Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Please check this thread on Sunday's plane crash - I would be interested in hearing y'all's theories about what may have happened. NC plane crash

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Way too many unknowns to make even an educated guess but I’ll try. I will say, the PC12 is an extremely advanced aircraft that is sold to “owner/operators” and can be very challenging if things go wrong. I did a lot of mentoring for newly trained “owner/operators” and without exception their minds were rarely on the flying and were on something else. (i.e. business deals, home life issues, next meeting…) the PC12 is highly automated which relieves the pilots workload. One simple failure of a component or a little WX that was unexpected and things need concentration fast.

To be clear, I AM NOT BLAMING THE PILOT! I’m just giving a VERY early educated guess of a POSSIBLE situation.

Last edited by gluck; 02/15/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gluck
Way too many unknowns to make even an educated guess but I’ll try. I will say, the PC12 is an extremely advanced aircraft that is sold to “owner/operators” and can be very challenging if things go wrong. I did a lot of mentoring for newly trained “owner/operators” and without exception their minds were rarely on the flying and were on something else. (i.e. business deals, home life issues, next meeting…) the PC12 is highly automated which relieves the pilots workload. One simple failure of a component or a little WX that was unexpected and things need concentration fast.

To be clear, I AM NOT BLAMING THE PILOT! I’m just giving a VERY early educated guess of a POSSIBLE situation.

I can see that being the case here. The owner (and pilot at the time) was supposedly a middle-aged wealthy "entrepreneur" - although he was supposedly instrument-qualified, he probably had "too much plane for his experience". Total speculation on my part, though - but that is so often the case with business owners, doctors, lawyers, etc. who have a little bit of money and decide to get themselves a plane. My wealthy contractor cousin bought himself a Beachcraft Baron to hop around the U.S. on, but thankfully he kept a professional pilot on standby to fly the thing for him instead of doing it himself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP, don't forget to include John Burns in any analysis. John had dinner with a pilot last year.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So no pilot on board other than the owner? The news articles I’ve read all mentioned a pilot in addition to the owner.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There was another pilot on board, and he was a friend of mine; as was his son, who was on board the plane as well. A wife/ mother and daughter/sister survive them. So very sad for all who are impacted, myself included.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Condolences There ya go.
So sorry for your loss.
I can’t imagine what the families are going through.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
There was another pilot on board, and he was a friend of mine; as was his son, who was on board the plane as well. A wife/ mother and daughter/sister survive them. So very sad for all who are impacted, myself included.

Sorry for the loss of your friend and his son. Was your friend flying as co-pilot of the plane, or was he just another person on board who happened to be a pilot?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
OP, don't forget to include John Burns in any analysis. John had dinner with a pilot last year.

Heh
Double ace?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A friend of my son’s is a pilot. He called the PC-12 a “dope ass turbo prop.”

Yes, he’s a kid, but he thinks highly of the model.

Prayers to the survivors.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
A friend of my son’s is a pilot. He called the PC-12 a “dope ass turbo prop.”

Yes, he’s a kid, but he thinks highly of the model.

Prayers to the survivors.

P

I’ve had a chance to spend a few hours in the right seat of one as a passenger.
I would agree with his assessment. Incredible machine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aircraft accident investigation is a painstaking analysis and it serves no purpose to speculate what caused the accident. Condolences to family and friends, but let the pros do their work.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The PC12 is an amazing aircraft. Another thing to consider is that it is a single pilot aircraft. Having more than one pilot in the plane can be both helpful and confusing, especially when things go wrong. If the 2nd pilot wasn’t actively engaged as a pilot while the flight was going well, he/she may have been confused about the state of the aircraft when something goes wrong. Tying to give advice without knowing the whole picture is sometimes not good.

Being trained on instruments, or having an instrument rating is a far cry from being instrument current and competent.

Again, I have no idea what happened here and all of my comments are pure speculation.

Last edited by gluck; 02/15/22.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Aircraft accident investigation is a painstaking analysis and it serves no purpose to speculate what caused the accident. Condolences to family and friends, but let the pros do their work.

This is totally correct. I would add though, that speculating about what may have happened can make people think before acting. We won’t know what happened here until they find the plane, put it back together, and analyze lots of data. Possibly years if ever before we know. Talking about it may make people realize the dangers that are inevitably involved.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Sorry for the loss of your friend and his son. Was your friend flying as co-pilot of the plane, or was he just another person on board who happened to be a pilot?

Neither he nor his son were duck hunters, so I am assuming at this point that the only reason for him to have been on board was to pilot the plane. His son, I would assume, was simply along for the ride, spending time with his Dad.

Sending you a PM.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Neither he nor his son were duck hunters, so I am assuming at this point that the only reason for him to have been on board was to pilot the plane. His son, I would assume, was simply along for the ride, spending time with his Dad.

Sending you a PM.

10-4. I just saw that the Carteret County Sheriff's Office released the names of everyone - the pilot was a 67 year old with 20+ years experience and multi-rated.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So damn sad.
Ernest Durwood Rawls, 67, Greenville, NC, Pilot
Jeffrey Worthington Rawls, 28, Greenville, NC
Stephanie Ann McInnis Fulcher, 42, Sea Level, NC
Jonathan Kole McInnis, 15, Sea Level, NC
Douglas Hunter Parks, 45, Sea Level, NC
Noah Lee Styron, 15, Cedar Island, NC
Michael Daily Shepard, 15, Atlantic, NC
Jacob Nolan Taylor, 16, Atlantic, NC

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The NTSB will eventually figure it out but it’ll take a while. Radar tapes with altitudes, track, etc along with any communications will probably play a big part. The way recovered parts are bent and torn can give an idea of the attitude of the aircraft when it hit and what it was doing. Being over water will make it that much harder.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I posted on the previous thread. IMC conditions, spatial disorientation, stall...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.