Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Monashee
My wife has shot 2 bucks with her .280REM Mountain rifle.She's not a big girl (5'4",125lbs),but the recoil doesn't bother her at all.Next week she's off to the range with a .300WSM to get ready for our upcoming moose draw.We'll see how that goes! Monashee

Recoil is a personal thing. My only complaint about my SUCKS PB&J (700 Mountain Rifle .280) was the hard recoil pad on the trim stock. Punished my reconstructed right shoulder until I swapped the stock for a CDL take off.

BTW what the heck is wrong with a .280 for a moose? It's the biggest cartridge I'm considering taking this year ...

GE

HR IC

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Take a look at the Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in .260 Rem. I have almost given up the .270 for this rifle while hunting deer on the East Coast.

It is a nice, classic rifle and with the proper bullets suitable for everything from groundhogs to large deer. It's almost identical to the 7x57 that is used in Europe for their moose.

Last edited by Rem260; 09/19/07.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hunting clothes tailored for women are made by Mossy Oak, Browning, Orvis, etc. Cabelas and Bass Pro have sections in their catalogs just for this.

Look at the upper crust hunting magazines, like those from England - The Field, Shooting, Countryside - and you will find really nice stuff, but not much camo. Barbor, Beretta, and all kinds of nice brands. Watch out. That stuff costs way more than the rifle.

H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thats good to know Lee. I have seen them advertised on the outdoor channel hunting show that have the women on. Archers Choice and Get'n Close. But Bass Pro didn't have anything instore for her.

My buddy loaned her a Ruger 77 in a compact .308 once and it came about as close to a fit as anything she has shot. And the .308 wasn't to much gun for her, but I want her to be as involved in this process as she can get.

She loves to plink with my old Ruger 10-22. That got me thinking about the Ruger Deer rifle in 44 mag. But thats a basic 100 yarder, no good for out west.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoot,

Being that she liked the Ruger 77 Compact for fit, consider the Ruger 77 Ultra Light. 20" Barrel. Pretty stock with black forend cap. As she's fully grown, no harm in cutting and padding stock to fit no matter what the platform.

About anything from 243 on up will be dandy for chambering ... even "out west" most people have very little business taking shots further than 350 to 400 yards. Good news is it is not THAT hard to get within 250 to 300 yards of an animal under most circumstances.

Most of all, may both of you ENJOY the process.

GE

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hoot, I'm trying my hardest to remember the name of a clothing & accessory outfit that specialized in gear for women. Dang, I just saw it on a comercial for a show I was watching on outdoor channel..... she-? it was she-something, goll dang if I can remember now though....

she-safari... that's it.

www.shesafari.com

I don't know if they have anything worth lookin at.. lets see.... hmmmm, how do you spell purrrrrr-meeeeoooowwww!!

oh, um, yeah, clothes.... maybe also check this other one I heard of... foxyhuntress or sumthin. lemme see, I'll scout it for ya first......

ummm, yeah I dunno.

not sure that stuff is really hunting clothes.... actually not sure how much hunting I would get done if I had one of those models strutting around in there taylored "hunting" clothes either.... not that that's always a bad thing.

you can check it out but I didn't see anything that looked all that practical there.... cute? heck yeah, but not all that practical or functional.

smile

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife shoots my 243 like she owns it, and sometimes thinks she does (LOL). If I ever bought her a gun that was just for her, I'd let her handle/feel/etc. as many as possible and then go with the 243/260/6.5 Swede/7mm-08 flavor depending on what she picked. FWIW, I'm sure that a mild handload in 270 (one that essentially dupes 6.5 Swede vels) will kill stuff. Just a guess though. Congrats on hunting with your better, half, I enjoy it as well.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My wife loves her Ruger #1 in .243 Winchester. I wasn't sure how well this would go over at first, so I thought If she didn't like the idea of hunting with me, I could always use a .243...

Now there isn't much chance I will ever get my hands on it.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my wife picked the Remmy 7 Youth in 7-08 for her all around gun as we try for elk tags every year........she loves the gun, loves the chambering.........only improvement is she wants a purple McSwirly grin my "go to" rifle right now would fit the bill aswell its a Kimber 84M in 260........the wifes been eyeing it and im not sure how much longer i will own it though crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Northern Dave, I think you nailed it buddy. Thats just what shes looking for. Camo but classy. She one of those that likes to be in style if she a social event of the year or 30 feet up a lob lolly pine.

But I dont care if I have to get her a camo diamond ring as long as she gos.

We're planning a trip to the bass pro to handle a few long guns this weekend.

oh yeah....Those gals in the web site make that camo look pretty good.

Last edited by Hoot; 09/20/07.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's real 3D camo.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yaaaa, oofta on dat tree-dee dere.....

(norsky accent from like the movie "fargo". No I don't talk like that but it's still funny as hell to pretend.)

smile

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agreed -- Kimber 7-08 or .260 (or even a .308 in the Montana version) is da bomb!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just make sure the stock fits. We went thru a rifle rack looking for a fit for my wife and ended up with the A-bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm-08. The LOP is about 12 3/4" and fits great. She's about 5'7" tall. Weight with a 3-9 Monarch is still light and very manageable. She's doesn't care for the standard way of stacking rounds in a magazine then dumping them out or cranking them thru so the detachable mag works great for her. And it looks just like drop plate bottom metal on any other rifle. The 60 deg bolt throw was another thing she liked. All in all just an easy to UNDERSTAND and use rifle that fit. And the 7mm-08 just plain works, like the 7x57.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shootem

my 13yo daughter has the micro hunter in 260, it was mine until I let her hold it. No complaints!! Another suggestion is the ruger ultralight in 243,308,250, or 257 roberts. My 257 weighs 6 pounds on the nose without a scope,stock is nice and trim and points like a dream

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
We went to the range over the weekend and I let her shoot my 30-06. Pointed the gun down range and told her to concentrate just on the recoil and not to worry about the target. After 3 shots, recoil wasn't a concern any longer.

A buddy of mine has a Micro Hunter for sale in 7mm-08 he bought for his son, who has out grown it. It's equiped with a leupold VX-II.

He offered it to her for this season to see if she likes it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Grease up the hinge on your wallet. 'Buddy' just made a sale.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Remington Model 7 CDL in 25-06 would treat her right.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 25/06, the .260 or the 7/08 are all great choices in my opinion.

Scott

H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am one of those guys that likes every bullet out there. I've been hunting long enough to know, If you get a good pass through shot, double lung what ever you are hunting. You'll find it within 75 yards of where you shot it * most of the time.

90% of the time bullet placement is more important than the bullet its self.

By the way, A .280 Rem. has another name. Does anyone remember it. 7mm something.

Last edited by Hoot; 09/26/07.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.