-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not sure if you YANKS eat Barley, but here in Down Under, we make a stew from any cheap meat you like, beef, pork or chicken, sometimes lamb if you can get a cheap shoulder, and put 1-2 cups of Barley in depending on stew size of course. You can freeze individual portions or the whole thing and heat it up in camp while you hunt, the smell upon your return will be delicious.
It makes for a wholesome and delicious meal that keeps your energy up with very little actually eaten.
The other thing I use a lot of is oats, either as porridge or as homemade muesli bars or slice.
I also take small tins of flavoured tuna with crackers to have for lunch. It is cheap and very nutritious.

Cheers.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rice is usually the No.1 in UN relief operations. Cheapest per energy benefit, long shelf life, dense storage. Also lentils, chickpeas, any other of the hard vege pellet types. keep in mind these need fuel . if cooking and heating becomes expensive, cold soaking can speed it up. Other grains and cereals may need less energy to prepare.

For protein, eggs and chicken stay the most affordable in poor countries I have seen. Also offal, a favorite of our ancestors. Beef and sheeps heart are veru nutritious and fry up like normal steak. Kidney and liver if you like them. Pigs feet, pigs head( quite a bit of meat on a pigs head), gel brauns, fish head stews. Also all the less popular fishing options. Catfish, eel, baitfish, squid, ray, shark, whatever you have in your region.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dandelions.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Canned venison. You can use it a thousand different ways. If this is the “new normal”, I would start canning if I didn’t already.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by ihookem
The biggest problem in our family is my wife throws out so much food it is maddening . She cleaned the fridge and I went through the thrown out food. I could have had several meals. About 10 oz. of cashews, 5 apples, some cheese and other things. As for saving money, that is what we need to do. Me, being raised by 2 depression parents, cheap as can be and I followed . My wife, raised by 2 hippies. Her dad was downright rich till he ruined it from drinking. New cadilacs every year, made $85 K in 1972. I still dont make that. As for me, I dont eat deer heart or liver. That is about all I waste but I might start eating heart. We used to raise chickens , we dont anymore. The rotisery for 8 bucks are fairly good m not as good as our home raised but a lot easier . No more egg layers neither. The 86 yr old lady sells us all we want for $1.75 doz. and they are huge.

Problem is we are not that hungry yet

True, we are no that hungry yet, but it's coming .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Serious inquiry.

I'm not really much of a "foody". Of course, I like good eats as much as the next guy. But most of the time I just eat to fuel up.

So, with grocery prices going through the roof, I've been wondering what I can eat that will keep me well fed with a fairly balanced diet that won't break the bank.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. Cheap protein and nutritious vegetables, especially.

Build a nice hen house, get a dozen female chicks, and wait for the eggs to come rolling in.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Cornmeal mush.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Wabby, you will never go hungry . You must own 1,000 cows by now.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ham is cheap.

Turkey is cheap.

Chicken is cheap.

Local beef and pork is cheap.

Cheapest thing I ever bought was a huge, 60 dollar ham.

We ate all week on that....stretched with bread, potatoes and beans.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Us, an' the bank! More like a hundred.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Informative thread, gents, thank you.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 158XTP
rice is usually the No.1 in UN relief operations. Cheapest per energy benefit, long shelf life, dense storage. Also lentils, chickpeas, any other of the hard vege pellet types. keep in mind these need fuel . if cooking and heating becomes expensive, cold soaking can speed it up. Other grains and cereals may need less energy to prepare.

For protein, eggs and chicken stay the most affordable in poor countries I have seen. Also offal, a favorite of our ancestors. Beef and sheeps heart are veru nutritious and fry up like normal steak. Kidney and liver if you like them. Pigs feet, pigs head( quite a bit of meat on a pigs head), gel brauns, fish head stews. Also all the less popular fishing options. Catfish, eel, baitfish, squid, ray, shark, whatever you have in your region.

Catfish is very popular fish around here.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Thanks for the ideas. This will be the first thread I bookmark.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

A flock of free ranging laying hens is super easy and cheap to keep, and the rewards are great. That's why such was ubiquitous anywhere you found human beings for most of human history.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

A flock of free ranging laying hens is super easy and cheap to keep, and the rewards are great. That's why such was ubiquitous anywhere you found human beings for most of human history.

I've thought about getting some chickens.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Beans and Vegetables

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I dont think anyone has mentioned the dented can store yet? usually one in in every town, they have damaged cans or somtimes torn or missing labels,, I know several who frequent these store an come away with good buys at a big savings,, Quality thread !!

I AM AMERICA!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dried beans
Canned tuna

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have an older friend who was raised in rural Georgia during the depression. He says some days they would have cornbread and peas. Other days they would have peas and cornbread.

By peas he meant purple hulls. They grow fast and a gardener can make two crops of them during the growing season. I would prefer to eat them as a steady diet opposed to beans but both are okay.

Somebody tell me the difference between a pea and a lentil?

Last edited by RJY66; 01/16/22.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RJY66;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been behaving for you and you're getting the weather you need in your part of Georgia.

Here's a quick link as to the difference between eating and cooking lentils or field peas.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-split-peas-and-lentils-word-of-mouth-214986

Way, way back in the day - about '81 - we were trying to grow field peas, lentils and fava beans in our part of Saskatchewan. We did it for a few reasons, one of which was that they were not governed by a marketing board like all the seed grains were then and still might be, I'm not exactly sure. It gave us a crop we could sell when we needed to free up some cash, or that was the theory.

Back then too there weren't any soybean varieties that'd grow that far north, but if I'm not wrong they're now able to grow soybeans there.

Lentils or at least the kind we grew, would make it to perhaps 10" tall and then fall over as they ripened. That meant to swath them, we installed drag pads on the outside of the header and any stone bigger than a golf ball would break a knife. We did it with a small swather that was half the size of what I'd run on Canola.

Because of the tangling nature of the lentil vines and the stones breaking the knives, when my elder brother had been on that field less than a couple hours, he came onto our VHF band radio and said to my older cousin who farmed with us, "I'm done with this >>>>>, you won't like it either. If Dwayne isn't patient enough to do this <<<<<< then I say we disc it under... Your call Dwayne.." eek laugh

I want to say it took me two and a half days to swath that quarter section, where I'd usually knock off a half section a day with the regular swather doing Canola.

Field peas grew even taller and then would tangle up when they fell over, but somehow the next year when we did them we'd figured out how to pack the rocks in the field a little better and had a different swather setup.

Honestly I still wince a wee bit when I'm cooking lentils to this day. shocked wink

All the best to you in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,974
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.