Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What’s the word on the current production models? Good to go, or find something else?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Considering how hard it is to find a new Colt autopistol of any flavor at all right now, maybe you'd be better off looking elsewhere. Delta Elites only came two ways when I bought mine back in '87, really, really good (mine) or really futzed up, like an awful lot of others I saw back then. I considered myself pretty blessed when mine didn't beat itself to pieces like a lot of the others did, probably due to poor fitting.

They say the new Colts are head and shoulders better than the older ones, I have no comments on that, my newest Colt is at least 30 years old, but everyone is making 10mms now, and I think I'd look at another alternative.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Considering how hard it is to find a new Colt autopistol of any flavor at all right now, maybe you'd be better off looking elsewhere. Delta Elites only came two ways when I bought mine back in '87, really, really good (mine) or really futzed up, like an awful lot of others I saw back then. I considered myself pretty blessed when mine didn't beat itself to pieces like a lot of the others did, probably due to poor fitting.

They say the new Colts are head and shoulders better than the older ones, I have no comments on that, my newest Colt is at least 30 years old, but everyone is making 10mms now, and I think I'd look at another alternative.

That sums up my experience with Colt 1911s

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a Colt, buy a Colt. They are a quality gunmaker. The worst that happens is the gun doesn’t work right, whereby you send it back on their dime and they fix it for free. I have had a few (no deltas) and wouldn’t hesitate to get a delta if I wanted a 10mm 1911.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i’ve never had one but when i was doing some research there was a lot of talk about pour case head support and that they had a non ramped barrel which made them not want to feed hollow points very well? Not sure but i would do some more research before i pulled the trigger….. good news is the 10mm is making a little come back the last few years…. a few more options than there used to be….. sig, kimber,dan wesson, springfield, and a bunch more.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hardway
i’ve never had one but when i was doing some research there was a lot of talk about pour case head support and that they had a non ramped barrel(...)

This was my main concern when looking at one as well. The GI barrel sealed the deal for me and I went with a DW Razorback instead. Finish is way nicer, too.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ELKiller
What’s the word on the current production models? Good to go, or find something else?

The current models are very good with modern features. They will hold their value better than any others mentioned here.

10mm is a powerful round for any 1911. Stainless slide on a stainless frame will need some breaking in at first. A very light coat of RIG on the rails for the first couple hundred rounds works.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input gentlemen. After much consideration, I've decided to buy a Glock 20. I really wanted a 1911 platform, but in general it sounds like there are reliability issues across the board (not just with the Colt). So, even though I find Glocks boring, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Thanks for the input gentlemen. After much consideration, I've decided to buy a Glock 20. I really wanted a 1911 platform, but in general it sounds like there are reliability issues across the board (not just with the Colt). So, even though I find Glocks boring, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

you'll be much happier and not feel like the thing belongs in an antique store

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have no deep experience with Dan Wesson 1911s, but do with the Delta Elites and Kimbers. This goes back to buying one do the first Delta Elites in the late 80s.

Before dismissing 1911 10mm pistols, I’d encourage you to try a Dan Wesson. When I said I had no deep experience with Dan Wessons, I’m speaking of a sample size of one. Mine, a discontinued Silverback, has been absolutely flawless with many different bullet weights and shapes. Superbly accurate as well.

Last edited by GF1; 01/31/22.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I seriously considered a Dan Wesson, but at nearly 4 times the money… well, I just couldn’t justify it. I’m sure they’re fine guns, however.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had one of the newer version Colt Delta's for about the last eight years and it has functioned flawlessly out oi the box. I've shot everything from full power Norma loads to mid-range loadings in hardball, hollowpoint and cast bullets and it has been utterly reliable and feeds everything. It's accuracy rivals several of the higher-end 1911's I own.

It's a very basic handgun with not many frills but very durable and reliable. I also own a Glock 29 and have owned a Glock 20 and they are very different platforms from the Delta Elite, obviously. There are several higher end 10mm's out there, but I will not part with my Colt, as it serves me very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Glock 20 is as accurate on my hands as any 1911 I’ve shot. It holds 15+1, didn’t cost a ton of money, and I don’t care at all if it gets dirty/wet/dinged up. I *almost* bought a Delta but went G20. No regrets so far, although the Delta sure does look nice.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If I wanted a 1911 in 10mm I'd get a Springfield or a Dan Wesson

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colt makes great pistols, so if that's what you want; then you can buy with confidence.
I think if I were buying a 10mm, I would want adjustable sights, but that's me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Colt makes great pistols, so if that's what you want; then you can buy with confidence.

The problem with Colt is, Colt isn't producing many auto pistols right now, they are concentrating on wheelguns and letting the demand grow exponentially for the autos. The problem isn't Colt's quality, it's the quantity available. Colt IS doing runs of some 1911s, but they are very, very few, and very far between. They aren't even trying to keep up with demand, which is why I suggested he look elsewhere for his 10mm 1911. Colt has figured out that making too many 1911s is detrimental to their price structures. They want to keep their prices high, so they don't make a lot of them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
On the semi-auto front I went Glock, my first. I like it a lot.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/bZowzEi.jpg?1[/img]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Can't prove that by my experience

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Another chance to bash Colt and disagree with me. Good day for you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Another chance to bash Colt and disagree with me. Good day for you.

My experience with Colts speaks for itself. The barrel to slide lockup was poorly fitting and both shot patterns not groups ND both were Gold Cups Colts flagship model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 37 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.