Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in WI - we seem to have a lot of regional outdoors programming on TV. Local-ish shows that focus on game/hunting in the upper midwest. Walley fishing, grouse, pheasants, etc.

Is that something that's only up here or do you guys down south have it too? Local, small name (in national scale) guys on TV hosting shows specific to your geography?

The stuff up here - I enjoy it better than the national stuff. I've never been big on RealTree, Lakoskis etc or any of those guys.

Give me the local TV personality doing stuff within 12-18 hours of my house with gear that looks like mine every time.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched this show on sunday afternoons at my grannies house when i was a kid.

I like the Big Billy Kinder radio show, it comes on here in Saturday afternoons.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We’ve had Michigan Out Of Doors here on PBS going back for decades. That’s the only hunting/fishing show that I watch. I definitely prefer the local stuff over national for the reasons OP mentioned.

Michigan Out Of Doors used be must watch TV years ago especially up at hunting camp with only a few channels to choose from and PBS one. I stream an episode occasionally still but that’s about it. The current owner/host seems like a good dude and does a pretty decent job but I think the previous owner Fred Trost was better and the original though before my time Mort Neff was supposedly better still. Back in the pre internet days I looked forward to the hunting and fishing reports on those shows.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mort Neff, not sure of the spelling, was Michigan out doors! Then came Jerry Chapeta then Fred Trost. Always on Thursday evening! A friend and neighbor has a small out door show called Hunt Hard, just him and his buddies filming there hunts all fair chase, no high fence stuff. Alot of youth hunts. Yup rather watch them than the big name boys, anytime!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bettin' you've got no 'gator hunting in WI'
"Choot 'im!" smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fred Trost was a good guy. Met him at some clays shoots in the Yoop back in the 90s.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I like the Big Billy Kinder radio show, it comes on here in Saturday afternoons.

Lol, Ol Virgil Ward of the Ozarks. In the very early days of cable, I watched it, like you, at my Grandparent’s house down here in S FL. To this day, I have no idea how I made it through an episode of that show, especially given that we had much better bass fishing right outside their back door on the golf course lake. The only good part of that show was getting to sit and watch it with my Grandparents, who are long since passed today. I guess as kids we had limited choices for “TV Fishing’” Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me and a buddy went to The Eastern Sports & Outdoors Show in Harrisburg a few year ago.
That was during the time when they weren’t allowing gun venders.
Without the guns, I thought it a waste of time.
If you’re looking to book a guided hunt or fishing trip it be a good spot for talking to potential guides.
They usually have one in Altoona in late February or March. We occasionally go, but as I said I’m more interested in shooting than I am hunting at my age.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Lol, Ol Virgil Ward of the Ozarks. In the very early days of cable, I watched it, like you, at my Grandparent’s house down here in S FL. To this day, I have no idea how I made it through an episode of that show, especially given that we had much better bass fishing right outside their back door on the golf course lake. The only good part of that show was getting to sit and watch it with my Grandparents, who are long since passed today. I guess as kids we had limited choices for “TV Fishing’” Lol.

Just guessing...

Had to been mid to late 80’s?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thought the boys up North all watched the Red Green Show.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
IC B3

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I remember watching Harold Ensley, "The Sportsman's Friend".

G23

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would if it was still on!
The “Handyman’s Corner” was always full of great tips! grin
“If she don’t find you handsome, she should at least find you handy!!”
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (1_deuce, 673, 79S, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 21 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,498
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.