Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have bought and sold on this forum. But, I have never done a trade. I don't understand how you go about it in a non FTF situation where both parties have to ship to each other.

1st party ships to 2nd party for approval?
Then, upon approval 2nd party ships to 1st party for approval?
If either party disapproves the whole thing is off and items are returned both parties?

Or, does both parties ship at the same time?

I know pictures are worth a thousand words but if one party does not accept the item shipping could get expensive.

I have avoided trades because it seems like a recipe for disaster.

So, how do you do it?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why would it be substantially different than a sale, which is a 'trade'...... cash for item.

You don't get to see the item until you have sent your part of the 'trade'.....

Both sales and trades involve some measure of trust...... as best you can, know who you are trying to deal with.

JMHO....

Last edited by Muffin; 02/11/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Both ship at the same time. Both parties just have to agree. Same as with buying and sell, communication and depending on what it is, pictures.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jwheeler
I have bought and sold on this forum. But, I have never done a trade. I don't understand how you go about it in a non FTF situation where both parties have to ship to each other.

1st party ships to 2nd party for approval?
Then, upon approval 2nd party ships to 1st party for approval?
If either party disapproves the whole thing is off and items are returned both parties?

Or, does both parties ship at the same time?

I know pictures are worth a thousand words but if one party does not accept the item shipping could get expensive.

I have avoided trades because it seems like a recipe for disaster.

So, how do you do it?

With good post count, seller ships second, after buyer ships their item. Both shipping insured. Items pass in the mail.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have only traded here a couple of times with a very highly regarded, long-time member of the forum*. I would be hesitant to trade ftf with a lesser known member.

*Cariboujack - hands down, the best friend I've never met. God Bless.

Last edited by JeffyD; 02/11/22.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Muffin
Why would it be substantially different than a sale, which is a 'trade'...... cash for item.

You don't get to see the item until you have sent your part of the 'trade'.....

Both sales and trades involve some measure of trust...... as best you can, know who you are trying to deal with.

JMHO....

I would think the difference is that nobody is going to reject the cash/payment.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It is tough to trade sight unseen. Get lots of pictures, PM, email and talk to each other by phone. Look at your trader’s activity on web sites and auction sites to be sure they are a respected member, and don't forget that your FFL guy is not going to be happy with a gun that is rejected that he now has to return. I have done it myself but only after confidence in the other guy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have traded scopes a couple times on here. We just sent the scopes to each other at the same time, give or take a day. One time there was cash involved and it was folded and put in with the scope. Went well both times but I can see where someone would hesitate to trade with a member with a low post count. Sometimes you just have to trust people.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I view a trade the exact same as a sale. The only thing that is different is the form or method of payment. All terms are always negotiable between the parties.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I prefer to trade with only those who have low post counts, reply to WTB ads via PM, and who promise to ship only after I have given them my bank account and routing numbers.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Don’t trade without lots of pictures or with someone with low post count. Look at their join date as a newbie may make lots of comments. Ship at the same time. If a firearm is involved speak to him and his ffl

"We don't rent pigs"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quick shoutout to AdamT204. Good guyto deal with.

Did a trade with him a bit ago and was super simple, we just mailed scopes to each other and send tracking info.

I would not trust everybody this way; they are certainly those who enjoy their presence on the fire, and contribute regularly and in a variety of ways, and for the most part those people they don't want to [bleep] where they eat.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
With everyone having cell phones I don’t see a problem. Just exchange phone # s and send pictures to each other. Get verbal description and both ship upon agreement.

Join date is more important to me than # of posts. Lots of guys just read a lot.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have done several trades of brass, bullets and scopes, but no guns. In all the instances we first traded photos, and shipped the items on the same day to each.

The ONLY problem occurred with a scope trade. He was in Maine, and I'm in Montana. The scope he shipped (USPS priority mail insured) got here in three days. The scope I shipped (same method) didn't arrive in three days, or a week. I suggested we give it a little more time, because USPS tracking showed it had gotten to Maine, though not to his town. But when it still hadn't show in two weeks I was about to write him a check--but he received the scope the same day!

I asked my postmaster what the problem might have been, and she said the package probably got stuck in one of the bags they use for smaller packages, but didn't know for sure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just realized I did not specify a particular item. But I was thinking gun trading.

For example,
Two girls ship a firearm to each other. Both pay shipping and FFL transfer fees. They notice the camo on the gun don't match the pink camo on their stockings and decide to call off the deal. Both pay shipping and FFL fees to rectify this terrible misunderstanding. Meanwhile everything is being charged to husbands credit card. Sends chills down my back.

Last edited by jwheeler; 02/11/22.

Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
With today's technology, I would recommend a Zoom call or Facetime call with the other person. That way you can ask questions and see, in real time, the item up close. That will mitigate any of the "big" items, plus help you get comfortable with each other.
After that, it comes down to trust. You have to trust that person, they have to trust you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
like above post said, long time member, looking at posts by several different people you get a good idea on who's ok, I sold a gun and sent it before receiving payment, I don't recommend it but I knew the member was good for it. just did a multi gun trade with some one I had before, he did not ask to see pic of one because I told him as new, so, if it feels good go for it

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
How about each pay each other agreed amount with paypal Services and goods that way there is protection.Might be worth the 3%

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAKAIRA
How about each pay each other agreed amount with paypal Services and goods that way there is protection.Might be worth the 3%

Paypal Goods and Services will not help you in a gun transaction.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A tough one, I view it as a road trip if in a days drive, if not, good luck.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.