Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I remember correctly, he's going to be moving to Chattanooga. For sitting in fence rows and tree lines hunting groundhogs, coyotes, or crows I imagine that scope setup will be just fine.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Paul,

Is the height comfortable? It seems low, if that is a 40MM objective scope the centerline of the scope seems to be about 1" from the top of the rail.

I like my scopes forward, I really crawl up on a gun.

Another item of which I have grown fond is the UBR stocks, mainly because the cheekpiece stays in the same position no matter the length of the stock. It is also extremely solid.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the UBR is also not a "beard-grabber". That can't be said for all adjustable stock patterns.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Looks like the UBR is also not a "beard-grabber". That can't be said for all adjustable stock patterns.

You’re not [bleep] there. I need to tape mine cause it’ll rip and tear at mine pretty quick.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Paul,

Is the height comfortable? It seems low, if that is a 40MM objective scope the centerline of the scope seems to be about 1" from the top of the rail.

I like my scopes forward, I really crawl up on a gun.

Another item of which I have grown fond is the UBR stocks, mainly because the cheekpiece stays in the same position no matter the length of the stock. It is also extremely solid.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It's a one inch scope on high rings. I like the way that it mounts up. Feels very natural. I am the opposite of you. I tend to stay well back on my scopes rather than crawling them. I feel very uncomfortable with a shortened LOP. I may find that when I go to the bench with it that I want to adjust it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It's a one inch scope on high rings. I like the way that it mounts up. Feels very natural. I am the opposite of you. I tend to stay well back on my scopes rather than crawling them. I feel very uncomfortable with a shortened LOP. I may find that when I go to the bench with it that I want to adjust it.

Probably going to want it a bit higher and quite a bit further forward for field shooting.

I run a 1/2 inch riser bridging the upper to the handguard and high rings.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You might have a look at where the ocular is in relation to the trigger on your bolt guns as like LOP it all really matters relative to the shooting hand plavement and the trigger.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Paul,
You're getting a lot of good advise from some very good AR shooters. If you spend an afternoon shooting from a variety of field positions, you'll quickly see what they are talking about.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Paul,
You're getting a lot of good advise from some very good AR shooters. If you spend an afternoon shooting from a variety of field positions, you'll quickly see what they are talking about.

The nice thing is it takes less time to yak about it then move it forward and act as well. One of the beauties is you’re zero won’t likely change either while you experiment with it.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had no issues without a riser. But I know how to work without one. I think Paul can too.

That said I"ve put risers on all guns except one so far. And while I don't have the scope much further forward some forward makes the other positions in the field easier.

One of those things that seems nice anyway. Mid rings, short riser and you have options,.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Paul,

And that won't be a bad learning experience. I do appreciate all of the advice and information. It has obviously shaped my decision making heavily to this point and will likely continue to do so in the future.

I just realized that I won't be able to use a bipod with my current handguard, unless there's something out there that I am not aware of.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Probably going to want it a bit higher and quite a bit further forward for field shooting.

I run a 1/2 inch riser bridging the upper to the handguard and high rings.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You might have a look at where the ocular is in relation to the trigger on your bolt guns as like LOP it all really matters relative to the shooting hand plavement and the trigger.

I am not 100% sure I am tracking John. This is representative of the trigger to ocular relationship on my bolt guns, so it seems as if I am consistent.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just realized that I won't be able to use a bipod with my current handguard, unless there's something out there that I am not aware of.

No Mlok slots on the bottom of the handguard?

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...od-black-sku100029335-119659-223127.aspx

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Paul, it ain’t a big deal. Enough shooting and you’ll see what works. Takes a minute to move it quickly.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone

So that's what M-LOK is all about? lol. I certainly don't mind putting my ignorance on parade.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Paul, it ain’t a big deal. Enough shooting and you’ll see what works. Takes a minute to move it quickly.

And you've laid out the path forward if I can't get cozy with the current configuration. Cheap and easy!

I really do appreciate all of the feedback I am getting here. Please don't think I ain't paying attention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

So that's what M-LOK is all about? lol. I certainly don't mind putting my ignorance on parade.
Everybody starts out ignorant. It's the one's that don't learn that make for good jokes. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am not 100% sure I am tracking John. This is representative of the trigger to ocular relationship on my bolt guns, so it seems as if I am consistent.

Use a tape measure to see where the ocular is relative to the trigger.

From just your pictures the ocular on the AR is a full 4 inches behind the trigger.

The bolt guns look closer to 2 inches.

You might be extending the stock on the AR and adding lenght of pull.

Do you know what is your prefered lenght of pull?

Rifle fit is really as important as shotgun fit and a fun disscussion as ARs can be shot very fast when setup to fit the individual.

I know few get whinny when I post videos but here are good examples of fit across platforms and how it helps.

AR-15/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 1/2 inch LOP, sight 2 1/4 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Bolt gun/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 5/8 inch LOP, sight 2 3/8 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Obvioulsy different optics will have different eye relief.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Use a tape measure to see where the ocular is relative to the trigger.

From just your pictures the ocular on the AR is a full 4 inches behind the trigger.

The bolt guns look closer to 2 inches.

You might be extending the stock on the AR and adding lenght of pull.

Do you know what is your prefered lenght of pull?

Rifle fit is really as important as shotgun fit and a fun disscussion as ARs can be shot very fast when setup to fit the individual.

I know few get whinny when I post videos but here are good examples of fit across platforms and how it helps.

AR-15/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 1/2 inch LOP, sight 2 1/4 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Bolt gun/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 5/8 inch LOP, sight 2 3/8 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Obvioulsy different optics will have different eye relief.

That is badass hitting those clays. I did some measuring. I need to move forward with the scope about an inch. I can move the forward ring forward one more slot and the rear one can come forward two more. I went prone with it, and found myself wanting to move it forward for optimal eye relief. The height felt good, but I'll get a better sense for that after I put it to use. My favored LOP is 13 1/2 or more. I have tried compact stocks and loathe them.

Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is badass hitting those clays. I did some measuring. I need to move forward with the scope about an inch. I can move the forward ring forward one more slot and the rear one can come forward two more. I went prone with it, and found myself wanting to move it forward for optimal eye relief. The height felt good, but I'll get a better sense for that after I put it to use. My favored LOP is 13 1/2 or more. I have tried compact stocks and loathe them.

Thanks.

While you are measuring you might want to measure sight over comb.

The bolt action in your pictures have the sight (scope center) quite a bit higher over the comb (Cheek of the stock) than the AR setup you posted.

My opinion is that height of sight over the stock comb should be the same for all platforms.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks.

While you are measuring you might want to measure sight over comb.

The bolt action in your pictures have the sight (scope center) quite a bit higher over the comb (Cheek of the stock) than the AR setup you posted.

My opinion is that height of sight over the stock comb should be the same for all platforms.

I ordered a riser extension rail yesterday!

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 37 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,489
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.