you're getting warm, PM on the way.

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Excellent weekend. Stayed out at the cabin all weekend. Just me & my oldest boy on Friday night, we got the woodstove set up & running. Nice & comfy out there all weekend. It was small game opener & my boy shot the first grouse of the season just north of the cabin, that bird has been out there beating his wings at us for the past 2 months, he was asking for it!! smile

A friend stopped out on Sat & helped us finish insulating the walls, then my wife showed up with my other 2 kids & a good supper for us all & the whole family stayed out at the cabin Sat night.

Then sunday we started sheeting the inside of the cabin with our OSB sheeting, here are a couple of pictures of that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good Dave. Oughta be able to heat that place with a candle now..... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks great!, It is really coming together nicely.

Scott

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is a great looking cabin.

NRA Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doing a heck of a job Dave! That's going to be THE place for generations to com

Last edited by Pugs; 09/18/07. Reason: hack to heck!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey thanks guys. I think I can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Soon it may transition into being about the hunting & the story telling, the relaxation.... take a nap on a bunk mid day if you like....

Oh I can't wait to settle into that part of the project. It's been work, work, work. Still fun, but I'll have more fun when it's less work & more play.

I scored a free LP heater yesterday, friend of mine from work replaced a vented LP heater with a new gas freestanding fireplace. so now when I get that hooked up I'll have backup heat. I'll use the little wood stove as much as I can but now with the LP heat in place we can go to sleep at night & let the wood fire burn down & the lp will kick in... sleep all night, no getting up at 3am to toss wood in the stove, fancy huh?

smile

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to get up at 3 am to toss a piss into the bushes anyway, so what's another log in the woodstove at that point. :-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
LOL,

why is the truth so funny?

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not so funny up at elk camp at -15F in the snow... but whatcha gonna do...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, I solved that problem. My second deer season I bought a oversized blaze snowmobile suit. That year It was nicknamed "the big swish" cause its so loud in the woods. Now its my sleeping bag at deer camp. its hell for warm and when I need to take that 3 am leak, I slide on my boots, water the stump, and get back in my cot, never having left my warm sleeping bag!!
Gary

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm so GREEN with envy!!!! Good job!

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Jeff, when I need to take that 3 am leak, I slide on my boots, water the stump, and get back in my cot, never having left my warm sleeping bag!!
Gary

As cold as it is up where we hunt, I'm watering WITH the stump sometimes! Like some guy said in the ski lodge bathroom to much amusement from all present.... I've got 6 layers of clothes on, but only 5 layers worth of pecker!

-jeff (can you hear Castanza yelling, "Shrinkage!")

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 09/18/07.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
northern dave-is your young friend lives close to DL and if you want some elk steaks for your night b4 the opener of deer dinner at your new camp let me know.

I'll be in DL the end of this month and could bring you a few steaks for your night b4 dinner.

If you wish.

Later

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Jeff, I solved that problem. My second deer season I bought a oversized blaze snowmobile suit. That year It was nicknamed "the big swish" cause its so loud in the woods. -snip-
Gary

the big swish, oh man that's funny!!

like a blaze orange michelan man.

you guys talk about trying to take a leak with all thos clothes on, take a peek at my story down the row under "deer hunting" I think it's titled "midwestern deer hunting" or something like that.

kind of goes well with things like "the big swish" and the guy talking about 6 layers of clothing & only 5 layers worth of reach...

dober, I get down that way myself quite a bit, I could meet up with you if the timing worked out.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey benp, happy to report as per your suggestion, the pink foam toilet set is in place & it works very well :: LOL!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey guys, we need to put up a meat pole.

I'm basically broke by now.. (wonder why?) so I can't get too extravagant... what works well for you guys?

I am kind of looking at a couple of trees in what should remain a somewhat shaded area were I thought I could lash a tamarack pole between the 2... it's in a spot were we could drive a truck under..

Any ideas? specific tricks or suggestions?

Dave

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I will throw in a suggestion for the meat pole, get/make enough gambrels and find a block and tackle setup to help lift the deer without getting covered in blood.

It looks like a great place with alot of great memories waiting to be made.

I read about a place in Bassett, NE where Fred Bear and some Bear executives used to hunt. Everyone that ever visited that cabin signed on the curtains and when that filled up they signed on the walls. It looks like a good way to remember all who were there.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks supermag, I can make the gambrels easy enough.. which leads to another question... what's everybody like best? hoist the neck or hang by gambrel (hind legs)?

I've done both but sometimes I favor hanging by the neck so everything can drain out clean, maybe it doesn't matter.

So, with a block & tackle... and multiple deer, (I'm counting chickens that aint hatched yet wink

but, with multiple deer & one pulley, what works the slickest to get em hoisted, get em hooked & get your block & tackle free'd up & ready for the next would be addition to the pole?

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If ya plan on mounting it use the legs if not by the neck for the same reason.

There are some photos from old northern MN deer camps on the FM forum. Take a look at the log and tamarack meat poles they are very cool.

One thing we used to do is pick up a bunch of smaller pulleys from L&M then chain them to the pole tie off your deer run the rope thru said pulleys lift and tie off on boat cleats.

Block and tackle work ok but get to be a pain to adjust and the pulley and chain saves on weight on the hanging pole.

good luck,

Page 6 of 1,842 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 29 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.