Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Interesting audio at 0:05 to 0:11....(look at the men) (I agree, we're going down this road again) (that'll be a bullet) , (you know she could be a)...(garbled)....(that's an understatement)....

She? Is that a reference to the pilot?

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Rocky, years ago (‘82-‘83) time frame we had an Air Force exchange Pilot and WSO in VF 171, the F-4 Replacement Squadron (RAG) at NAS Oceana. The Skipper asked them if they wanted to go to the boat and they both said “heck yeah”. For CQ, it’s a chit load of night bounce hops with two day periods, the first and then another about halfway through with simulated emergencies, single engine, etc)

They did the full workup of day and night bounces and got their “field qual” which means they’ve developed the skills to do it. They went out and did really well with day quals. The Skipper asked them if they wanted togo for the night qual. Their response…

“No way”. 😁

In the Phantom on the cat shot, you had full aft stick to ensure the jet got to the climbing attitude off the bow. Just as the cat released, about a hand width forward of full aft kept you from over-rotating. Later in their fleet squadron, the new guy’s first heavyweight cat shot with full fuel fuel and missiles aboard always brought everyone to the ready room to watch.

On our exchange crew went off on their first cat shot, the Major was a fraction of a second too late in letting out that little backstick and they over-rotated big time. Somebody got a photo of it from the island and you could clearly see their little white helmets through the tops of the canopies. 😁

We took measurements of the length and wingspan on the photo, did the trig and we figured they were about 45-50degrees nose-up. Yee haa! A framed copy of the photo, signed by all of us was included with their squadron plaque at their going away party. 😊

It’s just a special skill that we start working on when they start jet training. It’s the only part of the flight where everyone on the ship can see how good you are.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm betting their eyes were the same size as their helmets, too!

As I've often said, military flying is never easy, but some of it is a wee bit easier than others. You guys did the hardest kind. I've always acknowledged and admired that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
at the rate of attrition we are seeing, will there be any left for combat? If there are, will they be effective at all. Looking more and more like another military mega billon dollar blunder.

What do you mean, "bunder". The transfer of money to the mil/ind. complex and the after career jobs for admirals and generals is right on track....

yeah, I forget the salient facts here

Sam......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Interesting audio at 0:05 to 0:11....(look at the men) (I agree, we're going down this road again) (that'll be a bullet) , (you know she could be a)...(garbled)....(that's an understatement)....

Sounds to me like a movie or TV show playing in the background.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't understand the continuing bashing of the F-35. I agree that it should not have been developed as three versions, and that it took way too long to perfect. Both those led to its astronomical cost. But I get to talk to AF F-35 pilots and they are universally effusive about its capabilities. If it were actually a dud, foreign countries would avoid it. Instead, they are falling over themselves to try to buy F-35s.

Some of you are just repeating what some other internet "expert" said - based on some rumor that's years old.

Most of it is just as you say.

I work with guys who have either flown it, been involved in its development, or doing contract tactics development for the F-35 and they say the system capabilities are incredible, really game changing. The multi-sensor integration between platforms is eye watering, you can have F-35's designated as strikers remain completely stealthy, not emitting anything, who can target the bad guys based off of data linked from aircraft 20 miles behind you. Every aircraft's sensors are feeding information to the other's so you see a picture of everything on your displays. You see everything on the battlefield, not just what your own sensors are showing you. It can integrate with other aircraft types so while the F-35 has limited internal payload for missiles and bombs to remain stealthy, it can act as a designator for a standoff F-15 or F/A-18 with a much larger loadout to designate while they shoot from behind.

The guys I know who've flown it say it really reshapes the air battlefield, it's like going form a flip phone to an Iphone.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Sounds to me like a movie or TV show playing in the background.

Yeah, could be something like that.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did the pilot survive?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Did the pilot survive?

I thought I heard the pilot ejected at some point, like when the bird was going overboard?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The pilot survived.

It is fascinating to see y'all expert guys discuss this matter. This is one reason I like this forum.
I knew some guys who were grunts in Vietnam, quite a few of them, but I don't know any pilots.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe when the Navy finishes their investigations, they will fill in some of the blanks to the public.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They will, but that will be a year or more from now. That's just how these investigations go - there are NO rushed conclusions.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd imagine right now the biggest thing is recovering the aircraft before someone else does.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Glad he made it.

I am MAGA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I don't understand the continuing bashing of the F-35. I agree that it should not have been developed as three versions, and that it took way too long to perfect. Both those led to its astronomical cost. But I get to talk to AF F-35 pilots and they are universally effusive about its capabilities. If it were actually a dud, foreign countries would avoid it. Instead, they are falling over themselves to try to buy F-35s.

Some of you are just repeating what some other internet "expert" said - based on some rumor that's years old.

Most of it is just as you say.

I work with guys who have either flown it, been involved in its development, or doing contract tactics development for the F-35 and they say the system capabilities are incredible, really game changing. The multi-sensor integration between platforms is eye watering, you can have F-35's designated as strikers remain completely stealthy, not emitting anything, who can target the bad guys based off of data linked from aircraft 20 miles behind you. Every aircraft's sensors are feeding information to the other's so you see a picture of everything on your displays. You see everything on the battlefield, not just what your own sensors are showing you. It can integrate with other aircraft types so while the F-35 has limited internal payload for missiles and bombs to remain stealthy, it can act as a designator for a standoff F-15 or F/A-18 with a much larger loadout to designate while they shoot from behind.

The guys I know who've flown it say it really reshapes the air battlefield, it's like going form a flip phone to an Iphone.

One of the guys I worked with is a retired Marine Bird whose last assignment was the F-35 and from what he told us, it’s exactly as you relate. By itself, the aircraft’s weapons system is incredible, especially with current missiles. We got to get in the mobile simulator and what it can do is simply amazing. Add to that data sharing with other sensors and aircraft is leaps ahead of any other systems. If you can see somebody visually or on your radar or any one else’s sensor, they’re in trouble.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
Jorge or navlav8r,

What consequences would the pilot face for an accident like this (UCMJ, punitive, career losss, etc)? I’ve always wondered about it, especially when it involves multi million dollar equipment and in a high speed environment.

Depends what comes out of the Mishap Investigation.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is no doubt it's an incredible piece of technology. The problem comes in when you look at the cost and what gets sacrificed to have a few shiny new objects. The strength, and downfall, of any program is requirements and the three versions plus multi-national requirements drove those so we ended up with such a long gestation period it required multiple technology injections to end up with a modern fighter. That costs huge $. At the time, open systems architecture was a concept and the F-35 was the first time it was implemented so on the positive side, it should be much easier to upgrade and keep current than any fighter before it.

However, it will never live up to it's original range requirement for example and that means it needs some sort of tanker, and alas, the S-3 tanker went away as a result of needing money to fund the JSF. Now the CVW has F-18 E/F tankers with so little "give" that the Navy must rely on big wing coalition tankers (KC-135, KC-10 etc) to execute the mission.

Essentially, because of JSF, the bill came due and the Carrier battle group, that circa 1991 could do virtually any type of mission from Deep Strike, Nuclear and conventional long range attack, Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (My fav!) Long Range War at Sea, Long range and close in Anti-submarine warfare, Intelligence Surveillance and Recon, Close air Support all as a self-contained package, has now been reduced to doing power projection inside of about 500 miles if it needs to be done organically.

Are carriers still valuable? Yep, but a a lot less flexible and capable than they were. If we have to defend Taiwan it's going to be an interesting plan. As always, the guys at the tip of the spear will get it done but we've done them no favors with betting so much on JSF.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
On a carrier like that how much can the deck pitch up and down and how is that taken into account?

if I haven't killed all my Mini / Air Boss cells, I think it's 20 ft of movement in 5 seconds. there are a lot of inputs whether to cancel flight ops. The LSOs and the CO will make the ultimate decisions.

sometimes MOVLAS (manually operated) is an option, but just as much as the amount of pitch, the speed (period) of the movement can also be a disaster.

IFLOLS gets all its pitch and roll from the ship. SPN-46 (?) and if the period of pitch is too fast the lens can't keep up.

That's not what happened here, lol.

OH, edit. there's a section in LSO NATOPS if you can get it to load that talks about pitching deck, high winds, changing the basic angle and stuff. I had to memorize that at one time...

Last edited by strikeu; 02/07/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There’s a couple of really big negatives with the F-35. First is short legs. This is a huge liability. Way too many aircraft are acting as tankers and tanking has inherent risks and leaves assets vulnerable. Relatively slow. Speed kills. Third is the maintenance and lower availability inherent in such a complex system. The F-35 has so much new technology but I hope they use the lessons learned and quickly move to the next generation of aircraft.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But I thought all carrier landings were controlled crash landings... Guess some are less controlled than others.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 3,491 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,402
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.