Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Gentlemen,
Respectfully request any advice you may be able to offer regarding their quality of construction?
Am also interested in comments regarding the attributes/quality of the steel used in construction of the blade: specifically 52100 Non-Stainless. (I have already reviewed the components used to make said steel but have no personal experience with this particular steel.)

As always, your comments are appreciated.
Best Wishes

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use a Bark River knife daily. I can't remember which one though. I think it was a Fox Creek or something. Excellent knife. I use it much harder than you would hunting, skinning wire, cutting rope, opening boxes etc and after you get rid of the convex edge it will be durable and stay sharp.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Mr. apprentice,
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Best Wishes

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WindWalker
52100 is an excellent steel. It does however go looking for a reason to rust, so some maintenance is required.
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No experience with the actual knife but my marbles knife has the 52100 steel. I like that steel alot, holds an edge an takes one relativly easy.

Never had a problem with mine rusting but it does tend to stain. I like the look of a stained blade alot better than a polished one so it suits me fine.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/24/07.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thank you gentlemen. Do believe I know what I will be hinting at for Christmas this year. The "Lil' Nessy" has really caught my eye.
Best Wishes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not all Bark River knives are 52100, some are A2, ect. As far as I know, they are all some carbon steel of one type or another. So the advice of paying attention to the blade maintenance is still spot on. I really like 52100, am much less a fan of A2. Bark River can be a good value in many cases. However, some of their offerings can be pretty spendy and come close enough to some decent custom knives that I think a fellow can do better in some instances. The sheaths have been a sticking point (no pun intended) and aren't up to the same quality as the knives. Also, the edges are convexed and require a different sharpening technique that can be a turn off for some knife users if they aren't familar with such an edge profile.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
My understanding (from their literature) is that this particular knife is made from 52100. Please rest assured, I have a fair amount of experience with non-stainless high carbon blades. Giving it proper care will not be a problem. Same with the convex edge.
Interesting note regarding the sheath.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Best Wishes

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
JRE Industries, Inc -- www.jreindustries.com -- makes sheaths for Bark River and other knves/knife makers. I have some samples from them that are quite nice. Had several pleasant conversations with them--seem knowledgeable and friendly.
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thank you for the info. If it should become necessary, would cobble up something here at the homestead but I do enjoy seeing the work of others. Thank you.
Best Wishes

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had a Bark river knife for one season. It rusted after i resharpened it. sent it back and got my money back. it was sharp as one can ever get a knife.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
"Lil Nessy" arrived today. Knife is well made and the sheath appears adequate to the intended use. Time will tell.
Best Wishes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,657
Posts18,533,963
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.