Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A very brutal account and sobering to read:

https://www.newsminer.com/mushing/s...193eb9e-863a-11ec-8536-93c1ababe29e.html

Many of these mushers have no clue, whats the proper handgun for the occasion.

A better preparred mushing gal i know, has ended instances like this in very short order.....with a glock 10mm.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/05/22.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The news miner story won't open, but a buddy sent me a screenshot of the story posted on FB or somesuch. There's no mention of the gun used, but it was pretty apparent reading the story that no reloading was done for whatever reason. Heck, things seemed to go on long enough that sharpening a large stick would've been an option.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Whats crazy, is thats Allan Moores daughter. Hes a well prepared, experinced musher. This is a horrific year for moose encounters, its kind of a no-brainer to pack some sufficient heat.

Compact 357 mags and compact 10 mils are tried and true. They allow you to run a team up a hill and do all the dog chores along the trail, without weighing you down arent overly bulky in the parka pocket.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/05/22.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No kidding. My buddy in Delta says they're being real pricks with the bad conditions there.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Deep cold and deep snow tends to crank their piss-off meter. Some years ago, I had a young bull charge the PU from 50 yards off the road as I was driving by, and that wasn't even the one we named Ornery for his everyday demeanor. That would be de - mean - or. smile

Last edited by las; 02/06/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Whats crazy, is thats Allan Moores daughter. Hes a well prepared, experinced musher. This is a horrific year for moose encounters, its kind of a no-brainer to pack some sufficient heat.

Compact 357 mags and compact 10 mils are tried and true. They allow you to run a team up a hill and do all the dog chores along the trail, without weighing you down arent overly bulky in the parka pocket.

What was the gun and load that gal you know used to good effect?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mainer in ak;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one thus far for you and you're well.

Thanks for sharing that story, I appreciate it.

Honestly it makes sense that it's a bit of a problem between moose and a pack of dogs.

We don't really see any mushing done down our way so it's totally outside of my personal experience.

As pabucktail asked, I too would be interested in your thoughts on the bullets or bullet type that's worked.

For sure as a Canuck that's academic for me too since we're not trusted with handguns, but I like to learn.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No dog team should ever be stomped for an hour staight, while the helpless musher watches.

That would break even the most stoic man to tears, let alone a young woman?!

The family has had a rough run, doing what they love: running dogs.
Allans wife, Alliy Zirkle, was terorized by a drunk snowmachiner a few years back. The guy actually killed and injured jeff kings dogs as well.

There is no place on a race sled for a rifle. Nor would it be practical. Heck, even my freight sled barely fits a a 40" carbine. Nothing longer!

Mushers should not use hard cast or fmj anything, for fear of over penetration and killing a dog.

The swift a-frame pistol bullets penetrate deep, through a bull moose, but STAY in the offside.

I personally use 180 grain a-frames in a compact 357 mag. In the parka pocket, the 30 ounce sp 101 does not weigh me down. Many small game have been taken with this little trail pistol as well using 7.5 grains of unique and fmjs.

I also have pile of the new 10 mm 200 grain a-frames.

44 mags are too bulky, even the scandium ones.

5 shot compact ruger and s&w revolvers are ideal.
10 mm compacts are a bit bulkier and heavier, but equally ideal. Theyre just not as versatile as the 357 mag. Low velocity small game loads dont reliably cylce with some of the heavy recoil springs.

An eaa witness compact weighs abput 40 oz fully loaded.
Glock 10 mm compact, about the same.

You gotta reinforce and foam-back a parka pocket, to run with a 10 mm in the pocket.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/06/22.
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
https://youtu.be/KKvbAfvtqqQ

Not dog related but still a pretty good moose vs auto pistol clip.

Last edited by OAM; 02/06/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Crazy story. I think a lot of folks are rethinking handguns and extra clips

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mainer;
Good evening sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you.

Thanks for the answer, your bullet choice makes perfect sense for the reasons you've stated.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I had a Colt catalog from the 90’s that a lady dog sledder, that carried a 4 inch Anaconda.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by OAM

At least he should have taken the tender loins.

Elmer Keith
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Alaska is a wild wonderful place and if your traveling in this wild country why would anyone travel without protection ? and with a dog sled team i would want to protect my dogs also .just a simple revolver in a 357 MAG. or a 44 MAG. nothing fancy just protection , that is the sensible thing to do . i may live in the lower 48 but i never leave home without protection and i live 10 miles from a small town.

Last edited by pete53; 02/07/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you shoot an animal in defense of life or property in Alaska and claim so, you have to surrender the meat or hide to the State of Alaska. The moose esp in late winter is a very dangerous animal.

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/07/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pabucktail
No kidding. My buddy in Delta says they're being real pricks with the bad conditions there.

Quite a few issues around Delta. And even in Talkeetna I've heard from friends.

What I can't factor is that its a known bad year. Carry enough gun, which from reading a few days ago, there was plenty of time, ,but along with maybe not enough gun, ammo isn't a weight factor.

Glock 20 and 2 spare mags is a box of ammo. If you can't kill em with that....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
Alaska is a wild wonderful place and if your traveling in this wild country why would anyone travel without protection ? and with a dog sled team i would want to protect my dogs also .just a simple revolver in a 357 MAG. or a 44 MAG. nothing fancy just protection , that is the sensible thing to do . i may live in the lower 48 but i never leave home without protection and i live 10 miles from a small town.

Doesn't even have to be that big really.
FWIW living 10 miles from a town you need the gun more there than in town.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by OAM

that idiot should have been charged with provoking that. Those kind of stupid Mofos bother me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seems like a 3" Model 29 or Model 24 in 44 Special in a shoulder holster either on top of or under the parka would work fine, without being too heavy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by OAM

that idiot should have been charged with provoking that. Those kind of stupid Mofos bother me.

What would you have done?
I know what I would have done which is turn around , you?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 38 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,784
Posts18,536,266
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.