a heavy rain followed by another foot of snow and now it's -40........tough for people but our wildlife is in real trouble. A couple folks have been trampled by moose
that are seeking plowed driveways to avoid snow. Our bison herd is hanging out on the Alcan Highway.

I've seen some of the pictures, its a real mess up there! Any news on when the grocery store is going to re-open? You are correct, the wildlife will take a beating. I saw a mule deer buck the other day on one of the hillsides along Marsh Lk. He was floundering in snow up past his belly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by VernAK

I've seen some of the pictures, its a real mess up there! Any news on when the grocery store is going to re-open? You are correct, the wildlife will take a beating. I saw a mule deer buck the other day on one of the hillsides along Marsh Lk. He was floundering in snow up past his belly.

Dave,
Our only grocery store is a complete loss and Buffalo Fuel is also beyond repair. It's hard to say what the grocery owner will do as he's in his 70s and may be ready to hang it up.
With all that snow, you may have flooding on the Six Mile River again. What a mess!
The future of Dall Sheep, in this area of the Alaska Range, looks dismal as populations were low to begin with. Wolf trapper friends are getting metal detectors to try to find traps and snares. Wolves and coyotes will rule the taiga.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
-35c tonight in NW ON.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You must be fairly close to me - We had -37*c this morning !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Must be what's heading here outside San Antonio where we are low 80's Friday and 55 on Saturday and, yes, I lived through 5 winters in Calgary and Ft. Saskatchewan. Looks like the cabin in north Idaho is pretty chilly as well.

Too bad we we never met, I spent my youth growing up in those places. When were you there:CheersNC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sunday morning in sunny Manitoba...and it's a balmy -44 with wind chill. Can't make up my mind whether to trim the lawn or golf after church. Decisions, decisions.
Have a good one guys!

Paul

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just out of curiosity, what is the preferred outer wear in Canada? Here in pennsylvania we wear carhartts.

Here in Alaska, in those temperatures cited, I prefer a house. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by las

Here in Alaska, in those temperatures cited, I prefer a house. smile

Right there with you, friend.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 17 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.