-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I am now outmoded as to experience and knowledge, I think I'll bow out of the thread. I am pretty sure, however, that the nugget who flew this F-35 into the ramp is toast, regardless of what the accident board finds. That's just how today's military is.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My boss headed up the testing program for the Air Force's F35 program. Understand it's not a carrier VSTOL but his take would be interesting.

Carpe' Scrotum
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I just can't see how a 35 is cheaper than a uggraded Gen4, but I'll take your word for it. And I realize these new all aspect ratio A_A misslies mitigate the need to turn and burn, but I can almost guarantee that time will come and when it does, all of the folks I've spoken with in the Navy that are still "in" and who Flew Tomcats and Hornets tell me the 35 is a pig in a knife fight.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The World’s First Female Pilot Of An F-35 Fighter Crashed In Her First Flight From the deck of a Carrier

https://1healthytips.co.uk/in-the-w...-35-fighter-crashed-in-the-first-flight/

[Linked Image from 1healthytips.co.uk]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ummm, the photo is of an Air Force pilot, who would never be on a carrier. Complete BS story.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Ummm, the photo is of an Air Force pilot, who would never be on a carrier. Complete BS story.

I noticed the patches on the jumpsuit too.
But it's on the internet so it must be true.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe her maternity flight suit got caught on the stick.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I just can't see how a 35 is cheaper than a uggraded Gen4, but I'll take your word for it. And I realize these new all aspect ratio A_A misslies mitigate the need to turn and burn, but I can almost guarantee that time will come and when it does, all of the folks I've spoken with in the Navy that are still "in" and who Flew Tomcats and Hornets tell me the 35 is a pig in a knife fight.

Economies of Scale, designed for easier manufacturing, composite materials, 1 engine, built in Electro Optical Targeting System, Built in Electronic Warfare System.

The Navy F-35C is G limited to 7.5Gs. That is a big compromise in manuvering so it makes sense what your Navy friends are saying.

The Air Force F-35A is limited to 9Gs and does well against Gen 4s that are carrying drop tanks, targeting pods, ECM pods, and ordinance.

A clean Viper or Hornet is going to be more manuverable than the heavier F-35A and add in the 7.5G limit on the Navy F-35C the dispartiy must be even worse.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for posting.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Losing these planes is bad (second one this year?).

What really troubles me tho is how TF these leaked videos get off the ship.

If people can sneak out a whole friggin’ video how hard would it be to send classified info?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Exchange pilot? 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Exchange pilot? 😊

Back "in the day", we had a USAF Exchange F-15 pilot and a German F-4 driver (he was attached to our A-6 outfit) and they were both damned good!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Economies of Scale, designed for easier manufacturing, composite materials, 1 engine, built in Electro Optical Targeting System, Built in Electronic Warfare System.

The Navy F-35C is G limited to 7.5Gs. That is a big compromise in manuvering so it makes sense what your Navy friends are saying.

The Air Force F-35A is limited to 9Gs and does well against Gen 4s that are carrying drop tanks, targeting pods, ECM pods, and ordinance.

A clean Viper or Hornet is going to be more manuverable than the heavier F-35A and add in the 7.5G limit on the Navy F-35C the dispartiy must be even worse.

35C has a bigger wing than A model. Max G is not a bad thing, but it is a somewhat fleeting benefit. Fights quickly slow down to below the speed necessary to generate those g’s. Rhinos have been beating Vipers in BFM often and that is a case of a 7.5g aircraft vs. a 9g aircraft. High AOA maneuverability, pointability, energy addition, etc. all matter too. Amongst the F/A-18E/F, F-16, F-35, the pilot still matters the most for training BFM employing only rear quarter heat and guns. The F-22 is in it’s own league. In an actual combat visual engagement, the helmet 9X/120 combo of the F-16, 15, and 18E/F trump all else. Bigger picture, the fact that the 35 is always clean is a big advantage over the 18 and 16. Not as big a gain over 15. Those little jets turn into rather slow, short range pigs when configured for combat. The 18E/F rails, ugh…Also, regarding G limits, the Navy limits to 7.5g for fatigue life. That does not imply the aircraft can’t do more if necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

35C has a bigger wing than A model. Max G is not a bad thing, but it is a somewhat fleeting benefit. Fights quickly slow down to below the speed necessary to generate those g’s. Rhinos have been beating Vipers in BFM often and that is a case of a 7.5g aircraft vs. a 9g aircraft. High AOA maneuverability, pointability, energy addition, etc. all matter too. Amongst the F/A-18E/F, F-16, F-35, the pilot still matters the most for training BFM employing only rear quarter heat and guns. The F-22 is in it’s own league. In an actual combat visual engagement, the helmet 9X/120 combo of the F-16, 15, and 18E/F trump all else. Bigger picture, the fact that the 35 is always clean is a big advantage over the 18 and 16. Not as big a gain over 15. Those little jets turn into rather slow, short range pigs when configured for combat. The 18E/F rails, ugh…Also, regarding G limits, the Navy limits to 7.5g for fatigue life. That does not imply the aircraft can’t do more if necessary.

The nose authority of the Superbug is legendary.

The helmet sight and HOBS missiles really help the Gen 4s but F-35 takes it way beyond High Off BoreSite with the ability to target and shoot at anything using the 360 degree DAS/ AESA radar and other F-35s DAS/AESA radars through the high bandwidth MADL.

My understanding is the G limit is a hard limit and the F-35 flight computer won't allow the pilot to over G.

One would assume in a time of war the limit could be changed in the software.

The F-35 might have the best accident rate of any fighter ever. Only 2 so far is pretty impressive for what is basically 3 different jets.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by prm

The nose authority of the Superbug is legendary.

The helmet sight and HOBS missiles really help the Gen 4s but F-35 takes it way beyond High Off BoreSite with the ability to target and shoot at anything using the 360 degree DAS/ AESA radar and other F-35s DAS/AESA radars through the high bandwidth MADL.

My understanding is the G limit is a hard limit and the F-35 flight computer won't allow the pilot to over G.

One would assume in a time of war the limit could be changed in the software.

The F-35 might have the best accident rate of any fighter ever. Only 2 so far is pretty impressive for what is basically 3 different jets.

I saw a documentary on the F-100 that was on Prime. Just imagine a new aircraft with those growing pains!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The hydraulic system failed on a Tomcat on its second flight and crashed. New jets are good, and I include the F-35 in that. Program cost is absurd, but I think it will be a good combat jet.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

It's obviously a stock/shopped photo.

Doesn't make the story "BS".

That it is a foreign media source reporting.

Think any US source reporting of the incident would get past the official narrative screening?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
This thread is fascinating. Thanks

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Heard from a friend of a friend still in the Navy that this was because of a 500+ kt break at the ship's bow which resulted in the engine still being at idle through the approach turn until rolling into the groove & trying to slow on speed. (Sorry for the lingo). Didn't start adding power to catch it until too late which ended with a ramp strike. The way it was put to me is "Jet didnt slow down enough for the landing auto stuff to engage". I'm unfamiliar with whatever landing auto mode the F-35 has, I guess it's what navlav8r was referring to, we didn't have anything like that.

The rumor is that the CAG LSO has a fractured skull and was blinded in one eye, at Balboa naval hospital now. Another rumor is that there is one in a hospital in Manila that's a double amputee. This is what I heard through the old guy's grapevine but is unconfirmed.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,622
Posts18,533,135
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.