Hop To
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Hello Gentlemen,

My son gifted me a Citori 20 gauge. It's an amazing gift that I will eventually return to one of his sons when I pass from this world.

The bad news is that it doesn't fit me well at all. I'm seeking a recommendation for a gunsmith/stock maker who can build a stock to fit me (long armed 6' 3").

Of course I can ship it anywhere, but someone within 250 miles of my home in northwest Montana would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

KP

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
S&S Plus in Polson, MT

K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thank you for the recommendation Dian. I found their website (they do beautiful work!) and sent them an email.

$1600 labor, $500 +/- for the wood, and $250 for measuring and fitting puts this FAR beyond my price point (and, for that matter, the value of a brand new Citori.) There's a market for that kind of work, and I have nothing but respect for S&S and their customer base. I just need something more in line with my middle class wages and values.

Anyone?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it just a matter of being too short for you?
Phil

K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by TenX
Phil

I think so, but cast might also be an issue as well. The factory stock is a really nice piece of American Walnut with a satin finish. I'm reluctant to put a slip-on recoil pad/extender on it as every firearm I've ever encountered with this arrangement has suffered from stock/finish damage as a result.

I'm thinking that my best bet might be to get a second factory stock and glue an extended bit of walnut to it, shape it, and then affix a recoil pad. I'm capable of that level of woodwork and for field purposes, I'd be fine with it.

I'm nearly 59 now, and I'm planning on handing this gun down to one of my grandsons in another 15 or 20 years so I'd like to keep the original stock in good shape. In the meantime, it's a sweet grouse gun that needs to be taken on many many walks...

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think you will findca custom stock maker that will truly fit you for less than $1000 and plus wood I am being conservative. A good stock maker well make Try Stock and do a few if not several modifications to fit you which would include shooting before ever making the finished product. I have made a few shotgun stocks for myself and usually have about 100 hours in one and that does not include checkering and finish.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/04/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by K_P
Originally Posted by TenX
Phil

I think so, but cast might also be an issue as well. The factory stock is a really nice piece of American Walnut with a satin finish. I'm reluctant to put a slip-on recoil pad/extender on it as every firearm I've ever encountered with this arrangement has suffered from stock/finish damage as a result.

I'm thinking that my best bet might be to get a second factory stock and glue an extended bit of walnut to it, shape it, and then affix a recoil pad. I'm capable of that level of woodwork and for field purposes, I'd be fine with it.

I'm nearly 59 now, and I'm planning on handing this gun down to one of my grandsons in another 15 or 20 years so I'd like to keep the original stock in good shape. In the meantime, it's a sweet grouse gun that needs to be taken on many many walks...

That's what I'd do, either from Browning or one of the aftermarket stock providers. Or, for a little bit more money you might find an older Citori and get another whole gun and use the stock off of it to play with. I'd check Ebay for another stock as well.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If you find another stock, try this"

Put a blank piece of paper on a target back stop at about 40 feet, ( about 2ft square )with a 1" black circle or square on it's center.

Load the shotgun, then shoulder correctly. Shoot when you see the black. Don't take time to aim, only point. Do this about 3 times. You should see a definite pattern. Repeat until you get it right. The butt of the shotgun is like the rear sight of a rifle. For every 1" the center of your pattern is from the black ,you will move the butt 1/8" in the direction you want the pattern to go. (Just like the rear sight on a rifle). Up or down for elevation,cast for windage.
When mounted correctly ,your nose should be 1&1/2-2" from your thumb position on on the wrist of the shotgun. Shotgun LOP is usually a little longer than a rifle's LOP for the same person

These are all approximate figures,but they will get you in the ball park. To see where you need to be,add some LOP temporarily with a slip on pad spacers.Add moles skin or ? to the cheek area to get some cast. ( A bit more to the bottom than the top)

Getting into the Pitch of the butt is a whole other discussion.There are smiths out there that can bend a stock to the proper cast also.Some better semi shotguns have shims to place between the action and stock to lower/raise the drop at the heel They might be sold separately and possibly modified to fit other shotguns

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/04/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This was interesting

K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thank you all gentlemen. It's far more involved than I had imagined.

This is going to be an interesting process.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Another suggestion.
There are spacers available in various thicknesses: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and tapered spacers.
The spacers are quite light and don't significantly change the balance of the gun
Consider getting a new pad and spacers to fit your requirements and have them fitted to your stock. You can set the original pad aside.
A good gunsmith can do this without messing up the stock finish.
OR You can fit a pad yourself IF you are satisfied with the fit somewhat proud. Scribe the pad/spacer, grind to scribe marks while off the stock and stop. Getting it close and a good fit is something left to someone who knows what they're doing. It's easy to mark the stock when you're doing this. It's the last 10% that can get you in trouble

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 3,425 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,949
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.