Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've had 2 damn good "farm" dogs die this year, 1 this week. I like having a few good dogs around. Last squirrel dog I bought was a cur, and he would murder things, but I made him gun shy. Kept him around for 12 years for the conversation I reckon. Thought i'ld give it another go. Been casually looking for a while, started getting serious around Thanksgiving. Found these on a forum. Guy had posted hunting pictures of his stock. Talked the guy a bit, liked what I heard, so started putting a plan together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nothing pressing going on with real-estate or farming today. No other side jobs to worry about. Had my mind made up that I was headed south to Broken Bow, OK or the Southeast Corner. Now the old feller "friended" me on Facebook. Come to find out he knew a kid I graduated with. They both raise game birds. Thought he was riding along, but he backed out cause he needed to be home before dark.

Pulled out of the Cafe this morning 7:45. Figured I'ld go down through Fort Smith, Poteau OK, Mena AR, see the Boston Mountains on the way down and come back up a path A little further west toward Tulsa and Joplin MO, flat cattle country.
Pulled up to a stop light about 60 miles out and heard a very faint rattle. Sounded like it was behind the radio head unit, I was running the defroster. I haven't had the truck long but never noticed anything that would make me leary of going on a trip.

But here I am, sitting on the side of the road. No transmission, just waiting on a friend with a truck and trailer. Good to have friends because every damn tow truck I called said no. Only good news is. I pulled over after it slipped going up the first hill. So I'm in a safe spot for loading and I think I'll drive onto the trailer.

Thats twice this thing has stranded me. Once was a heater return line blew. And the worst part is no puppy. Hell I was getting excited.

Even been looking at the new Ford Mavericks while I sit here. Anyone know anything about them. Might be my first new vehicle.

^^^^and that sign is for the Winding Stair Mountains for you True Grit fans.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm reading along and you had me excited for a road trip and a puppy and now we're stranded.

Bummed.

LOL

Glad you got help on the way.

Can we go pick up the puppy tomorrow?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ha! Its always something eh?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn the luck!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
+1 on a Cur...

Facebook Group... Old Stock Mountain Curs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/900608653295707

Campfire guys sent me there...

Good luck with the truck.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Always something Jim.
Guy I called to come get me has been wanting a mountain fiest... we may head south loaded. Wouldn't hurt my feelings. I was going to get a bitch this time. Gives me the option to pay a stud fee and keep a line going. Guy has 2 litters. Maybe I get the bitch and the other guy grabs a male. Maybe I'm so made and hungry when he gets here I just go home.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
That sucks, hope the guy holds on to the puppy for you.

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Drove up on the trailer and boomed down. Got to the bottom of the hill and there is a parking lot and big monument. Apparently JFK gave a speech there in that bottom. Turned that [bleep] around and headed for home.
14 hours later and I'm home.

They told me I need this "nicer" truck for real-estate. Guess I'll drive the other for a while. It more like me anyways. Rough, but reliable.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]print screen windows 7

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LJBass: Sorry for the "situation".
I have been there and done that a few times in my 60+ years of adult life and travelling about.
Better luck next time - great pics by the way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So what happened to getting the puppy?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by kingston
So what happened to getting the puppy?

Didn't get the truck loaded until after 5. Would have been well after dark getting there, and the guy wouldn't answer the phone. I'm not going to borrow a car to drive over 4 hours and grab a pup. I get the truck fixed, I'll worry about it then, maybe a tree dog will turn up close to home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (44mc, 16penny, 405winash, 35, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,648
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.