Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've relied on using the range chronographs since, well, forever.

Yea, once in a while one of them would get creamed, but since the range owned 2, there was always the other to use while the damaged one was getting replaced.

But this time, and in the span of 1 week, both Chrono's have been shot. Gotta say, we must have the deadliest chrono killers in the area.

The best as I can figure, the damage occurs during public range sessions (which I'm never there) when the place is busy and people are feeling hurried.

So, I decided enough with that, and dropped the $$ and ordered up my own chrono.

And I'm not letting anyone else borrow it. Too many good shots around here...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed one of my own several years ago……with a 44 magnum handgun. I’m a lot more careful nowadays.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
AR's I believe a responsible for killing quite a few chronos . Most because many times people are unaware of just how much higher their sites are than the bore.
Killed my first one with a 38-55 that I had just installed a new flip up Tang site kind of the same deal I really didn't realize how much higher my site plane was in the barrel rip the top right out of the crony

Last edited by ldholton; 01/29/22.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only ever shot one. It was my first. A Shooting Chrony. It took the sensors out.

I did it in with a single shot NEF 30-30 many years ago. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've mentioned more than once to people - as a last step, pull the bolt and look down the barrel (you know, the non-pointy end). If you see the expensive part, then you 'aint ready to fire...

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Planning to shoot mine once Labradar's become more available.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I haven't shot mine, yet, but that is probably due to my wanting to replace it. It might help that I lost the original diffuser and supports so my replacement struts are much higher than the original. I put the target in the upper portion of the

I've seen a few shot and have been careful with my setting up ever since the first one I saw shot. I haven't had someone shoot over mine though I had a guy insist he be allowed to use mine a couple weeks back. He wasn't happy I told him he would have to wait until I was done. I wrote a thread on it here shortly after it happened.

Like others, I'm looking at a Labradar too. They are spendy but I would have it half paid for if I wouldn't have bought a chronograph and later a Magnetospeed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I killed one but not by shooting it, but dropped it coming back from the range. It flew into a lot of pieces and never worked right after that

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I've only ever shot one. It was my first. A Shooting Chrony. It took the sensors out.

This Shooters Chrony is perhaps the biggest POS ever created...............don't buy one or ever believe the data it puts out (my ex-wife in a little red box) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy an Oehler 35p and be done

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
I've relied on using the range chronographs since, well, forever.

Yea, once in a while one of them would get creamed, but since the range owned 2, there was always the other to use while the damaged one was getting replaced.

But this time, and in the span of 1 week, both Chrono's have been shot. Gotta say, we must have the deadliest chrono killers in the area.

The best as I can figure, the damage occurs during public range sessions (which I'm never there) when the place is busy and people are feeling hurried.

So, I decided enough with that, and dropped the $$ and ordered up my own chrono.

And I'm not letting anyone else borrow it. Too many good shots around here...

I bought a used one and it has been shot a few times. It uses cardboard inserts and you shoot through a window a few inches above the top of the chronograph. It does not have the big wide ears to shoot through. I've never shot it, but can see how someone could. Mine is a pro tach and only reads velocity. It works great for that, but does not give SD and ES. Maybe I should shoot it? Nah, I know my handloads have pretty low SD's and ES's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My best friend is a great shotgun shooter but pistols are a different story. He’s adequate and he’s certainly quite capable at self defense ranges but he’s usually just sending rounds down range for fun. He wanted to clock a 10mm he had just bought so I let him shoot over my chronograph once….that’s all it took for him to nail the 1/8” skyscreen. 😂

That reminds me that I need to hit submit on my Midway order with the new screen. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mine is a pro tach and only reads velocity. It works great for that, but does not give SD and ES. Maybe I should shoot it? Nah, I know my handloads have pretty low SD's and ES's.

If you log your velocity readings you can pretty quickly see your SD’s and ES…..I like the simplicity of the “older” styles like yours and my ProChrony but my technological expertise ceases to be so simplicity is my crutch. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Calculating SD and ES isn't too difficult if you record velocity readings.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never killed one....yet. But if you don't mind a little one upsmanship...I did crease the hood on my old Dodge PU.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Never killed one....yet. But if you don't mind a little one upsmanship...I did crease the hood on my old Dodge PU.

back when we had Mini 14s as patrol rifles. I did that at a training. hopped out leaned over the hood and fired 5 quick rounds right through the hood of a new patrol car

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor

This Shooters Chrony is perhaps the biggest POS ever created...............don't buy one or ever believe the data it puts out (my ex-wife in a little red box) !!!!!!!!!!!!

This was 30 years ago. I don’t use old fashioned carbureted chronos anymore. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve had the same Pact for nearly thirty years. Still going strong. If I set it up to close, the muzzle blast will cause the sky screens to come apart. Every time that happens, I think oh [bleep] I shot it. Not yet.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Chrony is no longer in business.

I was looking for some new diffusers for my old Chrony F1. The 3-piece snap together ones, that eventually fell apart. Discovered they were out of business. I also have a Magnetospeed, and a Pro Chrono, but was wanting to keep the Chrony F1 in service. Mine is one of the green body models, I don't know if they are different from the red one, but mine always worked just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one back in the 90's that said my rifles and pistols had MV's of ERR on about 3/4 of all shots no matter what kind of light conditions were prevalent.

One day it accidentally got shot by six rounds from a .41 Magnum Blackhawk. By some fantastic coincidence the pieces all fell into the same pile on the ground where they were accidentally shot six more times.

Bought an Oehler 35 after that. There are easier ones to set up nowadays but since that Oehler hardly ever misses a reading and I can rely on its accuracy it's managed to avoid accidental death and dismemberment for close to 25 years now.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I also have a Magnetospeed, and a Pro Chrono, ...

Yup. I ordered up a MagnetoSpeed...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,558
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.