Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Does anyone have a gun that they put in a precision chassis in the off season and switch back to a conventional stock for hunting season just curious pros and cons of switching back and forth

Last edited by Evansj24; 01/19/22.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What a pita. Why?

LOL
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Why not? I guess that was kinda my question

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting one load with a target bullet and the precision chassis, and probably with a different scope, than what you hunt with? So everything has to be swapped how many times a year? Man I can barely keep up with dedicated platforms and that's shooting only one load. I strive to simplify, not complicate, but by all means, you are entitled to your fun!

LOL

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Funny how wankers like furball are so keen to reply about stuff they have absolutely no experience with

I do exactly as you are talking about

I have a sporter weight 260 AI barreled action as the basis

For hunting it wears a sporter stock and 3-9 SWFA

For play it wears a chassis and a 4-18 LRHS

I can change either way in under 10 minutes and zero has always been spot on

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I have 2 tikka t3x’s a 300 win mag and a 22-250 my original thought was to put the 22-250 in a chassis for some bench shooting and coyote killing but since tikka doesn’t have a true short action the 300 win mag would fit the same chassis I already have an mdt lss on its way for the 22-250. Since the scope stays on the rifle not the chassis and both the stock and chassis keep the barrel free floated I don’t see why I couldn’t swap them both out for what ever the moment called for

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Evansj24
I have 2 tikka t3x’s a 300 win mag and a 22-250 my original thought was to put the 22-250 in a chassis for some bench shooting and coyote killing but since tikka doesn’t have a true short action the 300 win mag would fit the same chassis I already have an mdt lss on its way for the 22-250. Since the scope stays on the rifle not the chassis and both the stock and chassis keep the barrel free floated I don’t see why I couldn’t swap them both out for what ever the moment called for

I agree with fireball. Why complicate schidt? Especially when you have a Tikka. Do you think switching over to a chassis will make you shoot better? Why not practice with it in its factory stock and familiarize yourself with it that way? I don't mind the stocks on my superlite and Lite's. Not going to switch them into a different stock either. If I want a different style rifle, I'll buy one. Like a CTR for example..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The magazine well in the chassis is different between the long action and medium.
You won’t be able to feed both of them out of the same chassis from AICS magazines
In your situation I would get a KRG Bravo that takes the factory mags and rock on using them, it is definitely easier to shoot well with that than the factory stock off a bipod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried this for a very short while and it was a pain in the rear. Sometimes just getting the action screw torque off by a bit would mean readjusting my scope each time - if I had time to get to the range between changes- and then going back and forth after the hunt...

I guess I'm lucky, I have enough rifles to cover just about anything these days and don't have to mess around with impossible scenarios like this any more...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I definitely looked into a bravo and would have went that way but they do not offer a lefty for the tikka

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Sheister that is a good point about torquing the action screw I have a wheeler torque driver so I will be sure to be diligent there you guys also bring up good points about just having another gun set up for each purpose and if I could afford it that is definitely what I would do and in the future that is probably the way I will go but for now if going to give this a try worst case scenario I have a few rough days at the range and realize it won’t work castle_rock has me feeling optimistic that it will work for one of my guns

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sheister that is a good point about torquing the action screw I have a wheeler torque driver so I will be sure to be diligent there you guys also bring up good points about just having another gun set up for each purpose and if I could afford it that is definitely what I would do and in the future that is probably the way I will go but for now if going to give this a try worst case scenario I have a few rough days at the range and realize it won’t work castle_rock has me feeling optimistic that it will work for one of my guns

Sheister, is right. We are both lucky to have many rifles at our disposal. I've shot with him and met him and he has some nice ones. However, I can see where you are coming from. My question is are you having issues shooting your rifles with factory stocks on them? Have you tried shooting at distance with them? Also keep in mind that a simple stock change is not going to give you better accuracy. A lot of times a little fine tuning is required to get that factory rifle to shoot better. Sometimes it's just more trigger time behind it. I've made some of my longest kills on game with finely tuned factory rifles in their factory stocks.. Also, just for chidts and giggles, ask Sheister how his brothers Tikka 30-06 shoots. That rifle is bone stock and wears the factory stock..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
My 300 win mag shoots great in the factory stock I don’t have a lot of chances to shoot long range but last time I did I was making hits at 1200 yards so I guess it’s more over a comfort thing I think the extra weight might make the shooting a little more enjoyable I know a break would help but I don’t like hunting with a break it’s just too loud and I forget hearing protection

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What a pita. Why?

This

What would be the purpose in trying to swap one “dual” chambered rifles stock and optics around and then wind up with a rifle that’s barrel profile, overall weight, and likely the chambering itself will be less than ideal no matter you’re doing with it?

If it is due to budget you really aren’t going to save any money by the time you buy two scopes and a chassis. You would be better off with two less expensive guns tailored to what you hunted or just roll with one rifle left as is rather than swapping stuff around.

As I see it with the money and hassle you will have in swapping stocks/chassis back and fourth and presumably optics to best take advantage of it. It will still be a less than ideal rifle for either single purpose and it isn’t going to help you kill more coyotes just a giant PITA.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Does anyone have a gun that they put in a precision chassis in the off season and switch back to a conventional stock for hunting season just curious pros and cons of switching back and forth

Rather than the course you mention, I built my hunting rig to be suitable for some informal long range comps as well as a great hunting rig. I figure the more off season stuff I do with my hunting rig helps me be a better shot during hunting season. I don’t want to have to adjust between different ergos between seasons.

In the same vein, my match gun is in a chassis nearly identical to the hunting rig, so no change in how the chassis fits me, whether using my hunting rig or my match rig. There is a difference in balance due to the weight of the barrel and scope on my match gun.

Hunting rig in top pic and heavy gun in bottom.

John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think Christensen has addressed this with the introduction of the MHR (Modular Hunting Rifle).

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...r-modern-hunting-rifle-christensen-arms/

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All depends on where you're at. I'm a loon in a ton of ways but switching around like you're talking about is frustration, not fun, to me. I want it dialed and done. FOREVER.

LOL

LOL
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I definitely see what you guys are saying about it being a pain and that it would be better to have a dedicated gun for either but what I can’t understand it’s why everyone is talking like I would be switching optics or removing me scope for some reason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you hoping to gain by using a chassis to hunt coyotes? It isn’t going to help you kill any more yotes. Personally I’d rather have a traditional stock for typical Michigan woods or farm field edge coyote hunting for better portability and less to hang up on especially if hunting in the dark. Odds are extremely slim that you will ever shoot at one past 300-400 yards and most will be a whole lot closer than that. Way closer if you don’t have consistent farm access. That doesn’t call for precision shooting and a sporter weight barreled rifle with a midpower deer scope without dials on it isn’t ever going to be a precision rifle. Which isn’t to say it can’t be a tack driver but it isn’t going to be a specialized truly long range rifle by dropping it in a chassis which isn’t something you need or will benefit from for your purpose anyway.

There are a few exceptions but IMO for a chassis to make any sense it generally needs to be on a more specialized precision rifle. If you’re going to keep a typical deer scope on the rifle and it’s a rifle with a sporter weight barrel profile that you’re using to chase coyotes with here in Michigan what are you trying to gain by swapping stocks/chassis back and fourth? Only changing stocks back and fourth and checking for zero wouldn’t be a huge hassle but it’s completely unnecessary. The money would be better spend on another rifle if you’re on a budget or rock on with just the hunting stock killing deer and yotes both.

Look at the barrel profile, NF optics with repeatable turrets, and good glass, precision shooting style scope mounts, and open country Hondo is in and shooting off a tripod. Unless you can check off those boxes for barrel profile, quality optic with good glass and repeatable dials, and wide open country shooting off of a tripod or at least a bipod. A chassis on a Michigan dual purpose rifle will only be a waste of time and money and honestly you will be better off with the hunting stock ergos for what you will be doing with it.

If it were me I’d hunt deer and coyotes with whatever you have now and as money allows buy yourself a dedicated precision rifle in a chassis if you want. To learn precision shooting with if that’s something that you think you want to get into.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,637
Posts18,493,149
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.