Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty common at all bus stations back in the day!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the way the machine was made, you had to be at least 10-12 years old to be strong enough to pull the knob

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
35cents and matches was paying extra for convenience. In Illinois, when I was a 18yr.
old migrant worker in '71, liquor stores could only sell quarts of beer 3 at a time.
A carton of smokes and 3 quarts was 5 bucks.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man.

$1, some maybe a $1.25. Most restaurant lobbies in town. We’d cruise up on our BMX bikes and get a few packs before the manger came out and run us off. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by poboy
35cents and matches was paying extra for convenience. In Illinois, when I was a 18yr.
old migrant worker in '71, liquor stores could only sell quarts of beer 3 at a time.

I remember many a Friday and Saturday night going out with $5.00. I could buy a 6 pack of beer to drink in the woods, a pack of cigarettes, and some food at the burger joint on the way home and still have change in my pocket.

And an ounce of pot was 20 bucks. That lasted about as long as the beer.

Last edited by RS308MX; 01/28/22.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Weren’t they in the entryway of Shoneys?

And Bonanza too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I remember many a Friday and Saturday night going out with $5.00. I could buy a 6 pack of beer to drink in the woods, a pack of cigarettes, and some food at the burger joint on the way home and still have change in my pocket.

Use to be a bar in Athens that had $2.75 pitchers (shorties, maybe 40oz), and dollar jaeger shots. Mid 90’s that was a hell of a deal.

If you could play pool, a $20 Bill was enough to get you and whatever girl hammered, play pool till close, and still tip the bartender.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've long thought that anyone who started smoking after the surgeon general started putting warnings on cigarette packs had enough information to make a better choice.

My high school sweetheart died from brain tumors that metastasized from lung cancer. She started smoking when she was 14 or 15 and mostly bought her cigarettes from vending machines before she could legally buy them at 18. Salem 100s. Once she started, she was never able to kick the habit, but I never thought that she tried very hard. She died in 12/99 at age 42, left 3 daughters ages 14, 17, and 20. I felt bad for her husband and her kids. She would have been 65 this year. Sometimes the choices you make catch up with you. years later.

Remember when cigarette makers would sell cartons printed with a Christmas theme to encourage people to buy cartons of cigarette as Christmas gifts for their friends and family? Different times 50 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Our govt gave away free smokes in packages of C rations, always was glad to get something good to smoke in them, even tho in the late 60's they were already PLENTY old and dried out.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Use to be a bar in Athens that had $2.75 pitchers (shorties, maybe 40oz), and dollar jaeger shots. Mid 90’s that was a hell of a deal.

If you could play pool, a $20 Bill was enough to get you and whatever girl hammered, play pool till close, and still tip the bartender.

Once I turned 18 (drinking age in '74) my neighborhood bar sold mugs of Schlitz for 35 cents and most liquor shots were 60 cents. A game of pool was 25 cent.s

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

And an ounce of pot was 20 bucks. That lasted about as long as the beer.

Way back me and three friends would get together $0.50 each for a total of $2 and have one of the guy's older sister buy us a gallon jug of Red Mountain wine and a pack of Marlboros, then out to the olive grove we'd go.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My mother and aunt were in a bowling league when I was kid. I remember the cigarettes in those machines at the bowling alley were .25$ . That place was so filled with smoke it's a wonder I don't have coal miner's lung.

I used to go to a Cafe with my grandpa on weekends and when I was out of school at it was the same.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
During the Viet Nam war they used to park semi trailers in grocery store parking lots with big banners on the side "Smokes for the Troops" encouraging donations of cartons of smokes for the GI's. When I was a HS senior in 1965 I remember one of the teachers complaining that cigarettes had gone up to .45 a pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cigarettes at the PX in June 1973 was 23 cents. At the local gas station they were normally less than 50 cents.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Weren’t they in the entryway of Shoneys?

I remember them being in the entryway of the local hospital ER........right next to the pop machines.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can remember going to the store in our town and on the check out counter there were counter checks from the local banks in town and my mom would get the one to our bank and pay for the grocery's. On that same counter was a tray of cigarettes and they were sold by the singles, don't remember how much they were now.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ashtrays on the shopping cart handles, in the Dr office between the seats, sports stadiums, desks in every office environment.

Smoking was almost expected.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've long thought that anyone who started smoking after the surgeon general started putting warnings on cigarette packs had enough information to make a better choice.

My high school sweetheart died from brain tumors that metastasized from lung cancer. She started smoking when she was 14 or 15 and mostly bought her cigarettes from vending machines before she could legally buy them at 18. Salem 100s. Once she started, she was never able to kick the habit, but I never thought that she tried very hard. She died in 12/99 at age 42, left 3 daughters ages 14, 17, and 20. I felt bad for her husband and her kids. She would have been 65 this year. Sometimes the choices you make catch up with you. years later.

Remember when cigarette makers would sell cartons printed with a Christmas theme to encourage people to buy cartons of cigarette as Christmas gifts for their friends and family? Different times 50 years ago.

I can relate. My Mom died in 1976 at the age of 42. She never smoked, it was breast cancer that got her. She left behind 8 kids. The oldest was 21, the youngest was 8. I was 2nd oldest. Dad did the best he could. It was tough.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My mom was never a smoker but she said when she went into labor when I was born she was given a choice of a smoking or non smoking maternity room!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Ashtrays on the shopping cart handles, in the Dr office between the seats, sports stadiums, desks in every office environment.

Smoking was almost expected.

In the arm rests of airplane passenger seats too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 1234, 75 invisible), 3,557 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.