Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Just looked at the Havak PH2 model. Looks like a pretty good rifle for under 2 grand. Can you guys give me some input on seekins rifles?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sure seem like a whole bunch of rifle for the $$$.
The spiral-fluted barrel has always seemed a bit peculiar to me as the standard offering. With so many individual preferences for barrel length, it sure seems quite limiting for those would potentially want to chop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have one in 7mm Rem Mag. I don’t love the optics of the spiral flutes, but understand the rational in terms of keeping weight moderate while having a beefier contour barrel.

Other than the look of the barrel, I love everything about it. The action felt rough out of the box, but an hour on the couch cycling it while watching TV and it feels smoother than anything in my safe.

I’ve only loaded 180 Bergers for it, but it’s a consistent 1/2 MOA gun out to 650ish, which is the furthest I’ve shot it so far.

It’s simply a fantastic rifle in my limited experience/opinion. I wish the 7Mag was 24” instead of the 26”, but that’s a personal preference deal.

My one call to Seekins was a favorable experience as well. Their people know their chit and we’re great to talk to.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 02/13/22.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have one in 300 prc as well as use the action for a 280 ai. I like them a lot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy it...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d listen to this gent, as he actually gets out and “hunts”… Hint

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Iddave gets after it.👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Iddave gets after it.👍

Glad you clarified who you were talking about my man with your comment. I wouldn't want the viewers to think you were talking about me...😂

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by iddave
I have one in 7mm Rem Mag. I don’t love the optics of the spiral flutes, but understand the rational in terms of keeping weight moderate while having a beefier contour barrel.

Other than the look of the barrel, I love everything about it. The action felt rough out of the box, but an hour on the couch cycling it while watching TV and it feels smoother than anything in my safe.

I’ve only loaded 180 Bergers for it, but it’s a consistent 1/2 MOA gun out to 650ish, which is the furthest I’ve shot it so far.

It’s simply a fantastic rifle in my limited experience/opinion. I wish the 7Mag was 24” instead of the 26”, but that’s a personal preference deal.

My one call to Seekins was a favorable experience as well. Their people know their chit and we’re great to talk to.

Dave

I agree with this post. I have an original Havak PH in 6.5 PRC. All I've done is upgraded magazines from their carbon fiber mag, which frankly calling it rough is being nice. Mine is extremely accurate out to 1,050 yards which is as far as I've shot it with both bullets I've wanted it to shoot well.

For a production custom rifle, IMO, it doesn't get much better. I wouldn't sell mine for close to $2k....

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

Iddave gets after it.👍

Glad you clarified who you were talking about my man with your comment. I wouldn't want the viewers to think you were talking about me...😂

Jud used the reply function, so his post was addressed to iddave...Come on my man!

I need to check out Seekins rifles. Have heard lots of good about them.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by GregW

Iddave gets after it.👍

Jud used the reply function, so his post was addressed to iddave...Come on my man!

I need to check out Seekins rifles. Have heard lots of good about them.

🤣

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How you been Greg?

I haven't seen you post much lately. I guess the season may just be wrapping up for you all down in the SW huh?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A buddy just picked up a used Havak 6.5PRC and shot it today.

Factory 147 ELD-M - 3 shots:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

First two loads he threw together with IMR7828/147 ELD-M and IMR4831/130 Berger:

Hard to argue with that…

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two havak rifles, one in 300 win the other 6.5 PRC. They are easily the finest production rifles I have ever used. I simply have to complaints. They both shoot excellent, and fit/finish/function are top notch. I really like the carbon fiber magazines.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a first gen 6 CM for a while and it was an incredibly accurate rifle. I sold it to pick up another in 6.5 CM to match with a light rifle I carry. It is also extremely accurate and very easy to shoot. As an overall package they are a really nice blueprint for a sporter weight rifle that's not to heavy to carry. For anyone looking at the 6.5 PRC the mag box for them is a really nice design that gives some OAL flexibility. Seekins puts some thought into their design and it shows in the end product.

My only complaint is that the stock doesn't come with side flush cups. I spoke to them about adding some and they said they didn't feel there was adequate side wall strength of the stock to hold up to it so I haven't done it.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Alot of good info. Sure sounds like a solid rifle. Thanks guys!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Dave

Dave, you have a rough idea of velocity you're getting to push those 180's?

Seeing the new 'Mountain Shadow' color combo has me rethinking the CTR .223 I want.

Last edited by Heeler; 02/14/22. Reason: Fix grammar to keep the Nazis happy.

He went over yonder way
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Haha…thanks Jud. Pretty sure Greg has tagged an animal or two as well.

I’m by no means an expert, but there are a lot of features to like about the Havak PH2 rifles. The looong magazine box allows you to seat the heavies way out there. Their proprietary rail is as good (or better) as anything money can buy.

Stock design is favorable for comfortable prone shooting. Trigger is fantastic. Rock Creek barrels don’t suck.

Stock is mostly plastic, but stiffer than an 18yo’s pecker. Bedding was fantastic as well.

Action is a custom of their own design that seems to be as good as anybody elses.

Very, VERY few negative posts about them, which is saying something in a time where anyone with even a minor gripe usually blasts a manufacturer on the www.

They offer a LOT of value, given their components and construction. The newest iterations offer cerakote over the stainless barrel/actions, as well as a sponge paint approach to the stock,…which makes them an even better value than my version. If you price the components individually, it’s tough to see where their profit margin is honestly.

Finally, they’re made in Idaho…ands EVERYONE knows how handsome and smart the residents of Idaho are.

Dave…Idaho Resident

Last edited by iddave; 02/14/22.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Finally, they’re made in Idaho…ands EVERYONE knows how handsome and smart the residents of Idaho are.

laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Heeler

Dave

Dave, you have a rough idea of velocity you're getting to push those 180's?

Seeing the new 'Mountain Shadow' color combo has me rethinking the CTR .223 I want.

Heeler,

I'm at 2,925ish for the 180 VLDs with Reloader 23. I suspect more velocity is available with Retumbo or H1000, but I had three pounds of the R23 on hand and the rifle has been so boringly consistent with it that I didn't go chasing.

These are the last three shots my goofy 19yo put through it at 625 last weekend.

Dave

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,419
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.