Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was born left handed and didn’t find out I was right eye dominant until halfway thru my first box of shells missing every clay bird I shot at. My Dad stopped and gave me the dominant eye test. Then I had to start all over. By grouse season I was breaking more than I missed and managed to bag several grouse and woodcock. Dad got me a beagle for Christmas thinking rabbits would be a confidence booster. Boy was he right, me and that beagle kept us in meat until March. Now in my mid 60’s it feels normal shooting right handed except for pistols which I have always shot left handed. Only person who ever noticed was range officer in MP school. Called me over and asked why I shot rifle right handed and pistol left. I explained and it turned out he suffered a similar affliction only opposite way. That taught me to roll with the punches and take what nature gives you and make the best of it.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Same eye dominance here, but learned to train my left eye. Took a bit. Nobody could figure it out when I was young. Took me starting to shoot and hunt in my late 20s...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Same only reversed.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Same here. Anything requiring hand eye coordination is easier right handed. Even got where in golf I drove left handed and put right handed

Left hand dominant left eye dominate. Only shoot right handed guns. If I had to shoot a left handed gun now it'd be like a foreign object!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reversed here as well. Right handed and left eye dominant. Shoot rifles LH and pistols RH.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Right handed, left eye dominate. I shoot everything left handed like bows, rifles, pistols. As far as pistols go, I was always taught to practice both hands. Kind of like a strong hand, weak hand. I do that every time I shoot pistols.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was born right handed but when my father started teaching me to shoot he noticed I was using my left eye. He did the "test" and determined I was left eye dominant so I was taught to use long guns and archery left handed. When I got older and bought my first handgun (we didn't have handguns growing up) I found I shot better right hand and eye. I still shoot long arms left and handguns right, but now when I do a dominance test I'm right eyed. I've been working at shooting some of my rifles right handed but 60 years of muscle memory is hard to overcome. That and I finally have a decent left handed rifle collection.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the same. My Dad had me close my eye. I shot with just my left eye. I'm an A trap shooter & shoot handicap @ the 26 yard line. I'm 67 & I'm not changing. My 30/06 is scoped---not big deal there shooting 1 eyed.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My left eye dominance is a retina problem in my right eye. It’s a birth defect. You would never notice anything wrong unless my eye was dilated and a doctor put a lens up to it so you could closely inspect the retina. They discovered it when I was in school and they do the hearing and vision tests on the kids. I would be in big trouble without my left eye. I couldn’t drive, read or do anything fun. I can still see a little with it and navigate around the house, but it’s messed up pretty good. My dad taught me how to shoot left handed at an early age and it feels right. He got me into left hand rifles even though all of his are right hand.

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 02/18/22.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.